Author Topic: Help! Avast preventing downloading of POP3 mail to Thunderbird  (Read 14534 times)

LGM

Re: Help! Avast preventing downloading of POP3 mail to Thunderbird
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 02:11:29 PM »

Out of curiosity, does the Verizon account require encryption. I see in your first post you said TB encryption is set to "none," but does the account require encryption? If not and your incoming mail isn't encrypted then there may not be an entry required in the Expert Settings>SSL Accounts. That may be why it's not there.

Go to Expert Settings>SSL Accounts and click the question mark at the bottom of the page and read the help file that comes up. See if that's of any help. :)

No, the Verizon-Yahoo account doesn't require encryption. Because I have it set to none and the account works properly in Thunderbird, just so long as I disable mail filtering for incoming mail in Avast.

I just read the help file under SSL Accounts and can see nothing there that might help that hasn't already been tried.

sded

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 02:26:33 PM »
Sorry; I misunderstood and thought that verizon.net was an encrypted account like the others.  It should work without any entry in the SSL table if that is the case, so don't see offhand what the problem is.  One other thing to try though:  Put an entry in the ssl table that says verizon.net 110 pop3 none, essentially redirecting to the same settings you have in TB.  For mail filtering, you have both "scan inbound messages" on the main mail shield tab and "scan inbound mail" on the expert settings/main settings checked?

LGM

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2010, 03:40:17 PM »
One other thing to try though:  Put an entry in the ssl table that says verizon.net 110 pop3 none, essentially redirecting to the same settings you have in TB.

Made no difference. Still got the error message in Thunderbird with the yellow triangle in it.

For mail filtering, you have both "scan inbound messages" on the main mail shield tab and "scan inbound mail" on the expert settings/main settings checked?

They were checked. But someone suggested on the Verizon forum that I uncheck "scan inbound messages" instead of totally disabling Avast in order to get my Verizon-Yahoo account working. So by unchecking that, I can keep the rest of Avast working while my Verizon-Yahoo account fully works in Thunderbird.

Obviously this is a less-than-satisfactory workaround as now none of my incoming mail in any of the 4 mail accounts is being filtered by Avast. Is my mail (passwords or otherwise) now at risk for being hijacked/stolen?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 03:43:15 PM by LGM »

sded

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 04:30:33 PM »
At this point I would suggest a full uninstall and reinstall of avast!, using the avast! removal tool at http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility .  Something is just not working the way it should if the unencrypted mail settings do not just get passed through avast! transparently from TB.

sded

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 07:49:57 PM »
One other question comes to mind-what are you using for a firewall?  Does anything show up as being  blocked in the log?  Do you have rules to allow AvastSvc.exe TCP out on port 110 for the unencrypted connection?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 07:52:33 PM by sded »

LGM

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2010, 02:20:47 PM »
At this point I would suggest a full uninstall and reinstall of avast!, using the avast! removal tool at http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility .  Something is just not working the way it should if the unencrypted mail settings do not just get passed through avast! transparently from TB.

I reinstalled twice. Someone on the Verizon forum suggested I reinstall so I did that once using just the Windows unintstaller. Nothing changed. Then I tried again using the Avast uninstall utility and booting into safe mode. Nothing changed.  ???

One other question comes to mind-what are you using for a firewall?  Does anything show up as being  blocked in the log?  Do you have rules to allow AvastSvc.exe TCP out on port 110 for the unencrypted connection?

Already addressed in my second post in this thread. Comodo is not the problem. With just Comodo running, all mail accounts work fine in Thunderbird. With Comodo disabled and all mail filters in Avast running, I get the error message. It clearly is something wrong between the interaction of Avast and that particular mail server.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 02:31:06 PM by LGM »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2010, 02:30:37 PM »
I sent this topic to support...
Hope they can help you with this issue..!
Have a nice day,
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

LGM

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2010, 02:32:19 PM »
Asyn, thank you so much. Do I need to send them my email address?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2010, 02:33:58 PM »
Asyn, thank you so much. Do I need to send them my email address?

You're welcome..!
No, they already know it... ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

LGM

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2010, 02:37:39 PM »
BTW, in case this helps, I asked on the Verizon forum who actually owns and manages this server, as there is both "yahoo" and "verizon" in the server name. Someone there said they believe it is actually Yahoo. Maybe this matters?