Author Topic: Speaking of registry TRY this out  (Read 8286 times)

KezzerDrix

Speaking of registry TRY this out
« on: August 20, 2004, 09:13:18 PM »
http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

This is a registry scanner and fixer, I have been looking for a good free one for awhile.
Try out this program and tell me what you think?

« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 09:13:57 PM by KezzerDrix »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Speaking of registry TRY this out
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 09:33:08 PM »
Just like all the others I've seen, it promise a lot but doesn't do as promised.

KezzerDrix

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 09:37:41 PM »
Please elaborate,

I ran it on my comp and it found 1065 problems, I then closed out of it and ran nortons windoctor which said I had no problems.  Again I ran regseeker and deleted the entries it discovered.  No adverse effects,  It seems pretty thourough to me.

Thanks

softwareguy

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 09:51:14 PM »
Sometimes, deleting what registry cleaners think are "problems" causes hidden problems such as Internet Explorer not being able to open Flash (.swf) files.

lee16

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004, 12:14:26 AM »
Sometimes, deleting what registry cleaners think are "problems" causes hidden problems such as Internet Explorer not being able to open Flash (.swf) files.

I can votch for that, stay away from registry cleaners.

--lee

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2004, 02:10:35 AM »
If you have to use a registry cleaner and I don't care which one, the first step should be a back-up of your registry.
As faR AS Norton Utilities goes, it's not the most compleat reg. cleaner but, it at least doesn't delete reg. keys needed by the operating system.
And as softwareguy says, some of the reg. tweaks can take a long time before they show up. Usually by then, it's to late to fix anything.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Negeltu

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2004, 02:54:48 AM »
Registry cleaners are great if you KNOW what you are doing.  

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2004, 03:55:29 AM »
KezzerDrix wrote:
This is a registry scanner and fixer, I have been looking for a good free one for awhile.
Try out this program and tell me what you think?

I'm using it since RejZor pointed on that program and gave us a link for SnapFiles... something very useful and very helpful. Thumbs up !

Just like all the others I've seen, it promise a lot but doesn't do as promised.

It does exactly what they promised it will do... just play around with it little bit more...  ;)

Negeltu wrote:
Registry cleaners are great if you KNOW what you are doing.

Well said ! You can't just search for some particular registry keys and then wipe them all without backing up or checking what registry keys are still needed... cleaning of registry should be done very very carefully.

Conclusion: Reg Cleaners are great if you know how to use them. I have had no problems at all in my whole life, and believe me I work with computers for last 18 years, to be true, not so long with registry cleaners, but you'll get the picture.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2004, 02:06:10 PM »
I have used the regseeker program for a few months now and it is a very powerful (dangerous too) and usefull tool.

It took some time to get used to the interface (I was used to ticking boxes to indicate which entries to delete) which could use a good deal of improvement. There is potential for accidental deletion because if you click on a registry key to obtain more information, that entry remains highlighted and liable for deletion when you select delete.

So after examination, it proves to be required, you must ensure the entry is still not highlighted for deletion.

Like the program don't like the interface.

Like all things it is a tool that you have to learn to use it otherwise you can do serious damage.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Max M.Wachtel III

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2004, 06:32:56 AM »
I have been using it now for a couple of months-no problems so far
-max

huggybaby2000

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2004, 05:11:14 AM »
I've used RegSeeker for over two years now. I know of its use on 6 different machines, all with no problems.
The reason I recommend this program to friends is because it is NOT as aggressive as some of the other registry cleaners. As such, I have never known it to hose a system or break any application or associations.
I am in the middle of testing 12 different registry cleaners (for XP, though I think most work with 98 et al).
I must say at this point that RegSeeker gets big points for being free. And it will find over 1000 things to clean on many systems that have never been scanned. A caveat: It will also find some that keep reappearing on every reboot (on my machine, anyway.) These are associations that different programs keep reapplying. and are not necessarily to be viewed as problems.
But if you're searching for something that is capable of cleaning even more, the best I've found so far are Regsupreme Pro and Perfect Companion.
If you want to talk dangerous, get Registry Drill. That one IS for high end users.
You can also get your cleaners going in circles. You may clean "Registry Entry Test", only to later see "Registry Entry Test.1". This means you've probably gone as far as you can for this entry. You will also find that different cleaners pick up different things. You can keep going in circles until they've all been reduced to their minimums.
So, don't be afraid to dig in, just backup your registry. My backup.reg is 26 MB and compresses to 1.6 MB.
Also, when you've finished cleaning up, make sure to use the free RegCompact utility.
Hope this helps.
Huggy