Author Topic: resolved Wanted to ask about avast 5.1 and it's behaviour sheild  (Read 3370 times)

Diddy

HI I have read that when Avast 5.1 free is released for the public to download that avast 5.1's behaviour sheild will not be fully active it will scan for attacks but it will not stop attacks it will send the data to avast software.  This function will not be active untill 2011.  What I would like to now is this a good idea for me to download avast 5.1 when it comes out of Beta.

I was also wondering is this something I should not be in a hurry wait until avast has behaviour sheild fully active in 2011?

I only want to ask this because I am an intermediat computer user and I do not want my computer to get attacked and not have avast to block that attack until 2011?

thanks.

have a great day

ps: I was not sure where to put this topic so I decided to put it here sorry

« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 09:37:12 AM by Diddy »

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Hello Diddy: So what are you using now to protect your computer if not Avast?
What OS are you running also any other security software install?

Gargamel360

Sure, 5.1 offers more improvements over previous versions, aside from the behavior shield issue.  Always try to keep the AV as up to date as possible, I would say.  But aside from that, please put that behavior shield real-world scanning to use. The more who do will likely play into making a better end product.

btw, your email is showing public, you might wish to hide it to avoid the spam harvest.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
I would still be interested in knowing how you are keeping your system safe. It can be dangerous on the internet if one doesn't have a good security setup. I'm only asking because you stated you are not experienced in this area. ;)

Diddy

Hello Diddy: So what are you using now to protect your computer if not Avast?
What OS are you running also any other security software install?

I am running Windows Vista home Basic computer system.  I do have avast 5.0 free the lasted program update.  I also have malwarebytes free version.

Diddy

I would still be interested in knowing how you are keeping your system safe. It can be dangerous on the internet if one doesn't have a good security setup. I'm only asking because you stated you are not experienced in this area. ;)

I have avast 5.0 free the lasted program update.  I also have windows Defender, Windows Firewall the one that comes installed on windows Vista, and I also use Malwarebytes free edition as well.  I always update it before I use it.

What I mean that  I not an advanced user in computer trouble shooting I am pretty experinced in terms of security software and keeping my computer safe on the internet.
I just like to tell people that I am only an intermediate computer user so they do not give me stuff to do with my computer that I do not feel comfortable doing that is all.

thanks for responding.

SafeSurf

I would highly suggest that you keep your Avast programs up to date.  I understand about not wanted to try out the beta versions, but when Avast updates it's programs you should also update as well since it makes improvements.  The release after 5.1 will be very soon.  Following this in early/mid 2011 will be the release of version 6.0.

Having Avast and MBAM are a good setup for your machine, so you should feel well protected.  What do you have for a firewall?

Diddy

I would highly suggest that you keep your Avast programs up to date.  I understand about not wanted to try out the beta versions, but when Avast updates it's programs you should also update as well since it makes improvements.  The release after 5.1 will be very soon.  Following this in early/mid 2011 will be the release of version 6.0.

Having Avast and MBAM are a good setup for your machine, so you should feel well protected.  What do you have for a firewall?

What I have for a firewall is the firewall that came installed on Vista witch is the Windows firewall it is always on.

SafeSurf

What I have for a firewall is the firewall that came installed on Vista witch is the Windows firewall it is always on.
You should be fine.  Everyone has their own "paranoia" level, so it is up to you how much you want to layer your security.  For now you are well protected.

You can always scan your machine with free Secunia Personal Software Inspector http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/ to make sure you have the latest software patches on your machine.  This site gives you the vendor's direct download link making it easy to patch any updates needed.  Many of us scan our machines weekly to add extra security since software is changing so often.

YoKenny

As SafeSurf says that you are good to go and I would keep Windows Defender up to date as its definitions are updated daily but not refreshed daily like avast!

Windows Defender portal:
Latest definition version: 1.95.2096.0
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Definitions/ADL.aspx

You could go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information  then update your Signature: with information like my signature as this helps the helpers offer pertinent advice.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 03:06:42 PM by YoKenny »