Author Topic: What security software need i worry about interacting with Avast?  (Read 5748 times)

nweissma

What general principles govern whether i need worry about avast interacting with security software? Thus, i know MBAM (on access) and AVAST Pro work well together but what about, eg, Microsoft Security Essentials?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: What security software need i worry about interacting with Avast?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 02:07:06 AM »
It conflicts with another (full) antivirus.
AIS is incompatible with other firewalls (generally).

avast is compatible with some other limited programs for security, for instance, MBAM on demand.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 02:57:38 AM »
It conflicts with another (full) antivirus.
AIS is incompatible with other firewalls (generally).

avast is compatible with some other limited programs for security, for instance, MBAM on demand.
I was wondering about SpyBot S&D. I turned off the resident shield. Is there still a "possible" conflict. I ask because I'm not a big fan of SAS and I have found SpyBot S&D to be more effective. In other words I use SpyBot as an on demand.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 03:25:52 AM »
There have been some cases/problems with the tea timer
But who need SpyBot.....when you have avast with built in antispyware and Malwarebytes ?

I ask because I'm not a big fan of SAS and I have found SpyBot S&D to be more effective
more effective....no way

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 03:34:59 AM »
Update frequency of SpyBot, once a week ( wednesday )  http://www.av-test.org/numbers_vendor.php?program=spybotsd&lang=en

Malwarebytes have more updates in a week then Spybot in a year and so does SAS   http://www.superantispyware.com/definitionupdatehistory.html

Gargamel360

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 03:44:56 AM »
Poor Spybot....the three legged dog trying to run with the wolves.  

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 03:51:21 AM »
I agree, Spybot is not recommendable nowadays. MBAM and SAS are better choices.

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 04:18:35 AM »
I would imagine Emsisoft Anti- Malware might conflict with Avast PRO...correct or not??

Gargamel360

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 04:24:45 AM »
I would imagine Emsisoft Anti- Malware might conflict with Avast PRO...correct or not??

If you keep it on-demand only, it should be ok.  Maybe EAM might give you Avast! related FP's, but from what I gather, FP's are the rub with that program for many.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 04:32:48 AM »

If you keep it on-demand only, it should be ok.  Maybe EAM might give you Avast! related FP's, but from what I gather, FP's are the rub with that program for many.

Ah yes that unfortunate though...I think if a person could run EAM along side AvastPRO that would be a potent duo. I've read and heard some excellent things about EAM over the last 6months or so. :-\
I already use MBAM for on demand. I'm thinking Real-Time

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 04:59:33 AM »
If you want the best realtime combination you only have to convert your on demand MBAM to the pro version to run with Avast, iv got a niece that is reckless with the site's she visit's tryin to get all her free music and game's and since i put this combination on her system she hasn't been infected once in the last year where previously i was going over there a couple of time's a week for repair's.
And speaking for myself iv never been infected with this combo.

Gargamel360

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 05:02:15 AM »
Yeah, Pro your Mbam, its a cheap one-time, and a good company to support.  Threatfire for a free real-time option, maybe.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 05:09:11 AM »
If you want the best realtime combination you only have to convert your on demand MBAM to the pro version to run with Avast, iv got a niece that is reckless with the site's she visit's tryin to get all her free music and game's and since i put this combination on her system she hasn't been infected once in the last year where previously i was going over there a couple of time's a week for repair's.

Thanks Caigb: For some reason I was of the impression that MBAM Pro running Real-Time and Avast PRo Conflicted...but if not that's great....However, just thinking out loud..one would think then that EAM would run okay along side Avast PRO....I don't know, just inquiring. ;)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 11:18:08 AM »

Thanks Caigb: For some reason I was of the impression that MBAM Pro running Real-Time and Avast PRo Conflicted...but if not that's great....However, just thinking out loud..one would think then that EAM would run okay along side Avast PRO....I don't know, just inquiring. ;)
Not a hundred percent sure about EAM, but you cant go against MBAM'S rating's and the price of about $25 for life it's to good a deal to pass up :)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 12:53:58 PM »

No, see my sig... ;)
The free EAM works well as on demand scanner..!! (You have to set it up right though.)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0