Author Topic: Windows XP Service Pack 2 issue  (Read 2665 times)

fusilero

Windows XP Service Pack 2 issue
« on: August 21, 2004, 10:26:49 AM »
Greetings;

I have been unable to download the new SP-2.  There are 3 'steps' to prepare for the download:

1) Install a Firewall. DONE!
2) Have the new Microsoft 'Update Utility' and set to 'automatic' DONE!
3) Have antivirus software installed, that is up to date. DONE!

The Microsoft install prep verifies I have steps 1&2 OK.  But it does not recognize my 'Avast!' 4.1 antivirus (home user) installation.  And it is up to date in program and 'iAVS'.

End result: Service Pack 2, will not auto download and install (the only way it is available for now)

Has anyone else experienced this?  ALWIL producst are on the Microsoft 'approved antivirus' vendors list.

I have had Avast running properly for over a year, and think it's the best product on the market!  And after experiences with Symantec and others, would never change.

My Dell came with the time-limited Symantec antivirus program (3 years ago).  I uninstalled it when decided to go with Avast.  

I've looked and found nothing, but could there be a fragment or registry entry from that program screwing up the process?

I would greatly appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re:Windows XP Service Pack 2 issue
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 02:24:17 PM »
Hi fusilero,

This is a little strange because people who have SP2 installed, report avast is recognised, so there may be another issue here.

What version of XP do you have? Apparently XP Pro users can't currently update in the regular windows update, yet XP Home users can. Strange since they have paid a greater premium for Pro, perhaps MS think all Pro users are businesses and will have been able to get the update through an other update source.

If you have broadband I would suggest that you download the network install at about 266MB ish, rather than do the online update. This gives you the opportunity to save SP2 to CD, etc. so should you need to format your system and re-install XP you won't have to download SP2 again.

Check out some of the other SP2 threads in the forums, many have links to various download locations.

HTH David
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

fusilero

Re:Windows XP Service Pack 2 issue
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 03:08:48 PM »
Thanks for the reply!

I'm running XP Home Edition with SP-1.

The only other possible problem: we have 2 PC's, at home, connected to a Netgear Broadband Router.

I will check out your suggestions.  Thanks again.