Author Topic: Resolved: upgraded from 4.8 to 5.0, and all programs stopped  (Read 11242 times)

rubybear

Re: upgraded from 4.8 to 5.0, and all programs stopped
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 02:09:09 AM »
Just did the "repair" from add/remove programs (took quite awhile), and I still can't use Avast - get the same UNSECURED note.

I will try the reboot, but if it disables all the programs on my computer like last night, I give up.

Gargamel360

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 02:20:07 AM »
Sorry to hear that. 

I'll take it the answer to this question was no?
Now I ask if you have any other AV/security software installed on this pc. 

Regardless, I respect the fact that you should not be without protection.  You could take this farther, but if your patience runs thin, you are free to do as you will.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 02:37:02 AM »
Just did the "repair" from add/remove programs (took quite awhile), and I still can't use Avast - get the same UNSECURED note.

I will try the reboot, but if it disables all the programs on my computer like last night, I give up.

Hello rubybear: I can definitely understand your frustration, especially when one is running without an AV, However I'm sure we can assist you through this issue.
I just want to ask a couple of things if I could> First, did you follow SafeSurf's directions precisely? You do have to run the aswClear tool two(2) seperate times...both time in 'SafeMode' Just to be clear, you have to boot into safe mode run the tool for 4.8 and then your system will reboot....once up and running, shut down and boot into safe mode again and run the tool for v.5. once up and running again install the fresh install pkg. you downloaded.(Close all other programs...It is always a good idea to have the fewest programs running when installing any security software)If you did that then thank you for your patience.
Second> If you would provide more information ie. What OS are you running(my appologies, I see now you are running XP) and what other security software do you have installed on your system?
If you can work with us, please let us know how the process turned out.
Thank you :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 02:43:52 AM by schmidthouse »

Gargamel360

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 02:44:38 AM »
What OS are you running

That part was answered in the OP's original post.

I have Windows XP SP3.

rubybear

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 02:53:34 AM »
Well, did the reboot as requested, and sure enough, not a single one of my programs worked.  Thankfully I set a restore point before the Avast 5 install, and through rebooting into safe mode, I was able to get my computer back - exact same thing as last night.  Yes, I am completely frustrated and befuddled that it should be so hard to upgrade to your latest version.  I never had any problems with version 4.  I followed SafeSurf's instructions exactly, using the removal tool twice in safe mode (rebooting in between), etc.  All other programs were closed.

As I mentioned in my original post, I have Windows XP Home SP 3.  I also have Spybot and Super AntiSpyware installed.  However, neither one of these programs run constantly. I only use them to do spyware scans.  I have Windows Firewall.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 02:55:23 AM »
What OS are you running

That part was answered in the OP's original post.

I have Windows XP SP3.

Absolutely, I did notice that immediately after posting. :-\
What OS are you running(my appologies, I see now you are running XP)
;)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 03:10:44 AM »
Well, did the reboot as requested, and sure enough, not a single one of my programs worked.  Thankfully I set a restore point before the Avast 5 install, and through rebooting into safe mode, I was able to get my computer back - exact same thing as last night.  Yes, I am completely frustrated and befuddled that it should be so hard to upgrade to your latest version.  I never had any problems with version 4.  I followed SafeSurf's instructions exactly, using the removal tool twice in safe mode (rebooting in between), etc.  All other programs were closed.

As I mentioned in my original post, I have Windows XP Home SP 3.  I also have Spybot and Super AntiSpyware installed.  However, neither one of these programs run constantly. I only use them to do spyware scans.  I have Windows Firewall.

Well this is extremely odd.
I have had trouble at times installing security software in the past  and if you are still willing I would suggest the following(I have used this procedure in the past and it has worked for me.
Make sure again that all reminents of Avast from this last attempt are gone(you know the drill ;))
Then download 'CCleaner'if you don't already use it and run to clean up unnecessary files.http://www.piriform.com/
Now go to C:\Windows\Temp and delete all the files in temp folder. Once done make sure you have "view hidden folders" checked in the Explore/tools/Folder options.
Now go to Documents and Settings\ User(your account)\Local Settings\Temp (delete these files) and reboot. Once up and running try installing Avast again.
If you don't understand or feel comfortable and would like further directions please don't hesitate to let me know.
Do a Restore before begining (which I'm sure you are doing as you stated).
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 03:12:44 AM by schmidthouse »

Gargamel360

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 03:27:40 AM »
Spybot has brought troubles to users of Avast! 5 a few times (the teatimer part most often).

Others use it no problem, but removing to see if it helps might be a worthwhile shot.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2010, 03:31:41 AM »
Spybot has brought troubles to users of Avast! 5 a few times (the teatimer part most often).

Others use it no problem, but removing to see if it helps might be a worthwhile shot.

Yes, I agree with Gargame1360 :)

rubybear

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2010, 04:43:07 AM »
Eureka!  The third time was a charm, and Avast 5.0 is now working.  I didn't do all the things that schmidthouse suggested.  What I did do is perform a search of the word alwil in all files and folders on C drive.  Turns out there was another copy of Avast 5 in C:/documents and settings/all users/application data.  I had used the remove tool to remove avast 5 from the 'program files', but not anywhere else.

Perhaps you should suggest to people who are having a hard time like me to do a search for all instances of alwil.  When I am in the actual removal tool, no file path is shown, and I have to look for the alwil file in the explorer tree, then select the folder.  Little did I know there was a second place to look!

By the way, I didn't have to reboot the computer after installing Avast 5, the program UI just worked right away once I clicked on the shortcut.  Spybot wasn't a problem, I don't use the teatimer.

Thanks for all your help, this was one of the most unnerving experiences I've ever had, and now I've got to deal with the migraine headache I have...

Gargamel360

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2010, 04:48:15 AM »
Good to hear.  Editing your original post and inserting (Resolved) or (Fixed) into the topic will help any else who might run into this problem.

http://www.excedrin.com/index.shtml
for the headache  ;)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2010, 04:51:34 AM »
Eureka!  The third time was a charm, and Avast 5.0 is now working.  I didn't do all the things that schmidthouse suggested.  What I did do is perform a search of the word alwil in all files and folders on C drive.  Turns out there was another copy of Avast 5 in C:/documents and settings/all users/application data.  I had used the remove tool to remove avast 5 from the 'program files', but not anywhere else.

Perhaps you should suggest to people who are having a hard time like me to do a search for all instances of alwil.  When I am in the actual removal tool, no file path is shown, and I have to look for the alwil file in the explorer tree, then select the folder.  Little did I know there was a second place to look!

By the way, I didn't have to reboot the computer after installing Avast 5, the program UI just worked right away once I clicked on the shortcut.  Spybot wasn't a problem, I don't use the teatimer.

Thanks for all your help, this was one of the most unnerving experiences I've ever had, and now I've got to deal with the migraine headache I have...

Well you are welcome and I hope your headache passes quickly. When the aswClear tool is run I have never entered any path and just cleans everything everywhere. I've never had anyone mention anything about entering the path...
I am very glad everything is working for you now. ;D
If you need further assistance in the future, please let us know.
We are here to help when and where we can. ;)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2010, 09:44:00 AM »

Hi rubybear, im glad to see that your problem is now solved :) i would still suggest restarting your system after your install even though avast never asked for it and i would suggest getting rid of spybot as it's outdated nowday's and malwarebytes free will do a far better job and you probably wouldn't need superantispyware either with MBAM.