Author Topic: Sending problems  (Read 2780 times)

Patty15

Sending problems
« on: August 21, 2004, 10:32:43 PM »
I have a mail server that requires me to login using the full email address rather than just a login name.  This is a new requirement.  I can no longer send emails with Avast's modifications of the login information.  With Avast the login shows as name@domain.com#ipnumber (I don't want to give out the exact info, but you get the picture).  I can send emails to addresses located on that server, but I cannot send to any outside domains.  I am using Eudora 6.1 as a mail client.  Eudora tells me "Can't send to ". The server gives this reason '550 Authentication turned in our your email client.'"  The techie that I'm working with tells me that in order for me to relay through their server, I must have authentication turned on in Eudora, which I have done (but it doesn't work either way).  I can change the SMTP server to my own ISP (which works), but since this is work related, I'd rather use their SMTP server.  With no Avast scanning, it works fine.  I only have Avast scan incoming emails, not outgoing.  I have no problems receiving emails, only sending.  All my other email addresses which only require a Username to login rather than the whole email address work fine.  I tried the fix in the FAQs on the Avast website, but it made no difference.  Does anyone have any suggestions or workarounds?  I'm thinking the fact that I have to login using the full email address is the problem, since it worked fine before I had to login that way.  Sorry this is so long.  Thanks.

techie101

Re:Sending problems
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 02:19:06 AM »
Patty,

I noticed that you joined in on another post and made a similar comment about not being able to send.

Whether you can use the "business" server depends on whether they can supply you with a "standard format" server name such as smtp.isp.com, not just the IP number.

Avast depends wholly on the manner in which the email client is configured to direct email to Avast, and the server format name is crucial to accomplishing this.
When you specify the IP number, you inadvertantly restrict Avast to that domain.  This is the reason that AVAST seemed to work just fine when you used your own ISP information.

Also, keep in mind, that from your description, you had "authentication set to off" which means the Avast format should be only #smtp.isp.com or #pop.isp.com

I would recommend uninstalling Avast, leaving authentication on, then reinstalling Avast.  This time, Avast will see the authentication on, and you can use the more common format "username (or full email address)#smtp.isp.com" or similar for POP

Avast has a network version for use in such applications (or desires) as you mention which works as you would want it too (using IP numer), but unfortunately it is not "freeware".

Good luck.   :D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 02:23:59 AM by Techie101 »

Patty15

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 02:47:57 AM »
Actually, with a friend, we've solved the problem.  When I first installed Avast, for my own reasons (dealing with majordomo mail servers) I did not want the Avast header in my out going mail so I used the Mail Protection Wizard to manually set up my accounts.  I unchecked the "Filter outbound mail" box.  Avast left the SMTP server entry in my Eudora alone, it did not change it to 127.0.0.1 (its default).  Now, while that works with username only logins, it would not work with email address logins.  So... I had to put the 127.0.0.1 in as the SMTP server and I just unchecked the outbound mail setting in the resident task manager, but that puts the avast header in there saying the outbound message was not checked.  While this is not an issue with this particular email address, I'm not sure about some of the others I use.  But, it now works.  I will play with the Avast settings a bit more.  I'm just glad I got it working.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004, 02:54:02 AM »
but since this is work related
Looks like a problem for your system admin to me.