Author Topic: Avast cause Win98SE to hang on restart  (Read 13774 times)

CharleyO

Re:Avast cause Win98SE to hang on restart
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2004, 06:05:56 AM »

inthewildteam may be correct.    :(

Check this google search at the link below:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=setupx.exe&btnG=Google+Search

« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 06:08:32 AM by CharleyO »

Starfighter

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2004, 10:35:36 PM »
Well if it is something like W32.Semisoft.59904, shouldn't Avast have detected and cleaned it?  (unless he didn't scan the hard drive yet--or the virus is now deleted, but the damage is done)?

TimeTraveller

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2004, 06:26:37 AM »
Many thanks to all who helped me out.   I disabled TeaTimer from Spybot SD and that cured the problem with the computer hanging on a warm reboot on the shutdown side only, not on the startup side. Checked all the other suggestions people gave but the only thing that worked in the end was removing TeaTimer.

CharleyO

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2004, 11:38:17 AM »

TimeTraveller - I also run W98SE, avast, and Spybot with TeaTimer.. I have no problem with TeaTimer.    :)

Though turning off TeaTimer helped you somewhat, I don't believe that is truely the problem. Perhaps for some reason you are running out of resources and turning off TeaTimer freed up enough resources for a proper shutdown. Maybe you could try TeaTimer again but stop some other process (or program) to see if you still get a proper shutdown.

But, I still think setupx.exe is where your problem is. Maybe that is where your resources are being lost. Read the below link and look for the indicated "running processes" on your computer.

http://www.pestpatrol.com/pestinfo/e/evil_x_2_0.asp

Starfighter - maybe he has not done a scan yet. I don't remember reading that he has    ???  

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2004, 02:55:46 PM »
I'm not blaming agains PestPatrol, but take care, a lot of false positives  :'(
The best things in life are free.

TimeTraveller

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2004, 03:00:19 PM »
Setupx was setupx.dll, not setupx.exe as mentioned in the link "inthewildteam" gave. I took 2 actions...renamed setupx.dll to setupx.dl_ to and rebooted, AND restored original setupx.dll from CD. Neither option had any effect. Also I scanned with Avast ;D which should have detected an infection.  Virus infection extremely improbable as it was as clean install on a private network behind firewall.
In any case, it's out of my hands now since the friend I set up the computer for has taken it home now.
Again, many thanks for all who contributed their thoughts