Author Topic: What does "avast! Community IQ" exactly do?  (Read 12953 times)

coincoincoin

What does "avast! Community IQ" exactly do?
« on: December 22, 2010, 06:15:37 PM »
Hi,

I'm personally making a report comparing some internet security software(avast, avg, avira..etc) of 2011 version now,
so in this topic I'd like to ask you about some features of Avast 5 in detail.

First, could you please explain me how "avast! Community IQ" works exactly?

According to the official site:

avast! Community IQ

Most samples we process come from sensors deployed throughout the avast! community in the Behavior shield and anti-rootkit modules. This is a unique source of data made possible only thanks to our huge user base. Most of the collected samples are analysed by a number of automated processes and only a small fraction of the samples need to be processed manually by our virus analysts.

Is it like in-the-cloud technology, that some other companies(panda, trendmicro..etc) are introducing to their products?
I know that "cloud" is actually buzzword, but does it always refer latest malware definition to the server when each programs are scanning, to strengthen defence for zero-day attacks?

Or, maybe does it just mean automated processes that's similar to AVG, Avira, Norton, Kaspersky and so on?

Second, I couldn't understand the mechanism of behaviour blocking feature of Avast.
Please note that here this is not heuristic detection system, because some people or vendors are saying they're same.
In my opinion, behaviour blocking is:
"an advanced feature that always monitors all running programs and warn user if any behaviours of them seem malware that are not usual about safe programs"

For instance, about kaspersky internet security, I often see dialogue boxes on the screen to close suspicious applications because it seems like key logger or common malwares.

What I'd like to ask is, does avast have same feature?
As far as I tried avast before, I've never seen such dialogues but avast says it has behaviour blocking system.

I'm sorry for my poor English, and many thanks for reading it!

Regards,
TCD272 http://www.youtube.com/user/TCD272
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 02:27:05 PM by TCD272 »

Offline BJ_GeOrgE

• Avast Evangelist
  • prevention is better than cure
Re: What does "avast! Community IQ" exactly do?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 10:59:41 AM »
i see your post is fading away so i'm replying to it to move it up a little..i dont know the answer to your questions or i'm not sure but i hope an avast tech or an evang will appear and help you soon ;)
Antivirus: Avast Free v8.0.1497/Firewall: Windows Firewall/On Demand: Malwarebytes Free Edition/Other tools: CCleaner

spg SCOTT

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 11:22:41 AM »
The CommunityIQ helps avast! gather more information about malicous file via it's userbase
Because avast! users (via avast! Community) help us to detect new viruses, avast! has discovered 40 965 infected websites and protected 40 158 592 people from visiting them in the last 30 days.
http://www.avast.com/en-gb/community

Regarding your question about the 'behavior blocker', are you referring to the Behavior Shield?

This has had a more passive role in earlier versions, but with the 5.1 betas, and subsequent versions, it appears to be becoming more active. One example: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=67188.msg567070#msg567070

This however is simply my own observations...

coincoincoin

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 03:41:57 PM »
Hello, thank you very much for replies :)

>BJ_GeOrgE
i see your post is fading away so i'm replying to it to move it up a little..i dont know the answer to your questions or i'm not sure but i hope an avast tech or an evang will appear and help you soon ;)
I'd appreciate for your kindness!
I think the reason should be from my abstract question myself,
and really sorry for that.

>spg SCOTT
I'm really sorry for my abstract explanation of my question.

Regarding your question about the 'behavior blocker', are you referring to the Behavior Shield?

This has had a more passive role in earlier versions, but with the 5.1 betas, and subsequent versions, it appears to be becoming more active. One example: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=67188.msg567070#msg567070

Yes.
I roughly read the topic, I think it may be the answer.
From some posted images I could know how avast says, and the dialogue on avast 5 that's similar to Kaspersky :)

OK I probably understood what CommunityIQ and Behavior Shield are.

Does anyone know how strong this is, or is there good information?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 03:44:29 PM by TCD272 »

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 04:34:35 PM »
If I understand the concept properly....Given the data collecting process of the Behavior Shield via Community input(IQ)I would say the Behavior Shield could only get stronger and stronger as the more data is collected. :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 12:24:31 PM »
If I understand the concept properly....Given the data collecting process of the Behavior Shield via Community input(IQ)I would say the Behavior Shield could only get stronger and stronger as the more data is collected. :)
Yes, you're right.
The best things in life are free.