Author Topic: Avast 5.0.677 crash at c/ drive scan  (Read 10226 times)

Sion

Avast 5.0.677 crash at c/ drive scan
« on: December 22, 2010, 09:51:47 PM »
Evry time I want to scan my C/: Drive it crashes at 21% evrytime :(

Plz help

Thanks

Ps: I use windows 7 x64, and the file avast + my computer crashes at is called something like cpldiag.ddl (not sure but I think it was something called like that)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 10:20:51 PM by Sion »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast 5.0.677 crash at c/ drive scan
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 12:50:01 AM »
If during an avast! scan,
1. avast! freezes or crashes, it's probably avast! problem.
2. The computer freezes or restarts, it could be e.g. a conflict with some other program, or a hardware problem.
3. The computer powers down - it's probably a hardware problem (e.g. overheating). The scan generates a lot of hard disk activity (and is also CPU intensive), which may increase the temperature of your hardware. I suggest to check the coolers in the case.
4. If you get a blue screen, it could have a bug in avast! drivers (but then, there is not a power down).

Which is your Windows? And firewall? Other security program that could interfere?
The best things in life are free.

Sion

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 01:10:27 AM »
Problem 1, but my pc or windows also freezes completely (stops responding) and its not like my pc can't handle it.

Firewall: only windows firewall
Other security programs: only windows defender maybe

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 01:14:15 AM »
Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).

Also, please, submit the file to VirusTotal and let us know the result. VirusTotal has a file size limit of 10Mb. You can use VirScan also.

Maybe you need to disable Hide protected operating system files and enable View hidden files and folders to manage the file(s).

As a workaround, you can add these files to the Files Shield exclusion list.
Left click the 'a' orange icon, click on the Real-Time Shields folder at left > File Shield > Expert Settings > Exclusions > Add.
You can use wildcards like * and ?. But be careful, you should 'exclude' that many files that let your system in danger.

You can also add it to the general exclusion list (on demand scannings). Left click the 'a' orange icon, click on Settings button > Exclusions > Add.
The best things in life are free.

Sion

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 02:05:18 AM »
I did the repair instalation. After that I tried to scan again he got further but again stopped but this time at 35%. This file is called dfdts.dll and seems to be an amd64 file.
Strange thing was this time my computer didn't crash immediately I got the scan stopped and moved out slowely to log off account. Then windows 7 asked me to force an app. something called like amd capturingvideo. Slowly he closed the app. I log in again after this time avast and my amd catalyst manager didn't startup, evrything went slow after a few sec, I clicked on shut off computer he made it out to the logging off screen. He crashed again had to shut down with power for 4th time.

I don't get it anymore is avast fighting with my amd graphic drivers???

Or even could this problem be related to my bios because of the Improve Intel Turbo Boost compatibility?

I don't know it anymore hope you can fix this

Another thing tried totalvirus but he couldn't see the file... in system32, I found it myself but not if I browsed with totalvirus.

edite: weird I checked on the file again now it seems to be a Windows Diagnostic Module, did I really looked wrong on the amd64 thing? :S anyway I'm sure of the forced app "amd capturingvideo".

So I already tried to downgrade my graphic driver, it didn't seem to work. This time it crashed again at 21% and this file is called dbghelp.dll.
So it seems the 2 files he crashes at are called dbghelp.dll and dfdts.dll both in system32.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 01:52:40 PM by Sion »

Sion

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 01:57:53 PM »
Did anyone had this problem before?

please help

I'm starting to think it could have to do something with the new bios I flashed not so long ago.

VirusTotal: http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=be7b559c8a33e7f8b19d4e7b70ed2257c49cb1fe7b944f63adbae1d31e0a1e93-1293109345

Oh ye another thing I forgot to mention I noticed evrytime he's at that file he starts to climb in speed like to 65,.. mb/sec and after a while just keeps dropping down thats the moment evrything stopts responding. Its like my pc kills himself at the point that he scans the file.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 02:10:37 PM by Sion »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 05:10:52 PM »
Problem 1, but my pc or windows also freezes completely (stops responding) and its not like my pc can't handle it.

Firewall: only windows firewall
Other security programs: only windows defender maybe
only windows defender maybe, what do you mean maybe? is there some other av or spyware other than avast and defender or not, what was your previous av and how did you remove it?

Sion

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 07:11:27 PM »
Avast have been on this pc from the beginning and defender is standard in windows 7 so I guess its no problem. I only installed kav trial one time after Avast thats all.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 07:22:26 PM »
Defender is alright to be left on, there is a tool here http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/ to get rid of any leftover's of kapersky if you have'nt already, run the tool in safe mode then reboot and do a further repair of avast.
If your still getting problem's after that please post back here and one of the other evangelist's will continue to provide help for you :)

Sion

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 02:04:09 AM »
Well I used the removal tool but he didn't find any kaspersky software

De Hollander

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 02:56:07 AM »
Did anyone had this problem before?

please help

I'm starting to think it could have to do something with the new BIOS I flashed not so long ago.

VirusTotal: http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=be7b559c8a33e7f8b19d4e7b70ed2257c49cb1fe7b944f63adbae1d31e0a1e93-1293109345

Oh ye another thing I forgot to mention I noticed evrytime he's at that file he starts to climb in speed like to 65,.. mb/sec and after a while just keeps dropping down thats the moment evrything stopts responding. Its like my pc kills himself at the point that he scans the file.

Where did you get this BIOS upgrade. I hope from the manufacturer site. And after upgrading you BIOS, did you backup up the old one

Sion

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 03:34:51 AM »
yep I got it from the manufacturer site also got backup of my older bios. But I don't feel like playing with bios versions, hard to believe that the new bios version would cause all this.

Sion

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 02:57:22 PM »
Well I downgraded my bios from version F11 to F10 nothing changed. I downgraded the catalyst drivers nothing changed. The locks-up keeps coming when Avast scans system32. Its like it kill my system evrything get slow, maps start up slow, he can't shut power off normaly... oh yes and its more than those 2 files because I excluded them and now he locks up at other system32 files...   

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 05:18:57 PM »
Look's like you might need one of the expert's to look into your problem and maybe they will get you to run some tool's to get an understanding of what is going wrong in your system.

Sion

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2010, 04:58:26 PM »
So where do I find these experts? :/