Author Topic: VRBD intervals  (Read 3319 times)

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
VRBD intervals
« on: August 22, 2004, 05:36:58 AM »
Another idiot question, but I couldn't find it covered anywhere.

If you do a VRBD update manually ("generate now") in between the usual ones, is the 3-week (or whatever) interval restarted at that point?

Obviously if you stick with the default 3 weeks (or reset to some other number of full weeks), it's always run on the same day of the week, right?  Saturday's my housecleaning day on my system, and apparently that somehow also wound up being "VRDB day".  This evening I found the VRDB trying to generate right in the middle of a defrag, which probably wasn't a terribly efficient way to get both things done.

So if I Generate Now on, say, the Thursday just before the next scheduled one, will that change the "normal" day to Thursdays?

Thanks and best,
Mike
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re:VRBD intervals
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 09:09:24 AM »
Use my avast! External Control program to change intervals (avast! Tweaker function).
You can choose from every week,every 2 weeks,every 3 weeks or once per month. You cannot change on which day because even avast! itself doesn't have such feature. Maybe in some next release. If you know exactly what do you want and how should this feature work,give a note to wishlist with detailed description.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 03:24:13 PM »
I would have thought that as you say if you do a generate VRDB now on a Thursday, the date of VRDB generation is stored somewhere (you can see when the VRDB was last run in the avast Simple User Interface detais). So with the avast.ini set to generate every 21 days, it must check something to confirm 21 days have elapsed from the last VRDB.

I would generate VRDB now, as you suggested and set the interval to 7 days (saves waiting 21 days to see if it worked). You could chose a shorter period and this would still confirm if it is acting on the actual date of last generation or some other date.

Hope this makes sense.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004, 06:35:36 PM »
Thanks guys -- it made sense, I thought, but of course software and "common sense" don't always speak the same language.  ;)

One other option, of course, is to simply keep half an eye on the clock when I'm doing relatively major disk-cleaning.  Since the interval between VRDB's is calculated right down to the minute, if you leave the defaults alone then new ones will be generated not only on the same day of the week but at the same time of day.

Best,
Mike
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent