Author Topic: Melih Abdulhayoğlu: genius, madman, or just purporting another cloud scanner?  (Read 58256 times)

sded

Pretty coherent and concise description of how DACS works by Panic, a Comodo mod, at http://forums.comodo.com/news-announcements-feedback-cis/whats-dacs-and-what-does-it-stand-for-t65415.0.html;msg473027#msg473027 .  Agrees with  my previous understanding, but note the attempt to finesse the license issue by referring to the "P2P" instead of the "P2P network" (see Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer-to-peer for example).  Other than conspiracy, I think we understood DACS was merely the transport mechanism, but avoiding calling the nodes of the P2P network "AV servers" also takes a bit of practice.  But again, for the lawyers. :)

Silk0

Oh my Gosh... just had a look on Comodo forum right now and it seems that everybody it's against Bob and most of them without reason whatsoever.

And this quote actually made my day.

Competitors are angry, it means the Comodo on the right track

Edit:

And the attach just says that Melih likes to joke with all of the situation...

« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 12:13:34 AM by Silk0 »

sded

Normally that crap would be moderated, but everyone is afraid to cross Melih.  Other mods and I used to discuss (privately, of course) that Melih would be banned for life if he didn't own the site.  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Normally that crap would be moderated, but everyone is afraid to cross Melih.  Other mods and I used to discuss (privately, of course) that Melih would be banned for life if he didn't own the site.  ;)
For me, it's a matter of confidence. Will acting this way attract confidence to the product? To the company?
It's a style. Of course, no all will agree with this style.
I wish Steckler is more active in the Evangelists board of avast forum :)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Pretty coherent and concise description of how DACS works by Panic, a Comodo mod, at http://forums.comodo.com/news-announcements-feedback-cis/whats-dacs-and-what-does-it-stand-for-t65415.0.html;msg473027#msg473027 .
Ewen (a.k.a. Panic) is the best Moderator of Comodo forum, by a long distance.
He has all my respect.

Hermite15

Very funny I have to say... :)

hmm... to be honest I wouldn't mind Avast to react at least to the title of this blog post already mentioned twice here (including once by me):
http://www.melih.com/2010/12/23/anti-virus-companies-are-protecting-criminals-not-anymore-thanks-to-dacs/

yeah... on the other side the statements there sound so sick that it may be wiser to officially ignore.

Hermite15

I wish Steckler is more active in the Evangelists board of avast forum :)

I deeply disagree with that. A company CEO messing around 24/7 on a public forum like Abdulhayoğlu does is a sign of weakness. The guy is a clown, making himself more ridiculous each times he posts about his theories, whether on his forums, or his blog.

(I do agree about Ewen (Panic), he's a nice guy, great sense of humor, rather smart, but weirdly sticking with Comodo...okay, that's his life ::) )

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I deeply disagree with that. A company CEO messing around 24/7 on a public forum like Abdulhayoğlu does is a sign of weakness. The guy is a clown, making himself more ridiculous each times he posts about his theories, whether on his forums, or his blog.
Who is asking to Steckler act like Melih? ;)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 12:59:31 AM by Tech »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
hmm... to be honest I wouldn't mind Avast to react at least to the title of this blog post already mentioned twice here (including once by me):
http://www.melih.com/2010/12/23/anti-virus-companies-are-protecting-criminals-not-anymore-thanks-to-dacs/

yeah... on the other side the statements there sound so sick that it may be wiser to officially ignore.

Well, what's there to react to? Donno what planet this guy is living on, but AV companies do share the samples - for years. Whether it's in "real time", or with some delay - that's another question, but the delays are not caused by marketing reasons, but simply by the fact that the samples are so many that it's kinda hard to get them, store them, process them somehow (not to share some useless garbage) and then distribute them to tens of other vendors. There are movements (or attempts at least) to improve the process somehow... but it's not something you can do in a day.

(E.g. Mr. Gryaznov occasionally presents nice talks on this topic.)

So yes, it's pretty funny... AV companies are trying hard to process all the samples they get - and they will keep the samples for themselves? The opposite is better - share them, thus overloading the others even more  ;D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 01:15:11 AM by igor »

Hermite15

Well, what's there to react to?

...to the fact that the guy claims  AV companies are protecting criminals ;) (even if that's indirectly, in his view)...that's insane...not mentioning that he uses the claim to promote his product.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 01:42:57 AM by Logos »

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
Vince, Ondrej, etc, should just sit back and watch the show.
It suits only the purposes of Comodo's CEO to be seen to be being attacked on every side, to be the perpetual victim.

When a competitor behaves like a fool, you just have to wait and trust that his/her folly will become common knowledge. Getting involved just elevates the perceived importance of the issue and lowers your own public respect.

I still think it more likely that DACS wil die due to lack of interest rather than any legal action. Whether it's been developed as an extra tool in the malware fighter's armory, or as a vehicle for yet another attention seeking rant by Comodo's CEO, DACS itself is a clever idea... but then so was flying planes into the World Trade Centre.

There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
So, This moron isn't afraid of lawyers. Let's hope he adds MSE to his DACS. Microsoft would throw so many lawyers at him that he wouldn't know which way to turn.
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
@Logos
Your life, your choices. ;)
Just remember. Fan the flames and you may get burnt.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Hermite15

@Logos
Your life, your choices. ;)
Just remember. Fan the flames and you may get burnt.

by what ???