Author Topic: RESOLVED :avast 5.0 updates will not work  (Read 7125 times)

xenon

RESOLVED :avast 5.0 updates will not work
« on: December 24, 2010, 04:02:14 AM »
Downloaded/installed avast free 5.x.  Program would not get updates with either automatic update or manual.  Uninstalled program, downloaded/installed again.  Still have the same problem. How can this be fixed so program will automatically get updates?  Did not have this problem with previous avast free version (4.8)   Win XP on PC
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 01:48:04 PM by xenon »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: avast 5.0 updates will not work
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 04:08:56 AM »
What errors are you getting when you attempt a manual update ?

What is your firewall ?
Does it allow avast.setup internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and do a manual update, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

xenon

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 05:27:20 AM »
I am using Ashampoo firewall set to give avast 5.0 full access.  I deleted that setting as you suggested--still no updates.  The error is : "can not connect to server" with both automatic and manual update tries. Firewall did not detect connection attempt with thes tries after access rights were deleted which tells me someting is wrong with connection settings in the program. Am I correct?  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Gargamel360

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 05:38:42 AM »
Could be Ashampoo not playing nice with Avast! ( it has misbehaved before ), could also be something with IE settings, Avast! uses IE settings by default.

Anyway, try this first

Open Avast!>>Settings>>Updates>>Proxy Settings>>Select "Direct Connection, No Proxy"

Then try to push the update.

xenon

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 05:45:58 AM »
Tried your suggestion--still get "can not connect to server" error message with manual attempt.

Don't understand what has happened as this firewall worked great with avast 4.8.

BTW--I am using dial up connection.  Thank you for suggestions.

Gargamel360

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 05:49:27 AM »
Don't understand what has happened as this firewall worked great with avast 4.8.

Avast! 5 is not Avast! 4, total overhaul, so things that used to work, sometimes do not.

There is also a setting to specify how you connect to the internet in the same settings section I mentioned above, don't know if that would help or not.

xenon

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 06:10:27 AM »
Yes, I have the "dial-up" setting activated.  I also use avast 5.0 on my laptop with  Win7 and it works great--of course that is with Windows defender and their built-in firewall.  With my PC running Win XP, in addition to the no update problem, I have also noticed a marked increase in webpage loading time (very slow!).  Is there a way to go back to avast4.8 to use with my old PC running winXP?  Thank you for your prompt and helpful tips. 

xenon

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 06:13:36 AM »
Yikes! I should have read other postings on the forum.  Just read about 4.8 ending soon, so I suppose that makes my question about using that version moot.  Hope I can get 5.0 settings to work! ???  Bedtime. Maybe I can fix this later.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 06:26:49 AM by xenon »

Gargamel360

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 06:41:58 AM »
4.8 is not dead yet, but since it has not had a program update in some time, it is less safe in addition to its lack of improvements compared to ver. 5.

The next possible culprit I could think of (apart from Ashampoo itself, as I already mentioned, it has given users of ver. 5 problems before, so it might be decision time, i.e. if they wont play well together, one has to go) would be remnants of Avast! 4 conflicting with ver. 5. 

Clean-reinstall of ver.5 should solve this, if it is the issue.

How2>> 1:Download a new Avast! 5 install file.
       2:Get removal tool, and copy the instructions here>>http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

3:Uninstall Avast! 5 via Add/Remove Programs. Reboot
       4:Run the tool according to instructions.
       5:Install Avast!5, then reboot.

SafeSurf

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 07:57:05 AM »
Ashampoo FW has definitely caused conflicts in the past; once uninstalled by the vendor's uninstaller tool, all worked well with users and Avast.  Asyn and I worked with several users who had this problem and all had the same results of things working fine after uninstalling this FW.  It might be worth a try, then reboot the machine.

However the XP FW is only a 1-way very weak FW.  So I suggest you have something ready as a back up for protection, even if it is a trial third-party 2-way FW such as Online Armor, Outpost, Comodo (without AV) - all of these come as free and paid versions and have not caused conflicts with Avast. 

Initially after unistalling Ashampoo FW, turn on your XP FW , reboot your machine, then test to see if this resolves your problem. 

If not, try an Avast Repair:
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.

If this does not work, then an Avast uninstall (using the Avast Uninstall Utility Tool http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and clean install would be required.  Then install your other third-party FW after this.

Let us know if you have any questions.  Thank you.

Gargamel360

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 08:01:25 AM »
Doh, forgot to think of repair........ :-[ ::)

2 much egg nog 4 me ;D

SafeSurf

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 08:04:54 AM »
2 much egg nog 4 me ;D
I could use some about now.  Care to share?   ;)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 08:17:02 AM by SafeSurf »

Gargamel360

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 08:07:42 AM »
Sure, cheers  ;)

xenon

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 01:13:37 PM »
Gargamel360 and SafeSurf;  Thanks for tips.  I will try them today and report results.  mmmmm, EGGNOG!  Merry Christmas! :D

xenon

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2010, 06:15:34 AM »
Well, I just couldn't get rid of Ashampoo (works very well), so Avast had to go.  I tried your suggestions about uninstall/reinstall, then I inactivated Ashampoo FW--Avast still would not update.  I did not want to go looking for another FW.

I may be old fashion, and I am not a computer whiz, but I think a program should adapt to the computer programs I am running--I should not have to dump what has been working to make a new version of Avast function. 

Thanks for your help.  Good by :'(