Author Topic: Need Help with Avast! Firewall - Very Stressed!  (Read 14898 times)

aladdin

Need Help with Avast! Firewall - Very Stressed!
« on: December 24, 2010, 07:29:21 PM »
I am long time user of Avast! Free with Windows Firewall or Outpost Firewall PRO.

About two months ago, I tested quite a few Firewall Programs including Avast! Internet Security on my two laptops. In the end, I had to reformat both my two laptops as I couldn't access anyone on my home network, including the NAS Server.

At that time I couldn't pinpoint to anything. I tried everything I know before formatting these two computers.

About a month ago, I bought Avast! Internet Security for my computers. Installed them on all computers. The initial problems I faced were as follows:

1. It didn't turn off the Windows Firewall. I turned it manually. I understand it co-exist with Windows Firewall, but Windows Firewall kept on turning itself.

2. I had some exotic IP addresses for my home network, which I added the range as "Friends" to the suite. The Firewall kept on deleting it randomly. So on all my equipment I went back and set them as default IP 192.168.1.xxx range, as it is already included by default in the "Friends", which cannot be deleted randomly.

Now I have the following problems on all three laptops.

Laptop A: It has Windows Home Premium x64. Again after few weeks, I cannot access anyone on the home network, but they could access my laptop.

Laptop B: It has Windows Home Premium x64. Few days later it created the same problem and it couldn't access anyone on the home network. I removed Avast! Internet Security in the Safe Mode with "Avast! Uninstall Utility." Rebooted, installed Avast PRO but couldn't turn on the Windows Firewall. Went back in Safe Mode and cleaned Avast! PRO with "Avast! Uninstall Utility.". Rebooted again and still couldn't turn on Windows Firewall. Had to fix it with Microsoft Fix It Center.

a. Before doing all that I ran the "ComboFix" first.
b. Still cannot access anyone on the home network.

Laptop C: It has Windows Home Premium x64. Yesterday, it created the same problem as Laptops A and B.

Please note:

1. All the laptops are only used at home.
2. They all have only one operating systems on them.

Kind regards,

aladdin!

« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 10:04:35 AM by aladdin »

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Need Help with Firewall - Very Stressed!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 07:40:08 PM »

aladdin

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 08:18:40 PM »
Thank you NMB for your help. Tried the solution on Laptop A (Windows 7 x64) and Laptop C (Windows 7 x32). It didn't work on these two computers.

And, on Laptop B, I have already uninstalled the Avast! Firewall and still I cannot access the network.

Best regards,

aladdin!

Gargamel360

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 08:54:46 PM »
If you have same symptoms across multiple PC's on your LAN, no matter what FW is on them or not, you might want to look to your router.

aladdin

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 09:04:09 PM »
Hi Gargamel360,

No problem with routers and other computers on the network. The problem is only with those laptops which have Avast! Firewall. Even I uninstalled the Avast! Firewall on one of these laptops and still the problem continues.

I have tried everything and this has been going on for the last two months.

In the last 15 years, never had such a problem in my home network.

Kind regards,

aladdin!

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 09:55:42 PM »
I am long time user of Avast! Free with Windows Firewall or Outpost Firewall PRO.

About two months ago, I tested quite a few Firewall Programs including Avast! Internet Security on my two laptops. In the end, I had to reformat both my two laptops as I couldn't access anyone on my home network, including the NAS Server.

Hi aladdin and welcome: This sounds like a real mess up!
You stated you "tested quite a few Firewall Program" and they are the hardest to rid your sytem of reminents left behind long after we think we uninstall the Firewall properly.Back in the day it took me and some tech friends of mine 2months to TOTALLY get rid of ZoneAlarm..that software litterally took over my system >:(
I don't know if my experience will help...so take it with a grain of salt. :-\
Here is what I have done with great success;

I pet peave (hobby) of mine is seeking out and testing all kinds of Security Software and mostly interested in Anti-Virus and especially a"Firewalls" I have found over the years it is absolutely essential that when uninstalling a Firewall that first you download the VENDERS Uninstall/Clean up Utility for that specific piece of softward (In your case a different Uninsall tool from each vender that sells/supports that particular Firewall.
Many Firewalls are EXTREMELY hard to get rid of left over reminent (Registry Keys and Drivers especially).
So for every Firewall installed you should first remove with the product UNinstall option in it Start/Programs/Product Folder....If the product doesn't come with an Unistaller option, you then uninstall from Add and Remove Section.
You then need to run each Uninstall/Clean up Utility in safe mode supplied by the vender (which you should already have located and downloaded to Special file related to the product  in represents (for easy access when needed)
THis process should be followed(or should have been) for every Firewall you had installed on your sytem at any time.

After that time consuming process is completed , You are not done yet.
Noe go to C:/WINDOWS/Temp folder and delete everything in that  folder. [ Mske sure you have "show hidden folders" ticked in the Windows Explorer Tools Section under Folder Options]
Then go to Documents and Settings/User(YOUR ACCOUNT)/Local Settings/Temp and delete everything in that folder.
There 1s an amazing amount of file data and settings that are left behind in these folders, even with the Uninstll tools being used

Now you are getting closer to being finished
Run a Registry Cleaner that you trust ( I use JV16 Power Tools 2010..60 day free trial) and a Disk Defrag. Now reboot and Install the product you want to use.
 This process has worked for me everytime I could not get a Firewall to function properly
Try everything else you feel might work first
NOTE: THis should be looked at as a last resort due to the time  involved (around an hour or more) :-\
Good luck if  you cannot succeed in any other way and choose to go this route.
Let me Know either way. :)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 10:02:41 PM by schmidthouse »

aladdin

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 10:08:52 PM »
Hi schmidthouse,

Thank you for a detailed reply. All three laptops only had Windows Firewall and then I installed Avast! Internet Security.

Laptop A has lots of kernel level software including Returnil Safe (Antivirus turned off), but no other Firewall installed on it, after being reformatted a month ago.

Laptops B and C, hardly have anything installed on them and they are hardly in use by my wife and daughter respectively.

Laptop A, which belong to me has JV16 Power Tools 2010 installed on it and a batch file which I use on daily basis to clean the Temp folders.

Kind regards,

aladdin!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 10:12:19 PM by aladdin »

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 04:49:10 AM »
@aladdin

Can you try doing this : Right click on the network icon in the system tray > open network and sharing center > in the left hand column select home group > change advanced settings > change the settings the way you want > save changes.

If that doesn't work, please download this tool : http://www.rizone3.com/archives/1308 and select the reset windows firewall (I have assumed tat you have removed the avast firewall temporarily) configuration and  repair workgroup computers view and hit go.

Let us know what you did and what happened.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 04:54:53 AM by nmb »

aladdin

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 10:03:42 AM »
@aladdin

Can you try doing this : Right click on the network icon in the system tray > open network and sharing center > in the left hand column select home group > change advanced settings > change the settings the way you want > save changes.
Dear NMB,

Thanks for all your suggestions. Tried the above and it didn't work. The network discovery and file sharing was already on. I turned it off and on again, but still it didn't work on Laptop B, on which I had removed the AIS and have Windows Firewall.

If that doesn't work, please download this tool : http://www.rizone3.com/archives/1308 and select the reset windows firewall (I have assumed tat you have removed the avast firewall temporarily) configuration and  repair workgroup computers view and hit go.

Let us know what you did and what happened.
Thank you for such a nice utility. I have added this to my "Treasure Chest of Utilities". As mentioned above on Laptop B, I already had removed the AIS, now have Avast Pro and Windows Firewall on it. Ran the above utility, checked to repair everything and when finished it asked me to reboot.

After reboot everything changed to it's default value. Inserted the static IP address in the WiFi connection, turned on the network and file discovery and it still didn't work. I cannot access the other computers on the network.

I can ping the IP address and the name of each computer, but I cannot access them.

Best regards,

aladdin!

SafeSurf

Re: Need Help with Avast! Firewall - Very Stressed!
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2010, 10:36:30 AM »
1. What other security software, including antivirus, trial security software (pre-installed), other security software (on-demand or resident) do you currently have or had in the past on these machines (A, B, C)?

2. Was everything running fine on your machines prior to running ComboFix?

3. Also, have you reset your router?  Reset the router to its default configuration.  This can be done by inserting something tiny like a paper clip end or pencil tip into a small hole labeled "reset" located on the back of the router.  Press and hold down the small button inside until the lights on the front of the router blink off and then on again (usually about 10 seconds).

Sometimes malware can prevent security software from being installed properly.  In addition, malware can spread through your network.  Please run the following on your main machine; you may need to do this on the others depending on the report:

4. Check your computer for malware with Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (MBAM).
·   Download free http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (the blue button) for an on-demand scanner.
·   Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
·   After install, click update so you have latest database before scanning.
·   Under Settings:
o   General: Automatically Save File After Scan Completes is checked off
o   Scanner SettingsCheck all boxes
o   Updater: Download and install update if available is checked off
·   Once the program has loaded, select "Perform FULL Scan", then click Scan.
·   The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
·   When the disinfection scan is complete, a log will appear in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note).
·   Click the “remove selected” button to quarantine anything found.  You will find the infection details under the Quarantine tab.
·   The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
·   Copy & Paste the entire report in your next reply.  Thank you.

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2010, 10:45:49 AM »
@ aladdin

Can you go through this : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-network-connection-problems and check everything is fine? Sometimes manual helps.

Hermite15

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2010, 11:36:11 AM »
yeah, formatting a system because of a network issue  ::) as to exotic local IPs, that's the DHCP from Windows messing around when something's wrong with the firewall; i.e. the router isn't recognized anymore and Windows overrides the local IP management. Uninstalling the third party product (firewall) and rebooting solves the issue.

If you still have problems after that, your system is broken and/or infected.

aladdin

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2010, 12:45:16 PM »
1. What other security software, including antivirus, trial security software (pre-installed), other security software (on-demand or resident) do you currently have or had in the past on these machines (A, B, C)?
Dear SafeSurf,

Thank you for taking the time out to help me. The easiest machines are Laptops B and C, which belongs to my wife and daughter respectively.

On Laptop B, I have removed the AIS and turned on the Widows Firewall and on Laptop C, I have still left the AIS. Both these machines were bought about 18 months ago and had Avast! Free and Windows Firewall on them. No other AV or Firewall installed on them until last month, when I installed AIS on them.

2. Was everything running fine on your machines prior to running ComboFix?
Yes, this was done two days ago on Laptop B when I suddenly couldn't access others on the network. ComboFix didn't find anything.

3. Also, have you reset your router?  Reset the router to its default configuration.  This can be done by inserting something tiny like a paper clip end or pencil tip into a small hole labeled "reset" located on the back of the router.  Press and hold down the small button inside until the lights on the front of the router blink off and then on again (usually about 10 seconds).
No, I have not reset the router. However, I used to have some exotic IP (134.213.167.x) for the last ten years. I have now changed it to 192.168.1.x and the workgroup to "workgroup". Lots of work involved in it.

Also, I assign static IP addresses.

Sometimes malware can prevent security software from being installed properly.  In addition, malware can spread through your network.  Please run the following on your main machine; you may need to do this on the others depending on the report:
I am not sure what do you mean by main machine. Here is what I have on my home network:

1. Buffalo NAS Server
2. IOmega ScreenPlay Director x3
3. Desktop Computers x3
4. Laptops x6
5. iPads x2
6. Various HTC Phones
7. ADSL with wireless connected to:
8. Access Point x8 with wires to increase the wireless range and to connect the desktops x3 through LAN.

4. Check your computer for malware with Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (MBAM).
·   Download free http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (the blue button) for an on-demand scanner.
·   Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
·   After install, click update so you have latest database before scanning.
·   Under Settings:
o   General: Automatically Save File After Scan Completes is checked off
o   Scanner Settings:  Check all boxes
o   Updater: Download and install update if available is checked off
·   Once the program has loaded, select "Perform FULL Scan", then click Scan.
·   The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
·   When the disinfection scan is complete, a log will appear in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note).
·   Click the “remove selected” button to quarantine anything found.  You will find the infection details under the Quarantine tab.
·   The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
·   Copy & Paste the entire report in your next reply.  Thank you.

Here is the log from MBAM for the Laptop B:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 5391

Windows 6.1.7600
Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385

25-12-2010 02:28:29 PM
mbam-log-2010-12-25 (14-28-29).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 241682
Time elapsed: 30 minute(s), 18 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Kind regards,

aladdin!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 12:49:10 PM by aladdin »

aladdin

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2010, 12:51:48 PM »
@ aladdin

Can you go through this : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-network-connection-problems and check everything is fine? Sometimes manual helps.
Dear NMB,

Once again thank you for your kind help. I will try them later and will let you all know the result.

Best regards,

aladdin!

aladdin

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2010, 01:01:47 PM »
yeah, formatting a system because of a network issue  ::) as to exotic local IPs, that's the DHCP from Windows messing around when something's wrong with the firewall; i.e. the router isn't recognized anymore and Windows overrides the local IP management. Uninstalling the third party product (firewall) and rebooting solves the issue.

If you still have problems after that, your system is broken and/or infected.
Dear Logos,

Please see my above post number 9. The DHCP is set to manual rather than automatic in my home network. There was no third party firewall installed on the three Laptops A, B and C until one month ago. A month ago, I installed AIS on them.

When I started having problem and not being able to access other on the network from these laptops, I changed the exotic IP range to default IP range 192.168.1.xxx

Many thanks,

aladdin!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!