Author Topic: [Resolved] Way off topic!  (Read 5627 times)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
[Resolved] Way off topic!
« on: December 25, 2010, 02:32:29 AM »
You guys really know your stuff. I was wondering about other software...WinUtilities Free...Advanced SystemCare Free...Wise Registry Cleaner...CCleaner?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 01:20:39 AM by Para-Noid »
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Way off topic!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 02:48:37 AM »
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 02:50:31 AM by Pondus »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 03:02:41 AM »
Advanced SystemCare Free
Stay away from IObit software

CCleaner?
It is good, many Evangelist`s use it
Thanks, I will.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 03:55:29 AM »
Ccleaner is popular for a good reason. (It's good, and does what it says it will on the packet.)

It includes a fairly safe registry cleaner (termed "issues" in Piriform parlance) that makes a backup by default, before any reg entries are deleted.

I can't speak for the other reg cleaners you refer to. Another I've used that I consider safe is called "Tweak Now". Some reg cleaner are fairly non-discerning, it seems, and now and then will delete a reg key that is actually required. Best bet is to not use them unless you've learned a bit about the registry, and thus have a bit of an appreciation as to what the 'worst case scenario' might be if any particular key is deleted.

In some cases this will simply require re-installation of an affected program. Most serious scenario is that a repair install of Windows might be needed. You'd have to be a bit unlucky for that to happen.

A program I would recommend is ERUNT (by larshederer) that automatically backs up the registry at every boot, or when commanded. Some users use this in lieu of System Restore, it's that good.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 09:18:32 AM »
I will second to stay away from ASC and Iobit as I have assisted many here on the forum with problems with their machines not working correctly and these programs conflicting with other security software (not only Avast).  Once those other programs were uninstalled by the vendor's uninstaller tools/method and the machine rebooted, everything worked fine.

I recommend CCleaner, but get the Slim version http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds – 4th option down, or you will get unwanted toolbars with the full version.  It does a wonderful job and yes, most of us use it.

There are many defrag tools available and we have tried most of them, but I like free Puran defrag http://www.puransoftware.com/ because it not only has a regular defrag in it, but also has a boot-time defrag to really clean up your machine.  In addition, it is very quick and light on resources.

We also use free Secunia PSI to scan our machines to see if our software is up to date http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/.  If an update or patch is needed, the link is provided making things easier on you for maintaining up to date software and increasing security on your machine.

Also, most of us use MBAM (Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware) as either an on-demand (free) or resident (paid) scanner to compliment Avast http://www.malwarebytes.org/.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 06:45:39 PM »
[I will second to stay away from ASC and Iobit as I have assisted many here on the forum with problems with their machines not working correctly and these programs conflicting with other security software (not only Avast).]  Once those other programs were uninstalled by the vendor's uninstaller tools/method and the machine rebooted, everything worked fine.

I recommend CCleaner, but get the Slim version http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds – 4th option down, or you will get unwanted toolbars with the full version.  It does a wonderful job and yes, most of us use it.

There are many defrag tools available and we have tried most of them, but I like free Puran defrag http://www.puransoftware.com/ because it not only has a regular defrag in it, but also has a boot-time defrag to really clean up your machine.  In addition, it is very quick and light on resources.

We also use free Secunia PSI to scan our machines to see if our software is up to date http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/.  If an update or patch is needed, the link is provided making things easier on you for maintaining up to date software and increasing security on your machine.

Also, most of us use MBAM (Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware) as either an on-demand (free) or resident (paid) scanner to compliment Avast http://www.malwarebytes.org/.
avast has a conflict with ASC?

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 07:47:31 PM »
avast has a conflict with ASC?
Your system will have a conflict with ASC!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 08:06:34 PM »
What do you want from ASC?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 01:14:29 AM »
What do you want from ASC?
I uninstalled ASC and Wise Registry Cleaner. What about WinUtilities Free? Or Revo Uninstaller? I have installed CCleaner. Now that I have CCleaner are WinUtilities Free and Revo Uninstalle necessary? All I want is the best computer software with the keyword "free". I have only about 14GB free space left (I need a new PC with a larger HD).

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 01:39:14 AM »
I think Tech hot it on the head with "What do you want from ASC?"

The same question could be posed for any program you want to install.
It seems you want programs that will maintain and keep your computer running as well (fast) as it can, and malware-free, correct?

Sometimes more can be less.
The best in this situation is probably no more than two or three programs to help do the job. With the remaining disk space on your machine (what is the percentage of used space?) you probably don't want to go installing much more at all.

What's the RAM and CPU?

SafeSurf

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 10:48:31 AM »
If you uninstalled ASC and you already put CCleaner on your machine, then all you need is a defrag.  That's as simple as you need it.  The rest of the stuff in ASC was cr*pware that caused problems and bloated software. 

You can use the Windows built in system restore if needed (already in your machine).

Revo Free is fine, but never use this to uninstall Avast or any other security software since this will not remove all the remnants.  Instead you need to use the vendor's uninstaller tool.

IF you have room on your machine, MBAM is a good on-demand software to have.

Do you have a firewall?  If so, what is it and give us some information on your machine (OS, RAM, etc.) so we can help you more.  Thank you.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 10:08:25 PM »
Thanks guys. I got it. I think. I hope. I will keep avast free, MBAM, SAS, WinUtilities Free and CCleaner. The things you learn from a forum. I'm sorry if my question was too far off topic. But by reading all the signatures I saw some software I did not know about. And here is the only place that anyone has given me good solid direction. All I wanted is software that compliments each other not fight each other. Thanks to each of you for your patience and input. I have learned that what I wanted was not always the best for my pc. Like I said I'm a "dork" not a "geek". I admit I do have a dysfunctional brain. Go ahead and laugh...I would.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 11:29:00 PM »
Don't feel like a dork for asking questions.
The real dorks are those who mess their systems up because they didn't ask questions. (Been there.)

You ask away for anything you are uncertain of. That's why the forum is here.
You're very welcome for any useful help given.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2010, 11:48:18 PM »
Don't feel like a dork for asking questions.
The real dorks are those who mess their systems up because they didn't ask questions. (Been there.)

You ask away for anything you are uncertain of. That's why the forum is here.
You're very welcome for any useful help given.
I didn't mean I felt like a dork for asking. I meant I was a dork for using the wrong software, in other words "clueless". When I used the word "geek" it was meant as a compliment. Again, thanks.