Author Topic: Behavior shield causing mouse lag  (Read 24312 times)

Kinchan

Re: Behavior shield causing mouse lag
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2010, 09:35:06 AM »
Thank you very much!  I will check back, too.

Kinchan

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2010, 09:57:31 AM »
Actually, looking over your list, I'm kind of curious about this entry:

wltray.exe   
Backgroundtask   
Dell Wireless WLAN Card Wireless Network Tray Appl

My computer is not a Dell.  Is this significant?  I do have a wireless card installed but it is made by Dynex.  My computer was built by Velocity Micro.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2010, 11:01:27 AM »
I would'nt touch the wlan card app, i would delet all of norton symantic product's, you can find the tool here http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/ plus lavasoft adware can go to and spybot S&D, there are tools to clean them up at the site i supplied, later you can replace these scanner's with malwarebytes which is far better.
Nero can be disabled from starting up auto, do this through (ccleaner-tools/startup)
If you can find cyberlink stuff in startup's this can also be disabled, it will start whenever you click on it anyway
I also dont bother with java auto update checker myself but that one is up to you :)

The only option's in ccleaner i dont have ticked are- auto complete form history, window's size/location cache, user assist history, wipe free space.
Under -option's/setting's you can change the secure deletion to gutman 35 pass for a better clean.
That is a fair bit of stuff to get you started for now and will definatly lighten the load on your system, the main issue is getting rid of those other av and spyware product's i mentioned.
At some stage it would also be advisable to update your service pack to sp3 and install ie8 for security reasons.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 11:10:36 AM by craigb »

Kinchan

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2010, 10:37:28 PM »
All right, I have removed Adaware, Spybot S&D, and the last traces of Norton.  I used CCleaner to disable Nero in my startup.

I already have Malwarebytes but it doesn't auto-launch at startup.  I run it manually whenever I have a reason to do so.

When I started to type this, I included a line about how I would give it a while to see if it solved my problem, but while I was in the middle of typing out this reply my mouse stalled for a good 30 seconds.  So this has not fixed it.

I will note here that the version of Zonealarm that proved to be the dealbreaker for me (my computer ran like a snail after the "upgrade") did not do this thing to my mouse that Avast is doing.  That program was the biggest resource pig I have ever encountered, worse than Norton ever was, and yet my mouse moved great.  This problem is very intermittent, so I have to assume that the problem only crops up when Avast decides to launch an intermittent scan.

I have also noticed that it still happens when the behavioral shield is off, just not as frequently.  So it may be that the behavioral shield is not the whole problem.  I will continue to experiment with shutting down shields to try to narrow the problem further.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2010, 02:54:31 AM »
You haven't happen to change any of the default settings in avast have you, ie (file system shield)

CharleyO

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2010, 07:59:09 AM »

Like craigb, I would leave the wlan card app alone. It could be that Velocity used Dell  software for the wlan card you have. That is something you would have to find out from Velocity.

I would suggest you follow the rest of his afvice as that was my line of thought also.
But, I wanted a second opinion just in case.

One other thing is that you should get rid of that old version of WinAmp as it would be unsafe to keep. There is known malware that invades WinAmp and especially old versions.

Once you have done the above suggestions, you should run HJT again and Fix the below entries if they still appear in the log.  Check mark the box left of the entries and then click on the "Fix Checked" button.

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)

O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - (no file)

O4 - Startup: Shortcut to winamp.lnk = C:\Winamp 2\winamp.exe

« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 08:08:07 AM by CharleyO »

Kinchan

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2010, 11:30:48 PM »
I really appreciate the effort to which you both went to try to fix my problem, but I had a mouse stall issue yesterday morning that was just intolerable.  My mouse began to skip and lag, and as it happened I had both Task Manager and the Avast GUI up for just such an occurrence, thinking that it would help me figure out what the issue was.

The Task Manager showed that only about 8% of my CPU was being used, with Firefox using about 3% and Avast using between 2% and 3% (it varied, of course).  I attempted to click through the shields to see which one was active, but I didn't find ANY particular activity in ANY of them before my mouse became totally unresponsive.  I had to reboot my computer using the keyboard in order to regain the use of my mouse.

So I have uninstalled Avast and I'm going to try another antivirus.  The moment I rebooted after taking Avast off, my mouse resumed functioning perfectly and I have had no issue with it since.

You were both so kind to look at my HJT report and make suggestions, so I wanted to thank you for your efforts, and I'm sorry that this didn't work out for me.

CharleyO

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 08:39:14 AM »

We are sorry too, Kinchan, that we could not solve the issue for you.   :(

Good luck with whatever else you choose to use.   :)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 08:55:25 AM »
It's a shame it didn't work, my next step would have been to reinstall your mouse driver's or see if there where update's for it, but good luck to you anyway  :)