Author Topic: How to turn off boot time scan  (Read 13074 times)

jimn

How to turn off boot time scan
« on: August 23, 2004, 03:28:30 AM »
I've just downloaded the trial version with the intention to buy if I find that we get along well.
I went and said to do a boottime scan during setup, and now I want to turn it OFF.
I see no obvious way to do that.
Can someone please tell me how?
Thanks

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:How to turn off boot time scan
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 03:32:47 AM »
Boottime scan only runs if you tell it to. It is off by default. When a boottime scan has finished it will be off again.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 03:40:07 AM »
You can schedule it twice, on sequence, I mean:
1) first schedule will set boot time scanning on
2) second will disable it

Wellcome to forums  8)
The best things in life are free.

jimn

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 04:02:46 AM »
Thanks to you both.
It looks like me and the software won't be getting along too well.
When 'configuring' it asked if I wanted to schedule a boot time scan. I said yes. That implied to me that the boot time scan would be scheduled EVERY boot.
Now I see, from your good words here, that this is not the case.
Trouble is, I spent more than half an hour looking all over the place to turn it off because I assumed that "schedule" meant "schedule".
It also seems that I have to change e-mail settings to get e-mail scanning to work. That looks like a problem to me.
I also SOMETIMES get 2 icons in systray, this time 1. And I see no obvious way to get the "VRDB" database generated without that icon.  *IF* it's in the "Enhanced user interface" then it isn't obvious to me.
I'll see how things go for a few more days, but right now it's looking like the interface is not matching my simple level of intuition.

Sojourner

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 04:03:08 AM »
Hi,
I have been reading the "Help" and I would like to know the reason or reasons for running a boot time scan.  ???

Technical, has it been five minutes yet?  :D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 04:07:38 AM »
I have been reading the "Help" and I would like to know the reason or reasons for running a boot time scan.  ???

Some files could be in use while running an on-demand scanning.
To repair or delete them, avast should have 'full' access to them.
This is only granted on boot time.
A good side effect is, probably, a faster scanning as no other service/program uses the system resources.

Technical, has it been five minutes yet?  :D

What do you mean?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 04:08:27 AM »
It also seems that I have to change e-mail settings to get e-mail scanning to work.
No you don't have to. Just run the mail protection wizzard and it will take care of it.

I also SOMETIMES get 2 icons in systray, this time 1. And I see no obvious way to get the "VRDB" database generated without that icon.
You can merge the vrdb icon with the main one. To run the VRDB manually, just right click the blue ball. It is there in the menu.

It looks like me and the software won't be getting along too well.
Avast is so easy to use that you think to difficult :D

Are you one of those people who don't read the manual? It really helps if you do ;D

jimn

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2004, 04:10:16 AM »
You mean my reason (for specifying it)?

SImply because I had no idea what it meant and thought it would be safer to say yes rather than no.
Once I saw what it did I decided I didn't want that any more. Just couldn't find a way to turn it off.
How was I to know that it is a one-time thing? Since you've been reading the documentation, where does it say this? It sure looked to me that to "schedule" something meant to schedule it, and since it is called "boottime" it sure seemed logical to me that once I "scheduled" the BOOTTIME SCAN that it would be scheduled every boot until I UNscheduled it.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2004, 04:13:09 AM »
Schedule never automaticly means it does it all the time. See it this way. You and I shedule a meeting next Friday. Does that automaticly mean we see eachother every Friday? NO!

Sojourner

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2004, 04:16:33 AM »
For Technical,
Thank you for the explanation  :)

Remember the dialog comparing smiles? You said you were going to change to Windows -  to wait five minutes.
I just wondered if those were Brazilian minutes and if it has been five minutes yet? (joke)  :D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2004, 04:21:26 AM »
jimn, sorry if we are just 'off topic' in your thread.

I'll answer
Remember the dialog comparing smiles? You said you were going to change to Windows -  to wait five minutes.
I just wondered if those were Brazilian minutes and if it has been five minutes yet? (joke)  :D

It was 5 minutes, I come back that time by Windows...  ;D
Well, Linux is not an intuitive OS either  :'( Not for the ones used to Windows  :(

jimn, I think you can ask anything related to avast here... The software will be as intuitive as you wish... just try a little  8)

jimn

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2004, 04:36:59 AM »
Sorry, but my limited intuition does not inform me how to reply to a specific message...

To Technical:
Believe me, I very much want to make this work for ME. But when I get stymied on my very first thing (do you like wasting half an hour on nothing?) I see probable problems.

To Eddy:
1) The error message directed me to the "Manual setting of mail protection..." in the Help, so why would I think for a minute that a wizard was going to do the job?
2) I did NOT specify to merge the icons (which I had read about in the help) - it just happened!
3) The context menu on rt-clicking the icon that is there has no option to generate the VRDB. So maybe your system is different than mine? (XP Pro SP1 with all critical updates, Outlook 2003 as std e-mail).

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2004, 04:46:15 AM »
The option to generate the VRDB manually should be there. It shouldn't matter if you have the two icons merged or not. (see picture)

Your system is the same as one of mine systems. XP Pro, SP1 all updates and Office 2003. In XP you can hide icons. Is this the case here with the VRDB one perhaps?

jimn

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2004, 05:07:37 AM »
Eddy,
Here is my context menu (I assume it will show up here.
Note that there is no mention of VRDB in any option.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2004, 05:15:08 AM »
This is strange ??? I think it should be there, even in the evaluation version. But I could be wrong about this. Are you using Avast version 4.1.418 and vps 434-2?