Author Topic: POP and SMTP over SSL  (Read 4228 times)

shatadal

POP and SMTP over SSL
« on: August 22, 2004, 01:48:20 AM »
Does the internet mail module over avast scan POP and SMTP over SSL?

techie101

Re:POP and SMTP over SSL
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 01:55:44 AM »
shatadal,

SSL is a transmission mode.  Avast will scan any email POP3 or SMTP which is directed to "home" computer server 127.0.0.1.

In other words, on the outgoing SMTP side, you write the mail, and SEND which then causes the email to be routed to the home server where Avast scans the email and then forwards it via SSL to the internet.

It's really simple and I guess the overall answer to you question is YES.   ;)

shatadal

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 02:17:13 AM »
Ok I did what you advised me to do. I changed the mail server to 127.0.0.1 and changed the authentication from <login> to <login>#<mail server>. However when I wanted to send a mail it gave me the error:

The server does not support a SSL connection. Account: '<account name>', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '250 AUTH LOGIN PLAIN', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 250, Error Number: 0x800CCC7D

What could I be doing wrong?

I am using OE 6 on win XP Home edition and Avast 4.1.418 and vps 0434-2

techie101

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004, 02:32:35 AM »
shatadal,

Apparently your ISP does not use Authentication for SMTP.

IN OE on the Server page in the Accounts menu, uncheck the "log on using password authentication box, the My server requires authentication"
Then, go into the Settings menu from the same page, and uncheck "Log on using Secure Authentication"

Try the format #smtp.isp.com alone.
Then you can try checking the box "use the same settings as POP"

Let me know what happens.  This is only a configuration problem with your ISP and AVAST.  We will get it working.
I have fixed far more "dastardly" ISP configurations in the past.   ;D

shatadal

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2004, 01:09:55 PM »
I unchecked the "logon using secure authentication" and "My outgoing mailserver requires authentication"

I should have mentioned before that I also get a POP problem. The error message is

The connection to the server has failed. Account: '<account name>', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

My SMTP server does require authorisation to send e-mails. The POP and SMTP servers also allow access only if SSL is used.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 09:45:36 AM »
The answer is rather simple (as stated in the help ;)):
"The Mail scanner does not support SSL (TLS) connections."

shatadal

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 11:04:31 AM »
I thought I had read that somewhere but since I could not find it I decided to ask.

Anyway is there any attempt by avast to include in the Mail scanner support for SSL connections?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2004, 05:01:29 PM »
Well, the scanner certainly won't support SSL connections if they're enabled in your e-mail client. SSL means "encrypting the communication such that nobody else can read it" - so, of course, even an antivirus cannot see it.

What would be possible (I guess?) is keep the communication between the e-mail client and avast! mail scanner in plantext (i.e. not encrypted, which shouldn't be a problem because it's just two programs on your computer speaking to each other) and let avast! communicate with your real mail server using SSL. That would mean incorporating SSL libraries into avast!... we have already thought about it, but I don't know anything else about the status. I think it's not planned for any close future (but I may be wrong).