Author Topic: avast and XP SP2  (Read 11190 times)

newnick

avast and XP SP2
« on: August 23, 2004, 05:12:32 PM »
hi there,

I have installed the SP2 for XP Pro on my PC....and since that moment it takes more than 5 minutes to boot.
After checking the boot sequence with BootVis, it seems that Avast exe file make the problem.

Anybody knows how to fix this problem ?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:avast and XP SP2
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 05:21:14 PM »
SP2 is already know to have many issues. It is not Avast causing the problem, but SP2. Do a search on this board. There are several threads dealing with SP2 problems.

newnick

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 05:26:48 PM »
I didn't find anything about this kind of trouble.

I know that the SP2 has many different issues....but via the tool BOOTVIS i can check every process and how many times it take to run it.

My PC is a P4-2,8GHZ(HT) with 1Meg DDR.

All task and process runs quickly except all the avast process since I have installed the SP2.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 05:34:30 PM »
hi there,

I have installed the SP2 for XP Pro on my PC....and since that moment it takes more than 5 minutes to boot.
After checking the boot sequence with BootVis, it seems that Avast exe file make the problem.

Anybody knows how to fix this problem ?

BootVis is not a Microsoft official application anymore... Could work or not...
Anyway, it could depend of the startup sequence of the programs, which is undetermined into Windows... I suggest you use Startup Delayer (www.r2.com.au) to configure your system:

Startup Delayer 2.1.10 (Released: 2nd March 2004)

Can you learn another language in the time it takes for your machine to boot? Do you turn on your PC when you go to bed, so it's finished booting by the time you get home from work the next day?

When Windows loads it's Startup file, it attempts to load every program in there at the same time. Therefore if you have quite a lot of programs starting when Windows starts, each program will try and grab CPU time so that it can load.

If each program tries to do this at the same time, you soon notice the slow down that occurs, due to your CPU trying to help all the programs to load, and your hard disk accessing multiple files.

Startup Delayer allows you to setup how many seconds after Windows has started, to load each program.

For Example:
If you have your mail program and a special clock starting up, then you can make your mail start say 10 seconds after Windows has loaded, and then the special clock start 20 seconds after Windows Starts.

Other possibility, see if your firewall is not blocking (stressing) the system at that time... Or, even, try to repair your avast installation... Or, defragment your HDD...  8)
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 07:23:03 PM »
I have been monitoring other forums, neowin being one and there are tons of threads about problems with SP2, some about slow boot times.

I doubt that they are all using avast.

The SP2 update is a huge step forward and like XP broke lots of things, with some software and hardware not compatible. The same to a lessor degree is likely to be true with SP2.

It is estimated with an update this huge if they only have a 1% problem rate, it will still effect millions of prople. The permutations of peoples systems, software, hardware is huge.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Laser

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 02:58:26 AM »
I have had SP2 installed for about a week and not one problem with anything, didn't notice an increase in boot time either.  All my programs still work great.  Maybe some of the people who installed the SP2 got a beta version, or didn't turn off their applications before installing it.

Laser

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 03:12:30 AM »
Same here. Mine actually seems to respond better now than before I upgraded.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 02:22:58 PM »
This is really interesting.

Are you saying that during the 5 minutes, the system is totally stuck? I.e. not only avast, but also any other programs don't start?

Also, please check the Windows event log, Antivirus category. Are there any entries? Especially red or yellow ones?

(To access the windows event viewer, go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Francisw19

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2004, 04:14:56 PM »
I downloaded the 'network install' of SP2 when it was released earlier this month.  I installed it and have absolutely no issues!

I'm not sure where you got your SP2 from, but I have read in the MS forums that there are people downloading from non-MS sources (neowin, etc...even Kazaa!)  However, these non-MS sources seem to be causeing problems (no suprise!).  Some of the non-MS downloads were things like the German RC2, etc...

If you have your SP2 from a non-MS source, I would suggest reinstall it from Microsoft.   If you have SP2 directly from MS, then I don't know what else it could be.  I havn't heard too many bad things about SP2 (compared to SP1).

Hope you can solve your issue!

Chet

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2004, 06:10:29 PM »
I think I would like a more secure compute should I get the sp2 patch?

Chet

Jlo

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2004, 06:28:24 PM »
Hi,

Just got SP2 for XP home addition yesterday and running with Avast Home edition. Everything working fine together. No problems yet to report.

Kind Regards

Jlo

Max M.Wachtel III

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2004, 10:50:37 PM »
Here is what CRN had to say
" SP2 will wreak havoc on many security and firewall software utilities, forcing a redesign of antivirus suites, e-mail clients and firewalls. Test Center engineers installed SP2 on systems with utilities including Panda Software, Trend Micro, Symantec and Avast antivirus software, and all worked seamlessly. "
http://www.crn.com/
SP2 worked great on mine,P3 XP Pro (original install 3 yrs ago now)
-max