Author Topic: Problem with forum topic content/layout.  (Read 7752 times)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Problem with forum topic content/layout.
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 01:53:10 PM »
<snip>
Well, I can't see you still using XP in 2-5 or so years, so it will become normal for you eventually.

Since you mentioned updating, I'll comment on that.  It seems like the biggest "upgrade" to the OS that I've noticed from XP.  It actually has a program to deal with updates instead of a website and an active x control.  I think it's a nice improvement.

Anyway, here's to getting our main machines out of the "dark ages" and installing a modern OS soon!  ;D

I can, if I still have this desktop, I can't see me paying for a win7 upgrade on an existing system.

In two years, who knows too far in computer technology terms and win8 will no doubt be out at that point, so thee is every possibility of jumping win7 for my main system as and when I get round to changing it. So far it does everything that I want of it and there is nothing in win7 that I consider a must have as you must have a need of it.

I have a lot of software that does its job without fault on XP, upgrade to win7 and that would no longer be the case and unless you buy win7 Pro or the win7 Ultimate edition you haven't got XP Compatibility mode. So now we are also talking of the cost of upgrading software also.

My XP Pro system has been checked and would run win7, but I really don't see the logic in upgrading an old system when there is likely to be another OS along in 18 months, etc. So it simply isn't going to happen until I get a new desktop system and as I have said mine does what I ask of it and I can't justify the cost simply to have win7.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 01:56:06 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2010, 02:55:44 PM »
Anyway, here's to getting our main machines out of the "dark ages" and installing a modern OS soon!  ;D

My XP Pro system has been checked and would run win7, but I really don't see the logic in upgrading an old system when there is likely to be another OS along in 18 months, etc. So it simply isn't going to happen until I get a new desktop system and as I have said mine does what I ask of it and I can't justify the cost simply to have win7.
My Windows 7 system came with Vista and that is the main reason I updated to Windows 7.

I would not compare a desktop system to a netbook.
Windows 8 is more than 2years out.

13thSlayer

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 03:01:18 PM »
Ehwat. It's not out yet, it'll be out in 2012.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 03:03:02 PM by 13thSlayer »

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 06:32:36 PM »
Ehwat. It's not out yet, it'll be out in 2012.

Yet there are rumors around CES 2011 that MS has a tablet with Win 8 installed to show off.  Might be an Alpha product, but still.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum