Author Topic: Virus Guard powered by BitDefender  (Read 13727 times)

Offline HPY

• hpy
Virus Guard powered by BitDefender
« on: December 26, 2010, 09:37:07 PM »
Does anyone know whether Virus Guard working as a standalone security product conflicts with Avast?

Season's Greetings to all!
windows 10 version 1809 (Build 17763.195) 64 bit home - ACER Aspire 17 SSD  Processor Pentium CPU N4200 @ 1.10 GHz. - HD graphics - 4GB RAM -
Avast free. Windows Defender. Malwarebytes free scan.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
Re: Virus Guard powered by BitDefender
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 01:12:32 AM »
I have to say no as it might cause major confliction with Avast, I would prefer to wait for someone to reply your question with a more experience user who fully understand about Virus Guard powered by BitDefender.

And welcome to the Avast HPY
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 01:15:07 AM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 05:20:52 AM »
From the information gathered here: http://www.utorrent.com/documentation/virusguard

It looks like it only works with utorrent connections.

As for "BitDefender's Internet Security 2010" as referenced by this page:
http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/internet-security.html

It seems that 2010 is already out of date.

Sounds a lot like a scam to me though.  BitDefender is a Microsoft product, no?

Their website is asking for $49.95 for purchase, while BitDefender by Microsoft is free.

Sounds a lot like a Rogue-A/V or someone just out for some easy money.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline HPY

• hpy
Reply Scythe 944

"Sounds a lot like a scam to me though.  BitDefender is a Microsoft product, no?"

Thanks.

But I doubt that it is a scam, because it is a recommended Add-On app from among the "New Recommeded Apps" of the program uTorrent front-page itself.

Obviously since Avast monitors utorrent with its P2P scanner it may just clutter the system, although the site description says that Virus Guard only activated its scan when a download is completed - therefore making it a potentially uselful backstop?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 06:11:42 AM by HPY »
windows 10 version 1809 (Build 17763.195) 64 bit home - ACER Aspire 17 SSD  Processor Pentium CPU N4200 @ 1.10 GHz. - HD graphics - 4GB RAM -

Gargamel360

Obviously since Avast monitors utorrent with its P2P scanner
Slightly off-topic, but I thought Avast! P2P shield does not play nice with Utorrent, that is why it was unchecked by default, so out of curiosity, do you use it without any problems?

Offline HPY

• hpy
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 06:26:24 AM »
"Avast! P2P shield does not play nice with Utorrent, that is why it was unchecked by default"

On my version of P2P it is checked - I am not 100% sure whether I checked it myself, but I am fairly sure it was checked by default and it monitors any download throughout.

Gargamel360

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 06:42:34 AM »
Ok thanks

AdrianH

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 08:31:15 AM »

Sounds a lot like a scam to me though.  BitDefender is a Microsoft product, no?

Their website is asking for $49.95 for purchase, while BitDefender by Microsoft is free.

BitDefender (http://www.bitdefender.com )   is nothing to do with Microsoft, you are thinking Windows Defender (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx ) an entirely different product.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 10:26:19 AM »
It's useless anyway, just a slow scanner that doesn't block anything, it takes a million years to update definitions and if it finds an infection(and it probably will cause it produces plenty of fp's) it tells you to buy their suite. I assume we are talking about the uTorrent Virus Guard app right ?

Offline HPY

• hpy
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 10:42:11 AM »
It's useless anyway, just a slow scanner that doesn't block anything, it takes a million years to update definitions and if it finds an infection(and it probably will cause it produces plenty of fp's) it tells you to buy their suite. I assume we are talking about the uTorrent Virus Guard app right ?

Yes I am. The uTorrent Virus Guard app is advertised by on the uTorrent prog itself. I thought that since uTorrent is so popular it would be a good recommendation.

Thanks for that Darth. It sounds like you write from experience. Anyone agree?

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 11:30:21 AM »

Yes I am. The uTorrent Virus Guard app is advertised by on the uTorrent prog itself. I thought that since uTorrent is so popular it would be a good recommendation.

Thanks for that Darth. It sounds like you write from experience. Anyone agree?

MS Windows Defender is useless as Darth Mikey said it just a slow scanner that doesn't block anything, it takes a million years to update definitions and if it finds an infection (and it probably will cause it produces plenty of fp's) it tells you to buy their suite.

IF I'm not mistaken :-X
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline HPY

• hpy
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 11:43:59 AM »
NO.

This has nothing to do with Windows Defender. Read what Darth Mikey wrote!

We are duscussing the uTorrent Virus Guard app.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 05:52:59 PM »
Yes i tried it of course. Like i said, totally useless, the scanner is slow, the update definitions process takes forever and it produces plenty of FP's. And again, it does not have any cleaning capabilities whatsoever so i really can't see the logic behind it's name Virus Guard, implying it's some sort of a resident shield which it clearly isn't.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 01:02:59 AM »
From the information gathered here: http://www.utorrent.com/documentation/virusguard

It looks like it only works with utorrent connections.

As for "BitDefender's Internet Security 2010" as referenced by this page:
http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/internet-security.html

It seems that 2010 is already out of date.

Sounds a lot like a scam to me though.  BitDefender is a Microsoft product, no?

Sounds a lot like a Rogue-A/V or someone just out for some easy money.

No, that is not true, BitDefender has not been acquired by MS. In 2003 MS acquired GeCad(RAV Antivirus) and in 2004 GIANT Company Software(Giant AntiSpyware). Of course MS had an AV of their own back in the Win 3.x days, it was called MSAV and they acquired the av technology from Cetral Point Software(CentralPoint AntiVirus). MSAV was most famous for detecting the Windows 95 upgrade program as a virus. ;D Central Point Software was later bought by Symantec...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 01:12:09 AM by Darth.Mikey »

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 06:39:35 AM »
Well, not the first time I've gotten something wrong.  Certainly won't be the last.

I guess all that really matters is that we all agree that the program is worthless and should probably be avoided.

Thanks for the heads up everyone.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum