Author Topic: Error 2  (Read 5710 times)

Skrib69

Error 2
« on: December 06, 2010, 10:32:42 AM »
Hi There,

I downloaded the Free Avast when my Symantec got corrupted and I knew I had a virus. Avast has found the virus during a boot-time scan and is giving me options 1-8 as to how I want to deal with it, and here is my question.

If I select Delete (All) or Move (All) to Chest, I get a message Error 2 {STATUS_WAIT_2} and all the options come back.

If I select Repair (All), it cannot repair the file, and gives me all the options

If I select Ignore (All), it just skips over it and does not remove it.

If I hit Esc it aborts the scan.

Where it displays the directory where the file is located, it appears to be an email in Outlook Express (which I haven't used for years since I migrated over to Outlook), which is infected by win32:small-CFJ [Trj]

I know I am not a genius when it comes to pc's, but I manage to get round most issues myself. What am I missing???!!

Thanks for any advice out there!!

SafeSurf

Re: Error 2
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 11:04:35 AM »
Select "Move (All) to Chest."  It will be safe there, and if necessary you can restore thing from there at a later time after rescanning.

SafeSurf

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 11:08:33 AM »
1. Did you uninstall Symantec from your machine using the Norton uninstaller tool PRIOR to installing Avast on your machine?

2. After putting the items in your Virus Chest, can you give us a screen shot if possible or type exactly what is in your Chest so we know what files and malware was found?

3. Next, check your computer for malware with Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (MBAM).
·   Download free http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (the blue button) for an on-demand scanner.
·   Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
·   After install, click update so you have latest database before scanning.
·   Under Settings:
o   General: Automatically Save File After Scan Completes is checked off
o   Scanner SettingsCheck all boxes
o   Updater: Download and install update if available is checked off
·   Once the program has loaded, select "Perform FULL Scan", then click Scan.
·   The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
·   When the disinfection scan is complete, a log will appear in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note).
·   Click the “remove selected” button to quarantine anything found.  You will find the infection details under the Quarantine tab.
·   The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
·   Copy & Paste the entire report in your next reply.

Skrib69

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 12:01:57 PM »
Hi Safesurf,

Thanks for your reply. OK, so we seem to have Potential Fundamental Error #1. No, I uninstalled Symantec AFTER I installed Avast. Also, the Symantec updater is still on it becasue it tells me there are still some components left on there, and do I realy want to uninstall it.....

Also, I am trying to put the bug in the Chest, but it generates this Error 2, and reverts to asking me what I want to do, so unfortunately I cannot move past your point 2.

Should I procede directly to your point 3 or something else?!?!?

Thanks!!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 12:56:54 PM »
No, I uninstalled Symantec AFTER I installed Avast. Also, the Symantec updater is still on it becasue it tells me there are still some components left on there, and do I realy want to uninstall it.....

Not good..!! :(
You have to uninstall Symantec before installing avast, else there can be strange problems/conflicts...
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 02:29:46 PM »
No, I uninstalled Symantec AFTER I installed Avast. Also, the Symantec updater is still on it becasue it tells me there are still some components left on there, and do I realy want to uninstall it.....

Not good..!! :(
You have to uninstall Symantec before installing avast, else there can be strange problems/conflicts...
asyn

Symantec can be hard to remove so you should follow SafeSurf's advice using step 1.

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool to uninstall your Norton product
http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN&ln=en_US

Skrib69

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 04:07:05 PM »
Hi YoKenny,

OK, I have uninstalled Avast, run the Symantec Removal Tool,  re-installed Avast and re-run a Boot-up scan. It has found the bug again, but is still getting hung up with this error 2 when I try and move the bug to the Chest. I also run Adaware - is this likely to cause the same issue??

Thanks

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 08:23:02 PM »
I have not used Adaware in many years.
I would remove Adaware.

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 11:41:15 PM »
You have to uninstall Symantec before installing avast, else there can be strange problems/conflicts.
I would also uninstall Adaware as well.

Please then follow my instructions that I posted in my second post and show me your MBAM log.  Thank you.

Skrib69

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 04:21:52 PM »
Hi YoKenny & Safesurf,

I have at last found the time to look at this properly but unfortunately with no success.

I have uninstalled Spybot as well as Adaware, and have run the Symantec uninstall tool again in Safe and Normal modes. I have then unistalled and reinstalled the Avast, in Safe mode, and am still getting the same results running the Boot Scan ??? Also I cannot find the MBAM Log that you mention. ???

Any thoughts??

Thanks and have a good Christmas!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 07:18:37 PM »
Also I cannot find the MBAM Log that you mention.
when you open Malwarebytes, see the tabs on top, there is one named "Logs"