Author Topic: Bad move Grisoft  (Read 22406 times)

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Bad move Grisoft
« on: December 27, 2010, 03:30:19 PM »
http://www.majorgeeks.com/AVG_AntiVirus_Free_Edition_d886.html

Please note that while we still gladly offer AVG for download, recently AVG Free Edition has been breaking peoples computers, including both of the editors at Majorgeeks. We had a lot of difficulty removing and repairing our machines and we like to think we know what we are doing. After 10+ years we had to find a new anti-virus. Their new model seems to be a poorer quality free edition with an attempt to upsell to the paid versions. This is something we can not stand by and watch without warning you. We have had numerous emails as well from people who needed their computer fixed after a botched installation of AVG Free Edition. Other companies continue to offer free protection and we suggest you try those instead. I am currently using Panda Cloud anti-virus but Avast and Avira offer good, free protection. You might consider one of these alternatives. You'll thank us later.

We hope AVG makes a comeback in the free protection arena, an area we feel they had dominated all of these years.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 03:32:35 PM by minacross »
MW

YoKenny

Re: Bad move Grisoft
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 03:33:58 PM »
AVG False Positive against Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1
An AVG database update this morning (December 24, 2010) incorrectly detects two DLL files (mbamcore.dll and mbamnet.dll) in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1 as trojans. This is a false positive. AVG has acknowledged this false positive, and has promised us that it will be corrected within an hour.

We are sorry for our users who are affected by this. It has happened before in the past, and AVG had assured us it would not happen again.

We are also aware that this incident has negatively affected our rating on CNET Download.com and other portals. We would appreciate if a few of our users would set the record straight.
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=71130

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 03:36:21 PM »
thnx for the info  :)
MW

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 03:40:17 PM »
Their new model seems to be a poorer quality free edition with an attempt to upsell to the paid versions.
I've used AVG some months before avast, long time ago.
It was poorer than avast on configurability. avast has improved a lot its detection rate since then.
The AVG forum continues to be a junk.
I have no trust on Grisoft.
The model of making the free worse and worse to force the paid version is a continue bad movement from them. The update process of the free version used to be very very bad.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 03:52:20 PM »
thnx for the info  :)

Well, thanks for your info, as well..!! :)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 04:19:46 PM »
The model of making the free worse and worse to force the paid version is a continue bad movement from them. The update process of the free version used to be very very bad.
It does make it easier for me to convince people to use avast!5 Free when I do the avast Security Seminars.  :)
The fact that their current paid version is a system hog, doesn't hurt either. ;D
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

m00nbl00d

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 05:57:57 PM »
Does anyone have any evidence that shows that the related issues have only happened to the users of their free AV, showing this as "an attempt to upsell to the paid versions"?

Thanks

P.S: Is avast! also free of such issues? I've seen problems being mentioned... and some people get BSODs, etc... So, what to say about it?

Also, the issues with AVG only occurred to people using Windows 64-bit. I guess it was just "an attempt to upsell to the paid versions", but only 64-bit version?

I'm not here as an AVG defender... or whatever I might be seen as... these issues should not happen with any vendor!... but such comments are ridiculous, in my opinion, when problems exist with every security vendor, without one single exception.

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 05:58:07 PM »
the funny thing, when I posted it at AVG's forums. All they cared about was correcting my post (Grisoft to AVG Technologies), are they kidding me?
MW

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 06:11:19 PM »
the funny thing, when I posted it at AVG's forums. All they cared about was correcting my post (Grisoft to AVG Technologies), are they kidding me?
that tell us what there priority is.......and explains why this happend

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 06:12:35 PM »

Could you please post the link here..!?? Thanks..!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 06:21:41 PM »
Does anyone have any evidence that shows that the related issues have only happened to the users of their free AV, showing this as "an attempt to upsell to the paid versions"?

Thanks

P.S: Is avast! also free of such issues? I've seen problems being mentioned... and some people get BSODs, etc... So, what to say about it?

Also, the issues with AVG only occurred to people using Windows 64-bit. I guess it was just "an attempt to upsell to the paid versions", but only 64-bit version?

I'm not here as an AVG defender... or whatever I might be seen as... these issues should not happen with any vendor!... but such comments are ridiculous, in my opinion, when problems exist with every security vendor, without one single exception.
Most people that have gotten BSOD'S with the stable 5.0.667 version of avast have mostly been because of not thoroughly cleaning out previously use av's properly or some other configuration issue, i would say that the greater majority have no issue's with avast whatsoever.
The only thing i found surprising was that the editor's at majorgeek's were using such a crappy av in the first place.

m00nbl00d

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 06:43:20 PM »

Thanks

Most people that have gotten BSOD'S with the stable 5.0.667 version of avast have mostly been because of not thoroughly cleaning out previously use av's properly or some other configuration issue, i would say that the greater majority have no issue's with avast whatsoever.
The only thing i found surprising was that the editor's at majorgeek's were using such a crappy av in the first place.

Well, whether it's crappy or not, it's an opinion you're entitled to have... but why should that same opinion apply to everyone else? I believe others are from the opinion avast! is crap as well... Is it a valid, generalized, opinion? No. :)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 07:31:35 PM »

Thanks

Well, whether it's crappy or not, it's an opinion you're entitled to have... but why should that same opinion apply to everyone else? I believe others are from the opinion avast! is crap as well... Is it a valid, generalized, opinion? No. :)
Crappy does seem to be the generalised opinion of avg though and that is putting it nicely ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 07:49:33 PM »
I was personally referring to:
1. The update process that was always degraded to free users (limited servers).
2. Limitation of automatic updates a day.
3. No translated interface to the free version. Although this is not security related.
4. Shields that were free passed to the paid version.
Need more?

No, not a software is perfect. What we are referring is security related between free and paid.
Of course, neither AVG nor avast want bugs in the free version.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 08:56:15 PM »
And let's not forget this little problem in the first part of Dec.

AVG Update Cripples Users' Windows 7, Vista Computers

http://www.dailytech.com/AVG+Update+Cripples+Users+Windows+7+Vista+Computers/article20310.htm

Like Tech, I tried AVG years ago, Their product was bad and their forums were worse.

AND according to this, It was Malwarebytes, Quicktime, YouTube Downloader and Chrome that were being detected.

http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=139985

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 10:32:57 PM by Marc57 »
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!