Author Topic: Upgrade from Free AV to Internet Security  (Read 6272 times)

johny1g

Upgrade from Free AV to Internet Security
« on: December 26, 2010, 07:56:38 AM »
I have windows xp sp3 and have been using free Avast Antivirus with registration. Now I have won (Happy December with Avast)Avast Internet Security with new key. Should I uninstall Free AV & fresh install Internet Security with new key or use upgrade button from top right on Free AV ,problem is I have new different key?
Also I'm using Zone Alarm Pro as firewall & do I have to uninstall this first before upgrading or is it possible to not use Avast firewall until Zone Alarm Pro subscription expires. 
Thanks in advance for any help.
Johny1g

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Upgrade from Free AV to Internet Security
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 08:10:29 AM »
I think you can upgrade to ais but a clean install is my prefered method, just choose custom install when you run the install file and you can untick the avast firewall so it will not be installed to your system.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 11:41:05 AM »
craigb is right. Automatic upgrade would be smooth and easy if you want a full install, but to exclude the firewall, better to download the installer, uninstall Free and select only the components you want when installing AIS. You can add the firewall later.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 04:58:54 PM »
craigb is right. Automatic upgrade would be smooth and easy if you want a full install, but to exclude the firewall, better to download the installer, uninstall Free and select only the components you want when installing AIS. You can add the firewall later.

Hey Guys: I think it is always a good idea to run the aswClear clean up tool in Safe Mode after any uninstall of an Avast product. Just ellimatea any possibility of left over remnants.
Just my opinion fellas... ;D

After uninstalling Avast from 'Add and Remove Programs' please down load the Avast removal tool,http://public.avast.com/~forejt/aswClear.exe and run it in Safe Mode. Please choose the product/Version you are cleaning up and run the tool. Your system will automatically reboot when Finish is Clicked
Note: You can leave 'Path' empty.
Just some added thought. ;)

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 11:18:32 AM »
Also I'm using Zone Alarm Pro as firewall & do I have to uninstall this first before upgrading or is it possible to not use Avast firewall until Zone Alarm Pro subscription expires. 
Since ZA Pro is a firewall with an Internet Security, you need to uninstall it with the vendor's uninstaller tool, then reboot your machine.  You will not be able to run AIS with ZA Pro.  For protection after uninstalling ZA Pro, turn on your Window's firewall if it does not do so automatically after rebooting; you can either turn it off or leave it on once AIS is installed.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 12:59:02 PM »
 ??? I thought ZA Pro was just a firewall!

"Works with all Antivirus"
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 01:01:38 PM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 01:23:57 PM »
Alright im confused now ???

johny1g

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 02:22:23 AM »
Hi, thanks for advice but now I'm a bit confused as thought custom install as suggested by craigb would work ok.
But SafeSurf says "You will not be able to run AIS with ZA Pro.", I only have ZA Pro firewall.
Unless any other advice re AIS with ZA Pro which will help I will do a custom install, and install Avast firewall later.
Many Thanks
johny1g

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 03:04:58 AM »
Alright im confused now ???

Yes, I could use some clarification as well :-\

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 04:57:57 AM »
Well in checking out the link that Vladimyr supplied zone alarm pro does appear to be just a firewall so you should be able to proceed as discussed earlyer johny1g.

Hermite15

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 07:27:57 PM »
After uninstalling Avast from 'Add and Remove Programs' please down load the Avast removal tool,http://public.avast.com/~forejt/aswClear.exe and run it in Safe Mode. Please choose the product/Version you are cleaning up and run the tool. Your system will automatically reboot when

NO... the avast cleaner has to be used only in cases where the normal uninstaller doesn't work whatever the reason is. The normal uninstaller removes much more stuff than the cleaner. The cleaner is an emergency tool, useless after a normal uninstall, ie it won't remove anything left after that. If anything's left then, manual deletion is required.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 10:46:33 PM »
it won't remove anything left after that.
Technically wrong.
Yes, the tool removes things left behind: files and registry keys.
The best things in life are free.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 01:38:13 AM »
After uninstalling Avast from 'Add and Remove Programs' please down load the Avast removal tool,http://public.avast.com/~forejt/aswClear.exe and run it in Safe Mode. Please choose the product/Version you are cleaning up and run the tool. Your system will automatically reboot when

NO... the avast cleaner has to be used only in cases where the normal uninstaller doesn't work whatever the reason is. The normal uninstaller removes much more stuff than the cleaner. The cleaner is an emergency tool, useless after a normal uninstall, ie it won't remove anything left after that. If anything's left then, manual deletion is required.

I can only speak from personal experience with the multiple times I've removed and installed various versions of Avast, and if I don't run aswClear.exe I invarialbly have some problem, however if I run the tool in safe mode it does clear up items that are left behind by just going through 'Add and Remove'
Hey, but that's just my opinion based on my experience ;)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 01:39:50 AM by schmidthouse »

johny1g

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 09:14:01 AM »
Hi, Thanks for everybody's advice.
Have just installed AIS using custom install and everything went fine and all installed.
Going into safeboot after add/remove avast free, & running avast cleaner showed no leftovers but I had to force shutdown of program otherwise everything went smoothly.
Many Thanks
johny1g