Author Topic: Windows Firewall?  (Read 11919 times)

MAG

Re: Windows Firewall?
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 04:43:47 PM »
I am giving the latest Comodo FW/D+ another try. It is much more user friendly than it was a year ago - in fact it is virtually silent so far (having alerted only to GRC Leak Test).

Forgot to mention - Comodo is a big download for a firewall (about 50meg I think - you have to download the full CIS suite, and then install only the FW). If you're on dial (OP) I should probably leave it alone.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 04:54:26 PM by mag »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 04:44:42 PM »
Outpost Free Firewall is no more.

Now exists Outpost Security Suite Free with AV, Firewall and Anti-Spam.
I'm thinking about download and turnoff just the AV and keep the rest.

The Outpost 7.0 Security Suite Free, will detect avast being installed and will disable elements so they don't conflict. I tried this on my win7 netbook and it disables the AV and anti-spyware elements.

It can be found at http://free.agnitum.com/, though the download link will redirect to one of the major download sites (Cnet download.com).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline greyowl

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 04:46:42 PM »
Wow!  Thanks for all the information of these firewall--this is really helpful.
Dell Laptop, 1.6Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, XPsp3, Avast Free, Windows Firewall

Silk0

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 04:47:00 PM »
Thanks for the information, DavidR.

It's better to stick with COMODO for now...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 04:48:41 PM »
You're welcome, though personally I wouldn't stick with Comodo ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Silk0

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 04:57:34 PM »
I was to send you a PM asking why but you don't support PM's...  :(

Well... i have to ask here: Why?  :o

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 05:02:44 PM »
Simple, support questions should be addresses in the open forums where more than one can help and the subsequent question and answer can help more than one person.

If it is about Comodo, I just don't get that warm comfortable feeling about the company or rather should I say its supreme hero leader Meli.

Silk0

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 05:12:51 PM »
Hmmm... i see.

One last question: Do you recommend Outpost Free Firewall even if the last version it's of year 2009?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 05:18:26 PM »
If you can still get it (filehippo, etc.) it still provides a good level of protection, but personally I would go with the Outpost Free Security Suite as I said it will detect avast and disabled elements in Outpost for compatibility.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2010, 05:30:01 PM »
Do you recommend Outpost Free Firewall even if the last version it's of year 2009?
Me, not. I do not recommend softwares that does not have a clear development life cycle.
In my personal opinion, you have other options Comodo or
Online Armour.
The best things in life are free.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2010, 05:30:23 PM »
If you can still get it (filehippo, etc.) it still provides a good level of protection, but personally I would go with the Outpost Free Security Suite as I said it will detect avast and disabled elements in Outpost for compatibility.

I used OP Free before I went to Pro version and found it to be a very strong Firewall.
However, as DavidR mentioned OP Security Free is also very effective. I'm not totally sure about the Free Security Suite, but when installing OPFW Free, the installer does request that you add the Agnitum Folder found in C:\Programs to the Avast File Shield exclusions....maybe DavidR can confirm that as I have never used the security suite :)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2010, 05:34:23 PM »
I would get a hardware firewall. Doesn't slow down things (noticable) and is much safer than a software firewall. A suppost should stand in front of the door, not behind it. He must prevent not wanted people from comming in, not let them in first and than have to get them outside.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2010, 05:38:43 PM »
I would get a hardware firewall. Doesn't slow down things (noticable) and is much safer than a software firewall. A suppost should stand in front of the door, not behind it. He must prevent not wanted people from comming in, not let them in first and than have to get them outside.

You bet a Hardware firewall is definitely a good choice!
However, I also have a software firewall installed for those times I take the laptop away from my network (D-Link Router) into the public areas...Internet cafes etc. etc. ;)

MAG

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2010, 06:20:58 PM »
Most routers I've used seem to come with a firewall built in and by default set to "block all incoming", so I suspect a lot of broadband users already have a hardware firewall.

Logging into a router to configure all outbound rules is a bit too cumbersome for most I supect though (it certainly is for me). So unless you have complete faith in your resident real-time malware protection a software firewall for outbound seems useful to hopefully allow you to stop the malware phoning home and inviting in all its friends.

(Someone please tell me if I'm wrong - I'd be delighted to find it was OK to get rid of software firewalls).

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2010, 06:45:43 PM »
Most routers I've used seem to come with a firewall built in and by default set to "block all incoming", so I suspect a lot of broadband users already have a hardware firewall.

Logging into a router to configure all outbound rules is a bit too cumbersome for most I supect though (it certainly is for me). So unless you have complete faith in your resident real-time malware protection a software firewall for outbound seems useful to hopefully allow you to stop the malware phoning home and inviting in all its friends.

(Someone please tell me if I'm wrong - I'd be delighted to find it was OK to get rid of software firewalls).

Personally speaking, I don't think there is any reason to illiminate your software firewall. From advice I have received from Tech guys and from reviewing info on Security configurations with Hardware and software firewalls on the internet, the general consensus I have found is...It never hurts having another layer of security....other then a bit more use of resources. ;)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 06:47:41 PM by schmidthouse »