Author Topic: Serious performance hit with File System Shield on  (Read 1524 times)

sleat

Serious performance hit with File System Shield on
« on: December 30, 2010, 11:07:40 PM »
Running WinXP on a Core I7 machine with modern SATA drives, Avast Free latest version, with the FS protection swiched on (even with scan on read and scan on write OFF) the HDD performance is on the order of 1.8-2.5 megabytes per second. Not gigabytes or terabytes, MEGABYTES. This means copying a typical AVI ~1GB from one drive to another, even to a GB ethernet network connection, would take almost 10 minutes! It's quite odd that I can almost download a file from the internet faster than I can copy it from a drive with Avast FS protection turned on.

So, that's quite a serious hit, considering that _ordinary_ SATA performance is in the high-tens of megs per second, and premium (ex$pensive drives/RAID) can be in the hundreds with no special effort.

I was wondering why my system seemed almost unusable after upgrading to Core I7 from AMD a few months ago, and suddenly realized how much the performance was affected by the Avast filesystem scan.

Is this normal? Is there a way to have it turned on without such a performance hit?

Again, turning off scan on read and scan on write alone, did NOT help, but turning off the FS scan feature completely did. System now works like a Core i7 desktop should!

Cheers,
Joe