Author Topic: 5.1.861 Smooth as glass on a dinosaur  (Read 3946 times)

2nd base

5.1.861 Smooth as glass on a dinosaur
« on: December 30, 2010, 11:48:08 PM »
This is the old dinosaur with only 384mb of ram and 15g of storage running Windows XP home edition.

Plus I just had to put itunes on this machine because I didn't want it on my good ones and my kid just had to plug the thing in as soon as he opened it. Everything runs well and it appears that all is functioning properly. Actually this machine is running better than the "good" ones. I don't have any lag at all. Actually the new build opens up in less than a second.

I don't know which thread is opened or closed so I just scribbled it here for anyone else who has a weak machine on the side. It works. I guess.....
I've never had a virus pop up or anything after all of these years using this AV.

Thanks.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: 5.1.861 Smooth as glass on a dinosaur
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 12:18:17 AM »
Happy new year :-)

Silk0

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 12:21:24 AM »
Hi 2nd base.

Glad to see it's all OK with the last beta build for you... as far i know, this one can be the final beta build release before the final stable version so watch out... ;)

Happy New Year. :)

CharleyO

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 08:16:47 AM »

That's nice, 2nd base, because most people running XP with less than 512mb of RAM will have a slow machine.
You must be doing something right!    8)

2nd base

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 09:21:48 AM »
Well, the install over the existing build did wipe out my system restore points but that was simple to fix because all that was required was to create another one.I'll fiddle with what actually caused the bad scribble later.

Other than that, I'm happy. I'll install it on some vista systems in the next day or so via the auto update for others but as far as this old machine, it runs better than the others I have. Guess, I'm lucky. In fact, the thing started running faster than it did before. And that's with everything running. Itunes, Windows live messenger, 9 open windows, a youtube vid playing as well as a streaming radio, picture viewing software and quicktime just to test.Still don't like that ugly orage icon in the tray though. Something that moot just annoys me to no end every time I start the computer.

Happy new year, all.

2nd base

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 03:08:40 AM »
Well. It was nice while it lasted. Version number 5.1.884 crippled the xp machine. So I'm back to 5.0.677. Although  5.1.864 and 5.1.874 ran well too but I just don't know that the newest build isn't just conforming to others misconfiguration.Weird. :-\
It's unfortunate. I really liked the way the behavior shield was working too.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 03:19:02 AM by 2nd base »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 10:43:06 AM »
Well. It was nice while it lasted. Version number 5.1.884 crippled the xp machine. So I'm back to 5.0.677. Although  5.1.864 and 5.1.874 ran well too but I just don't know that the newest build isn't just conforming to others misconfiguration.Weird. :-\
The BhS is probably the only thing you might of had to change if you were getting problems, you could have uninstalled it though add remove program's rather then going back to .677.

2nd base

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 12:31:28 AM »
The BhS is probably the only thing you might of had to change if you were getting problems, you could have uninstalled it though add remove program's rather then going back to .677.

Maybe. I like the Behavior Shield though so I'll just wait on the final release.
I think it's probably this itunes stuff now residing and running when the pc is up. After I thin that thing out of the redundant things I don't use with it I'll give the new Avast build a try.

2nd base

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 07:22:41 PM »
It must have been all of the automatic functions in itunes that was causing Avast! to work so hard. I thinned out the redundancies and updatd via the user interface and all is well again. Since nothing was wrong initially with .861, at least on my machine, I don't know which was the fix. Thinning out the mess with itunes or the Avast update. Or both. Who knows.....

It's up and running fast again so that's that.