Author Topic: Gemeric host win32 error  (Read 4193 times)

7mm08

Gemeric host win32 error
« on: December 31, 2010, 03:46:32 PM »
New here so please excuse me if I'm in the wrong place. I get this error at random times and when it happens it freezes my computer so that I have to shut down using the power button. I cannot use my system restore. I would appreciate any help. Thanks 7mm08. ???

Tenko

Re: Gemeric host win32 error
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 06:59:42 PM »
Hey and welcome to avast forums!

Insert your Windows CD and select the first option.

I wish you a Happy New Year!

Regards,
              Tenko

7mm08

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 03:57:52 PM »
Tenko, can yoiu be a little more descriptive of the first option? I am very computer challenged. Thanks for the welcome, Phil

Tenko

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 06:14:30 PM »
I don't know by heart because I have never needed it but I know that windows as an option that will let windows investigate and find a solution to the problem. I am not sure but I think a file is missing. I will come back with more info.

Do you have more information that might be useful? Could you make a list of what programs you use?

I would also like to know when this began to happen.

Regards,
              Tenko

7mm08

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 07:28:55 PM »
Sure would apprecite your loking into it Tenko. This problem started randomly ~ four weeks ago. It seemed that everytime I got this error message a program or item would appear in my task manager called MSHTA.EXE. Then it locked me up. Could not even do a system restore. I'm using very basic programs;

Corell - Word - Adobe - Outlook express - and a anti virus called Avast. I do not play games or download music etc. Mostly use to internet for shopping and information. Hope this helps. Regards, Phil 

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 08:19:41 PM »

Tenko

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 11:27:12 PM »
I think you should download and update Malwarebytes. I also recommend you HitmanPro

Keep Hitman pro even if the 30 days license runs out; it will scan your computer for but it won't remove the malware.

Tell us how it is.

Regards,
                Tenko

7mm08

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 12:20:22 AM »
 have tried RegGenie, Malwarebytes, Avast, etc. to no avail. I'm completely unhappy with this computers software and have decided to send it back. There is something embedded in Windows OS that cannot be found. This problem has been around for a long time. I think I will order a new computer. I really want to thank you folks for being so supportive and wish you all a happy and healthy new year. Very best regards, Phil

Tenko

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 12:27:35 AM »
can you tell me where you see this MSHTA.EXE? is should on be here C:\WINDOWS\System32\mshta.exe.

Have your tried with Hitman pro?(sorry if it's a stupid question but I need to know.) read and download Drweb's rescue disk

Regards,
              Tenko

7mm08

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 12:57:40 AM »
Never tried Hitman pro. The mshta.exe shows up in the task manager. Cannnot find it anywhere else on the computer.

Tenko

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 11:18:06 AM »
dowload Processhacker. search now for the mshta.exe and right click and choose properties.

Please make a scan with Hitman pro and see if the recuse disk helps you.

I have looked myself and I can't see this exe file and I suspect that it's malware.

Regards,
              Tenko
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 11:26:28 AM by Tenko »

7mm08

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 03:23:58 PM »
Tenko, thank you very much for your help. I tried your suggestions and am afraid this computer needs to be disposed of. The folks i purchased it from are willing to give me a refund and I'm ready to send it back. Ordered a HP last night from Walmart. I'm sure all my programs will not transfer over to Windows 7 from XP and I was trying to avoid that problem but I guess it's time to bite the bullet. The very best to you, Phil