Author Topic: Blocked Internet And Shields Turn Off  (Read 4150 times)

woodoo

Blocked Internet And Shields Turn Off
« on: January 01, 2011, 10:42:28 PM »
I've had Avast Pro less than 24 hours and now I'm already fed up with it. I used the trial for several weeks with no problems. So I decided to pay for the pro service.

It worked fine the first few hours, internet and all. Then I couldn't get to any websites. The browser would sit blank for a few minutes and then I'd get a "connection reset" error. If I temporarily disable the shields, internet will work fine.

But then when I try to turn shields back on, nothing happens. The shields stay off, no error, no warning, no explanation.

I'm fed up. How can I make this program work properly?

Gargamel360

Re: Blocked Internet And Shields Turn Off
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 10:50:19 PM »
Shields wont start?  Try Repair first.  Proceed as though you are going to uninstall Avast! normally through Windows, but choose the "repair" option from the menu when it appears, then follow the presented steps.

If that does not work, what Avast! program version are you running, what is your OS, what other security programs (if any) do you have installed?

woodoo

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 11:09:35 PM »
Shields wont start?  Try Repair first.  Proceed as though you are going to uninstall Avast! normally through Windows, but choose the "repair" option from the menu when it appears, then follow the presented steps.

If that does not work, what Avast! program version are you running, what is your OS, what other security programs (if any) do you have installed?

Thanks for the quick response! The most annoying thing about this is that I've been using the trial version without any problems - and I loved it. But as soon as I purchase a 2 year license, suddenly I cant even browse the internet without issues!

I think I figured it out, though. The problems started when I downloaded and installed the version  that was linked on my invoice. It was newer than the trial version I was using. So, I un-installed the newer version and went back to the older version. It appears (knock on wood) to have resolved the issue.

The trial version 5.0.677
The invoice version 5.0.864
OS - Windows XP SP3
Also using COMODO and Malwarebytes.

Thanks again. I hope I don't have to come back! ;)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 11:45:12 PM »
Shields wont start?  Try Repair first.  Proceed as though you are going to uninstall Avast! normally through Windows, but choose the "repair" option from the menu when it appears, then follow the presented steps.

Thanks for the quick response! The most annoying thing about this is that I've been using the trial version without any problems - and I loved it. But as soon as I purchase a 2 year license, suddenly I cant even browse the internet without issues!

I think I figured it out, though. The problems started when I downloaded and installed the version  that was linked on my invoice. It was newer than the trial version I was using. So, I un-installed the newer version and went back to the older version. It appears (knock on wood) to have resolved the issue.

The trial version 5.0.677
The invoice version 5.0.864
OS - Windows XP SP3
Also using COMODO and Malwarebytes.

Thanks again. I hope I don't have to come back! ;)

Hi woodoo: I'm curious,if I understand, did you attempt the install of newer version(which is 5.1.864) directly over  the .677 version or did you unistall .677 via Add and Remove Program before installing .864?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 11:46:46 PM by schmidthouse »

woodoo

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 12:20:07 AM »
Hi woodoo: I'm curious,if I understand, did you attempt the install of newer version(which is 5.1.864) directly over  the .677 version or did you unistall .677 via Add and Remove Program before installing .864?

Now that you mention it, I think I did install over without uninstalling the first. But also, I went back and checked the invoice version and found it was older v 5.0.418. I thought the program was newer because it was showing version .864, but I now remember after installing it and then activating the license, I updated to the 5.0.864 version.  Sorry for the confusion.

Maybe that's why I had issues.

I then uninstalled v .864 and reinstalled with the .677 version which I'd been using for the trial. Thankfully, all appears to be working properly now (still knocking on wood!)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 12:48:43 AM »

Now that you mention it, I think I did install over without uninstalling the first. But also, I went back and checked the invoice version and found it was older v 5.0.418. I thought the program was newer because it was showing version .864, but I now remember after installing it and then activating the license, I updated to the 5.0.864 version.  Sorry for the confusion.

Maybe that's why I had issues.

I then uninstalled v .864 and reinstalled with the .677 version which I'd been using for the trial. Thankfully, all appears to be working properly now (still knocking on wood!)

The latest version is 5.1.864 not 5.0.864.
Do you now have 5.0.677 installed?
That is an older version

If you are intending on installing the latest version (5.1.864) then please follow these instructions for a Clean install(with all the uninstalling and installing it could be very likely there are remnants of older versions).

Please Download the latest version of Avast, 5.1.864 
Free AV: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe
Pro AV: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_pro.exe
Internet Security: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe

and save it to your hard drive where you can access it easily.
 Then download the Avast Clean up Utility http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your hard drive where you can access it easily.
Please go to Start/Control Panel/Add and Remove Programs and choose Avast and click Remove and then Uninstall. Once the uninstall process is completed, Reboot your computer and when up and running, Reboot again into 'Safe Mode' and find the (aswClear v5) download you saved to your hard drive and run the Clean up tool. Make sure you first choose the version you want to cleanup and then run the tool, your computer will automatically reboot. Once up and running in Normal Mode, Install the latest version of Avast you saved to your hard drive.
 All should be fine. Please remember you need to choose the version in the Clean up tool that you have had installed on your system. If you have had both v.4 and v.5 installed, then you need to follow the ‘safe mode’ process twice; once for each version separately.
If you have any problems please feel free to let us know.

woodoo

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 04:03:58 PM »
Maybe it was 5.1.864, but my updater says the latest version is 5.0.864. A screen shot of it:

Anyway, I've got the steps. I've downloaded the removal tool and, when I decide to try upgrading, I'll use your instructions. Thanks for all the help. :)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 04:20:27 PM »
Maybe it was 5.1.864, but my updater says the latest version is 5.0.864. A screen shot of it:

Anyway, I've got the steps. I've downloaded the removal tool and, when I decide to try upgrading, I'll use your instructions. Thanks for all the help. :)

You're Welcome :)