Author Topic: WARNING, DANGEROUS BUG !! 5.1.864 is not scanning anything  (Read 35543 times)

Offline BJ_GeOrgE

• Avast Evangelist
  • prevention is better than cure
Re: WARNING, DANGEROUS BUG !! 5.1.864 is not scanning anything
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »
same problem here..only web shield is working..should i make the changes in the registry or is it gonna be a program update soon?
Antivirus: Avast Free v8.0.1497/Firewall: Windows Firewall/On Demand: Malwarebytes Free Edition/Other tools: CCleaner

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2011, 03:58:08 PM »
There are reports in this topic that a clean reinstall also resolves this.

So you could try that rather than do any registry hack or wait for a program update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

WhiteZero

« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2011, 04:26:09 PM »
I also had this issue. I was concerned when I noticed a lot of slow down when navigating folders, it would take a long time to populate the list or render the icons. I checked the File System Shield and noticed nothing was going on.

A clean install fixes this. But I'm very disappointed by this bug, since I have a lot of friends and family running Avast too, not they won't be properly protected after this update until I go and clean install for them...  >:(

Offline BJ_GeOrgE

• Avast Evangelist
  • prevention is better than cure
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2011, 06:01:23 PM »
I also had this issue. I was concerned when I noticed a lot of slow down when navigating folders, it would take a long time to populate the list or render the icons. I checked the File System Shield and noticed nothing was going on.

A clean install fixes this. But I'm very disappointed by this bug, since I have a lot of friends and family running Avast too, not they won't be properly protected after this update until I go and clean install for them...  >:(

i see why you are disappointed and you have the right to be..but they didnt do it for purpose..if you are an avast user for long time,then you know that version 5.1 took long time and that's because they try hard to make it better..but we are humans(except eset that is a robot :P )and human error is always present either you see it or not..so yes they didnt fix a very nasty bug but only because they didnt see it and now they do their best to solve it the sooner possible..dont tell them anything and let them take the update when its ready(except of your friends who will browse internet a lot i suppose)...
Antivirus: Avast Free v8.0.1497/Firewall: Windows Firewall/On Demand: Malwarebytes Free Edition/Other tools: CCleaner

WhiteZero

« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2011, 07:58:13 PM »
Of course they didn't do it on purpose. But what was all the Beta testing for? Several people said they had this same issue during Beta.
It should have been weeded out before release. Rather large oversight.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2011, 08:30:18 PM »
Of course they didn't do it on purpose. But what was all the Beta testing for? Several people said they had this same issue during Beta.
It should have been weeded out before release. Rather large oversight.

It was reported yes, but not reproduced by those at avast
It stands to reason then that when it is released officially that when more people (who didn't partake in the beta test) who can get this problem report it, it is easier to diagnose...unfortunately there will inevitably be problems that will only arise (or be tracked down) after a general release...

Hmm.. Indeed this was reported by RejZoR in one of the beta builds but we could never simulate it here. The upgrade path from v4.8 to 5.1 was tested on a number of different systems and we couldn't find a single problem.

Offline llanedeyrnjack

« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2011, 12:47:45 AM »
hi all, having just read through this thread i decided to check my real time shields & i found that no emails have been scanned since early august.

i then took the advice of other posters & did a clean install of 5.1.864 & sent myself an email which was not scanned outbound or inbound. i just wonder if anyone has any idea why this is happening & what i can do to solve it

thanks
llanedeyrnjack

gazs1

« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2011, 12:53:33 AM »
Update i installed ais 5.1 via the update in gui on my 7x64 lappy and everything went smooth and all shields are scanning :)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2011, 01:27:06 AM »
hi all, having just read through this thread i decided to check my real time shields & i found that no emails have been scanned since early august.

i then took the advice of other posters & did a clean install of 5.1.864 & sent myself an email which was not scanned outbound or inbound. i just wonder if anyone has any idea why this is happening & what i can do to solve it

thanks
llanedeyrnjack

If it is from early August then it is unrelated to this particular topic. So I suggest you start your own new topic, click the New Topic button here, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0. Post your question there, under a topic subject 'emails not being scanned' or similar and we will try to help.

Post info on your Operating System, email program, what email service/ISP you are using and if it requires SSL (a secure encrypted connection).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline llanedeyrnjack

« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2011, 09:26:04 AM »

If it is from early August then it is unrelated to this particular topic. So I suggest you start your own new topic, click the New Topic button here, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0. Post your question there, under a topic subject 'emails not being scanned' or similar and we will try to help.

Post info on your Operating System, email program, what email service/ISP you are using and if it requires SSL (a secure encrypted connection).

hi DavidR & thanks for the reply,

i have'nt started a new topic as after reading your reply i realised that it must have been around august that i altered my email settings to "requires ssl" which i then remembered removes the avast scan. i unticked the boxes & 'voila' surprise,surprise its working ok lol .

sorry to have been any trouble & thanks again

llanedeyrnjack

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2011, 03:30:11 PM »
You're welcome and if that was your problem, then there is a corresponding setting in avast to allow for SSL and for the emails to be scanned and that is why it needs to be done in a new topic if you want a full resolution.

Slider51

« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2011, 03:52:41 PM »
I'm still with Ver 5.0.677, but of course I'm being prompted to update.  This may sound dumb, but should I go ahead and update?  I mean, is Avast aware of the bug and possibly fixed it now?

Thanks,

Slider