Author Topic: is it possible to stop avast pop-ups? are they genuine pop-ups?  (Read 7680 times)

Stuy

is it possible to stop avast pop-ups? are they genuine pop-ups?
« on: January 01, 2011, 12:43:32 PM »
Only in the last month I've strated to get pop ups advertising avast upgrades, unfortunately they interfere with other applications I have running throughout the day and cause these to crash when avast forces me back to desktop to look at the advert.

First of all does anyone know if this is a genuine advert, and secondly if this is a genuine avast advert is it possible to remove it to avoid being forced to desktop? (tends to happen once after each restart but can take up to an hr to occur after start up before it appears / pop's up again.

Lastly if it's not an avast tool/advert how do I get rid of it? (for info nothing is being picked up by running scans).

Thanks in advace of any comments, I thought it was better check here in case something dodgy has found it's way into my system.... I expect some advertising for free products but the intrusiveness of this and how it affects the rest of my system makes it feel like it could something more sinister. I hope I'm wrong!

Hermite15

Re: is it possible to stop avast pop-ups? are they genuine pop-ups?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 12:51:10 PM »
Avast free doesn't display such popups, so you've probably downloaded a rogue AV or you got a trojan or something. Can you post screenshots of these popups?

Avastfan1

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 01:00:37 PM »
That sounds strange.........

If you have not already, I would complete the following:

1. A full boot-time scan with the latest version of Avast

2. A full scan with MBAM http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Stuy

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 01:16:38 PM »
Thanks for speedy & helpful replies.

I'm using Avast 4.8 home edition. I'll try to take a screen shot when it happens next. I've not used the MBAM before, cheers for the link.

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 01:22:38 PM »
lol okay I don't know how it shows with 4.8 running, but you might just be getting popups prompting you to upgrade to 5.1 ;D which is absolutely normal. Also, unless you're still running a system with Win9x, you should do the upgrade to 5.1 as soon as possible.

http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe

Avastfan1

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 01:25:43 PM »
Agreed.

The latest version of Avast is 5.1.864.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 01:46:25 PM »
Stuy, the support for version 4.8 will end very soon. Move to 5.1 :)
The best things in life are free.

Stuy

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 03:55:44 PM »
Ok I'll upgrade to 5.1 & cross my fingers the pop ups will stop. Finally got a screen shot as well, but I think from what you all say it's not a dodgy pop up after all! 

Thanks for your time and replies.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 05:39:37 PM »
You're welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help or just to change experiences 8)
The best things in life are free.

Avastfan1

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 05:55:31 PM »
Probably would not hurt to run MBAM anyway.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 06:24:20 PM »
Probably would not hurt to run MBAM anyway.

+1
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

bobtemple

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 06:50:54 PM »
alright 1st I'm tired of seeing everyones only answer to the avast 5 thing and subsequent pop up annoyance is to accept it upgrade and move on and i find it laughable how people think that ones preference to NOT upgrade is some how stupid furthermore i understand support for lesser versions will be no longer but to say i cant get new virus definitions is definitely stupid they (avast programmers) could, should they choose to, make the virus updates compatible across all versions including the 4.8 and 5 versions. i started using avast as well as recommended it to several people saying it was the best i have ever used because of the freedom of use and no bother with wanting money from home users. well that went out the window now they want money keep bothering me with this upgrade crap and I'm about over it!!!!!!!! also i believe the version 5 isn't as complete as previous versions because like all other "free" antivirus software e.g. mcaffee norton avg i could keep listing they want money for "full" protection so those of you who think you are better protected with the free version 5 avast you are mistaken you need to pay them for full protection. that in itself is more or less the sole reason why i won't be upgrading to 5. and to answer all fellow non-upgraders with real info and not just berating you to upgrade here it is :
For those who would like to get rid of the annoying "NAG" window for version 5 update, do the following:

1. Disable the self-defense module. To disable the avast! Self-defense module:

Right click avast! tray icon --> program settings -->'Troubleshooting' tab --> check- 'Disable avast! self-defense module'
2. Locate and rename the file "asw5Not2.exe". It should be located in the Avast4 folder.
3. Re-enable the self-defense module.

This was apparently part of a virus definition update, even though it has nothing to do with virus definitions.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 06:54:57 PM »
Any need to post this to an outdated topic...???
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

spg SCOTT

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 06:55:03 PM »
Please stop spamming the forum with this post, we get it.

i understand support for lesser versions will be no longer but to say i cant get new virus definitions is definitely stupid they (avast programmers) could, should they choose to, make the virus updates compatible across all versions including the 4.8 and 5 versions.
The engine has changed, and been updated, hence the fact that it is not backwards compatible. The new engine is better, and can detect more.

also i believe the version 5 isn't as complete as previous versions because like all other "free" antivirus software e.g. mcaffee norton avg i could keep listing they want money for "full" protection so those of you who think you are better protected with the free version 5 avast you are mistaken you need to pay them for full protection
Ok, if you say so.