Author Topic: avast! 5.1.864 Slower then avast! 5.0.677?  (Read 5426 times)

gate1975mlm

avast! 5.1.864 Slower then avast! 5.0.677?
« on: January 01, 2011, 05:23:38 AM »
I just upgraded from avast!5.0.677 to avast! 5.1.864 and I don't know what changed in Avast but now it is causing Weather Watcher Live to update a lot slower when opening the main Weather Watcher window.

It was almost instant with avast! 5.0.677 installed but now it is a lot slower with avast! 5.1.864.

I also notest that when I click on a folder in the Start All Programs menu the icons for each program appear a lot slower then with avast! 5.0.677 installed.

So what has changed from avast! 5.0.677 to avast! 5.1.864  that would cause this?

I was very happy with avast! 5.0.677 it was running perfect infact but since upgrading to avast! 5.1.864 overall system performance seems worse! :(

I am running WIndows 7 64 Bit.

And Avast Pro version.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 05:29:22 AM by gate1975mlm »

gate1975mlm

Re: avast! 5.1.864 Slower then avast! 5.0.677?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 05:47:35 AM »
Ok after a little testing I found out that the "Script Shield" is whats causing Weather Watcher Live to update the main window slower.

Again I did not have this issue with avast! 5.0.677.

Is there anything that can be done about this besides disableing the "Script Shield"?

Click on Screen shot below to see the file that is being scanned and slowing down Weather Watcher Live window.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 06:02:46 AM by gate1975mlm »

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 09:43:43 AM »
Ok after a little testing I found out that the "Script Shield" is whats causing Weather Watcher Live to update the main window slower.

Again I did not have this issue with avast! 5.0.677.

Is there anything that can be done about this besides disableing the "Script Shield"?

Click on Screen shot below to see the file that is being scanned and slowing down Weather Watcher Live window.

id say just completely uninstall that module, its completely unnecessary overlap IMO.
Windows 7 x64 / Windows Firewall OFF / UAC OFF
Real-Time: Avast Internet Security / WinPatrol

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 09:45:09 AM »
I'd say the slowdowns are hardly caused by the ScriptShield. But of course, you can try disabling/uninstalling it an see if it resolves the issue.

I'd more suspect the new Behavior Shield though...

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

GrailKnight

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 11:31:15 AM »
I'd say the slowdowns are hardly caused by the ScriptShield. But of course, you can try disabling/uninstalling it an see if it resolves the issue.

Thanks
Vlk

Just finished updated Avast as well to the above mentioned version and upon reboot noticed a serious slowdown of my PCs Programs.
Rebooted again for good measure and no change.

Went through all of the Real Time Shields settings as well as disabling individually each shield and ended up w/ the

"Real Time File System" being the culprit. Unchecking scan scripts or for PUP makes no difference.

Disabling the "Real Time File System" is the only way to solve this issue.

***A side note the animation of the tray icon was also broken by this update****

Win7 Pro 64bit

Script

gate1975mlm

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 03:37:24 PM »

Thanks
Vlk

Ok after more testing you are correct VIK "ScriptShield" was not the cause of any slowdown. I did a test and disabled every module 1 by 1 and it turns out that when I disabled "Real Time File System" my whole computer was running faster! Weather Watcher Live main window now opens and updates fast like it should. And also the icons for the installed software under All Programs appear now almost instantly!

So something in the  "Real Time File System" module changed for the worst when going from 5.0.677 to 5.1.864.

I LOVE Avast so much and will be preying that you wonderful programers at Avast will be able to fix this slowdown issue!!!

I do not like the way my computer runs and feels since upgrading to the new Avast 5.1.864 :(

I guess I could goback and install 5.0.677 for now but I know its always a good idea to use the latest updates especially with AntiVirus software so that is not really a long term option :(
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 03:41:00 PM by gate1975mlm »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 03:40:08 PM »
Does the File System Shield exhibit any activity when you execute those programs in question? (i.e. is the avast tray icon spinning, and does the Last Scanned File item in the Shield's console change)?

gate1975mlm

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 03:51:09 PM »
Does the File System Shield exhibit any activity when you execute those programs in question? (i.e. is the avast tray icon spinning, and does the Last Scanned File item in the Shield's console change)?

Yes everytime I open Weather Watcher Live from the system tray the Avast tray icon spins. However there is no Last Scanned File info at all. In fact it has been saying 0/0 since installing 5.1.864.

Now as far as when clicking on the program folders under "All Programs" I don't see the Avast system tray icon moving at all.

Screenshot

« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 05:01:19 PM by gate1975mlm »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 03:58:06 PM »
Alright then. So you're also hit by that problem where the drivers haven't been updated.

In this case, I'd suggest reinstalling avast now.

Just uninstall it, reboot, and download it again and install.
Hopefully, it will help.

Thanks
vlk

gate1975mlm

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 05:41:58 PM »
Alright then. So you're also hit by that problem where the drivers haven't been updated.

In this case, I'd suggest reinstalling avast now.

Just uninstall it, reboot, and download it again and install.
Hopefully, it will help.

Thanks
vlk

Great News!!! :) :)

After uninstalling avast! 5.1.864 rebooting and then reinstalling again now my whole computer is super fast again! Weather Live Watcher and also the icon for programs under the All Programs list is now super fast!

Thanks so much for helping me with this issue so quick :)

See I normally upgrade over the older version installed I never have issues like this.

Was it because I was going form 5.0 to 5.1 and there are major difference under the hood?

Thanks again and a Big Happy New Year to you!!!

Looking forward to Avast 6.0 :)