Author Topic: Hello, does anyone know how to open ports to allow uTorrent with Avast  (Read 15078 times)

AirHendrix

Hello,

Does anyone know how to allow uTorrent while Avast Home Free Edition is being run on a computer? I"m pretty sure my ports are blocked on my computer because while I'm at home, I can torrent like its no tomorrow yet here at school my ports are somehow blocked even though I'm on my personal laptop, any way around this to open up my ports?

I know the port number too cause I tried using BitComet and it told me the port number which... I'm not really gonna disclose for security reasons but lemme know big_smile

Dch48

Re: Hello, does anyone know how to open ports to allow uTorrent with Avast
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 08:29:49 AM »
The Free AV has nothing to do with ports for uTorrent. That is a Firewall issue and not that of an AV program. Make sure you have the port forwarded through your router (if you use one) and that your Firewall is configured to allow incoming and outgoing connections from uTorrent. In the Windows firewalls it's the simple addition of an exception.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 10:04:13 AM »
yet here at school my ports are somehow blocked even though I'm on my personal laptop
This would then be in your schools firewall, and my guess is that the school is blocking torrent activity on there nett....?

Dch48

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 01:41:24 AM »
Yes, many schools block Bittorrent from working because of security risks and illegal downloads of copyrighted material.

AirHendrix

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 05:03:41 AM »
Yeah I allowed the exception of uTorrent with my firewall. So there's no way around this? My roommate can torrent like its nothing on his mac with his torrent client... Any ideas on what to do?

I mean, he can torrent stuff and send it to me through AIM but I'd rather torrent it myself.

Dch48

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 06:57:57 AM »
I don't know what to tell you. If you can torrent at home but not at school then obviously the school is blocking it. Maybe they haven't gotten around to recognizing the Mac based torrent clients and blocking them.