Author Topic: 5.1.864 Problem with Acer Laptop  (Read 19001 times)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: 5.1.864 Problem with Acer Laptop
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 04:26:41 AM »
There is nothing stopping you doing that as you have here, use the quote reference in that topic back to this topic.
I don't know how to show one quote in on thread and moving it to another thread. Unless it's cut and paste. BTW how do you get it to show in blue. IOW to show one link in another.

Easy click the quote button in this topic and copy and paste the entire content of the quote into the other topic.

Its best not to mess with the colour as you don't know what forum theme others might be using and that can result in poor contrast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

solo1959

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 02:51:44 PM »
Thanks, it's not need to repair/reinstall avast - we know what's this problem and we're working on it right now. It should be fixed in next program update (Sunday/Monday).
How will I know when the update is available? Will it be a different number than 5.1.864?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 03:07:48 PM »
If it's a program update you will be notified in your GUI and in the forum and it would probably have a new version number 5.1.!!!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 05:09:00 AM by craigb »

An.Avast.User

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 11:02:39 PM »
I was just updated to 5.1.864. My Acer laptop, Win 7 Home Premium, is having a problem. After boot-up, I get an error window popping up on my screen. I click, OK, and it keeps popping up. My fix was to do a System Restore to the previous version of Avast. It stopped the problem, but then Avast stopped working. I was forced to do the update to Avast, and the problem recurs.

The error window reads: ePower_DMC.exe - Application Error
The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application.

I now have the error window on my screen, on top of everything, all the time. The only change was my upgrade to Avast 5.1.864.

Is there a fix????

Hi, any news on the fix? I have this same problem, my laptop is Acer Aspire 5920 windows vista home premium 32. All i have done in the mean time is close the acer software to stop the pop ups. Thanks .

solo1959

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 03:00:31 AM »
I was just updated to 5.1.864. My Acer laptop, Win 7 Home Premium, is having a problem. After boot-up, I get an error window popping up on my screen. I click, OK, and it keeps popping up. My fix was to do a System Restore to the previous version of Avast. It stopped the problem, but then Avast stopped working. I was forced to do the update to Avast, and the problem recurs.

The error window reads: ePower_DMC.exe - Application Error
The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application.

I now have the error window on my screen, on top of everything, all the time. The only change was my upgrade to Avast 5.1.864.

Is there a fix????

Hi, any news on the fix? I have this same problem, my laptop is Acer Aspire 5920 windows vista home premium 32. All i have done in the mean time is close the acer software to stop the pop ups. Thanks .
I think the problem was more difficult than they anticipated. pk seemed to have it figured out at a glance, but probably the fix is more complex. It was a big update to the program, other people had different problems. I "THINK" they're trying to fix it all in one release. Sunday/Monday is past... I hope it's fixed soon.

More importantly, how do you turn off the Acer software? Maybe that will help me out in the meantime. I am not able to close the error window.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 03:13:28 AM »
I don't know if this is the same issue as with Dells, loading their drivers early, etc. but some of those have uninstalled the Behaviour Shield (BeS) as a temporary measure until this is resolved in a program update.

So if one of you with an Acer with this problem (my little win7 acer d255 netbook doesn't) could try uninstalling the BeS and report if that works.

From windows add remove programs, Avast! xxx, click the Change/Remove button; from the new window select the Change section; from the list of Shields, uncheck the one for the Behaviour Shield and OK your way out. Now reboot and see if that resolves the problem.

This may be better than disabling the acer software as it is also relatively east to reverse this after any avast program update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

solo1959

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 03:25:19 AM »
I don't know if this is the same issue as with Dells, loading their drivers early, etc. but some of those have uninstalled the Behaviour Shield (BeS) as a temporary measure until this is resolved in a program update.

So if one of you with an Acer with this problem (my little win7 acer d255 netbook doesn't) could try uninstalling the BeS and report if that works.

From windows add remove programs, Avast! xxx, click the Change/Remove button; from the new window select the Change section; from the list of Shields, uncheck the one for the Behaviour Shield and OK your way out. Now reboot and see if that resolves the problem.

This may be better than disabling the acer software as it is also relatively east to reverse this after any avast program update.
Cool! No more error message!!! I get a working computer, and antivirus protection. Not too sure what Behavior Shield does, but deactivating it got rid of the error. Now awaiting the fix, but my computer works in the meantime.

Thank you

falkor

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 03:26:41 AM »
Solo . Whatever the next release is above .864 should contain the fix . It should be posted in here when it is released . Good luck

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 03:34:06 AM »
<snip>

Cool! No more error message!!! I get a working computer, and antivirus protection. Not too sure what Behavior Shield does, but deactivating it got rid of the error. Now awaiting the fix, but my computer works in the meantime.

Thank you

You're welcome.

A very simplified description of the behaviour shield from an avast user like yourself is, it is looking for things loading low level drivers, etc. unusual behaviour to try and prevent rootkits, zero day viruses, etc. But it is currently meant to be operating in passive mode actually gathering information rather than physically blocking, so I don't know why there is this kind of interaction (conflict).

This information is passed through the avast community process so as to fine tune the behaviour rules and filters to avoid false detections when it moves from passive to active detection.

Hopefully it won't take long to be resolved.

An.Avast.User

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 09:59:43 PM »
Cheers from me too, DavidR. Stopping the Behavior Shield has worked for me too ;). When i saw your message i tried adding the affected .exe's to the trusted list in the BShield. Just to let others know this did not work. So i tried your method and that worked.
Thanks again.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 10:17:42 PM »
You're welcome, glad that it also worked for you.

By stopping the behaviour shield I take it you mean uninstalling it, rather than just disabling/stopping it ?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 10:34:55 PM »
Please see here.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

solo1959

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2011, 01:49:03 AM »
Please see here.

Thanks
Vlk
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

The update worked. Everything is fixed. Not only am I happy that all is good, I am very impressed with the quick responses and how you took the report seriously. Thank you all again.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2011, 02:41:06 AM »
5.1.874 beta is out and I have had no issues with my Acer laptop.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

An.Avast.User

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
Thanks Vlk, works for me too. Although while im here ( maybe this should be a new thread ). I have another pc with win2k pro, the file system shield appears to not work, if i click START it shows a pop up "unable to find shield" Any ideas on this problem?
Thanks again.

Win2k problem solved: please ignor. There were traces of norton stopping it working, all is ok now.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 09:39:13 AM by An.Avast.User »