Author Topic: [Resolved] Version 5.1.864 conflict with Dell 1395 wireless card driver  (Read 34306 times)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: [Resolved] Version 5.1.864 conflict with Dell 1395 wireless card driver
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2011, 10:51:54 AM »
But I don't care for the "evangelists" continuing to try selling me something I don't want.
I haven't tried to sell you anything simply stated that there was a new signed driver available.
If you in your wisdom have decided not to update to the new version, then so be it.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2011, 04:33:24 PM »
<snip>
No other changes to my system were needed (or desired); the new Avast version fixed my problem, as I suspected it would.
It's still a good idea to upgrade your driver.  :)

No thanks -- "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"  :)

Sorry Bob and Nesivos, I too am of the old school of if it isn't broke don't fix it.

Placing DOS into the same argument just shows how weak the argument is. First it isn't a driver but a program/programming language and second it is outdated and no longer updated or serving the purpose (e.g. its sort of broken).

I have had this system for two years and it is running sweet as a nut and I haven't gone seeking out newer drivers. If I get an issue with a driver, graphics, etc. if confirmed the problem is with the driver then do I seek out new/updated drivers. How many times have you flashed your BIOS as that should follow the same logic.

Programs too have drivers, but I rely on keeping my programs up to date and if that update replaces a driver there has to have been a reason, not just that there is a newer one.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 04:35:49 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nesivos

Re: Version 5.1.864 conflict with Dell 1395 wireless card driver
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2011, 05:18:35 PM »
@Nesivos
@bob3160

See this post:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=68927.msg579118#msg579118

No other changes to my system were needed (or desired); the new Avast version fixed my problem, as I suspected it would.
It's still a good idea to upgrade your driver.  :)

No thanks -- "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"  :)

Why aren't you still using DOS ???

Is this a serious question??? Do you really think an unnecessary driver update is the same as moving to a new operating system? If so, I'm beginning to understand why we aren't communicating -- we see the world in vastly different ways.

Here is a challenge for you: Do you know exactly what got "fixed" in the "updated" driver version you are referring to? In other words, do you really know why you updated? Well, I did a little homework and the 5.x versions of this driver just added support for countries that I don't live in. There is absolutely no reason why I need to install this driver when the one I have works fine (in the USA).

If you and others want to tweak your systems like this, that's entirely up to you. But I don't care for the "evangelists" continuing to try selling me something I don't want. Can we just let this thread die? I started the thread because I had a bug to report, and now that Alwil has fixed the bug I really don't have anything else to say on this topic.

XP was working fine for me.

I still upgraded to Windows 7. :)

Thank you.

Let me tell you about an experience I had with a Realtek audio driver.

I did not notice any problems with my audio.

However, I upgraded to the latest Realteck audio driver and guess what.

The sound quality of the audio improved immensely once I upgraded.

Vendors don't normally upgrade their software unless the upgrade is an improvement.

Maybe you upgrade the Broadcom driver and your wireless connection becomes more secure as a result even though it appears to be working fine without the upgrade.

People who stay with outdated software rather than upgrade do so at their own risk.

In my humble opinion, it is better to stay current rather than keep something old even if you think it is working, unless you can't afford the upgrade which is not the case with the Broadcom wireless driver.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 05:23:39 PM by Nesivos »

Tenko

« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2011, 07:44:49 PM »
I think it's better to update when it's necessary. and thumps up for rwaters. Just to inform you...  This guys knows what he is saying and doing.

Cheers :)

robinb

« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2011, 07:57:24 PM »
I agree, why update drivers if there are no problems now. If you found you were having a problem  with a particular driver, then of course update the drivers.  Sometimes updating the drivers could make it worse not better.  My motto is what works now do not fix!
If an antivirus program or antispyware program caused the problem that is what needs to be fixed- not the driver that has been working for you until you installed an upgrade or update to these programs

robin

2nd base

« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2011, 08:14:56 PM »
Folks should always keep their hardware up to date.

Tenko

« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2011, 08:20:41 PM »
Can we start a new thread with "should we update our hardware driver?" as title and discuss there? I can start it if you want.

Regards
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 09:52:06 PM by Tenko »

2nd base

« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2011, 09:50:50 PM »
Nope. It's common sense. No thread required.

Hermite15

« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2011, 10:17:20 PM »
no need to quote a spam post ::) can you delete the quoted part, it contains links etc...

>>> next time use the report button instead. No need to even comment spam stuff.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 10:19:08 PM by Logos »

bravepuppy

« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2011, 04:24:13 AM »
Very simple solution (that took me only five hours to find online) to this extremely infuriating problem.

Through your control panel enter Avast's uninstall feature. Only instead of uninstall, select "change."

Uncheck (i.e. deactivate) the "Behavior Shield." If I recall, you then have to restart your computer.

Problem solved.

Offline rwaters

« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2011, 05:39:25 AM »
Very simple solution (that took me only five hours to find online) to this extremely infuriating problem.

Through your control panel enter Avast's uninstall feature. Only instead of uninstall, select "change."

Uncheck (i.e. deactivate) the "Behavior Shield." If I recall, you then have to restart your computer.

Problem solved.

Yes, that is the solution if you are running version 5.1.864. This was pretty well documented earlier in this thread.

But if you update to the pre-release version 5.1.874 then you can leave the Behavior Shield installed. Check the following thread, which has download links for the pre-release version.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=68927.0