Author Topic: Comment on Avast 5.1.864 Free  (Read 6744 times)

Offline -Genesis-

Comment on Avast 5.1.864 Free
« on: January 02, 2011, 03:29:19 AM »
I read plenty topic here in forum that the lastest Avast 5.1.864 is still having problem.

I wanna ask you guys if the problem been fixed already?

I wanna update the program in Avast Menu.

I hate removing the old version then installing the new one. I takes plenty of time. Uninstalling - reboot - use uninstall utility - reboot - Install new version - reboot. I hate this kind of steps!

Again is it safe to upgrade the program using Avast Program Update menu?

Btw! upon reading some topic i noticed that some problem needed to manual fix in registry.
Plenty users will mess this kind of steps.

I think best is installing on DEFAULT.
Windows 11 Pro / Windows Defender/
Ryzen 5 1600/ Aorus Gtx 1080Ti Xtreme/ Gskill Trident Z RGB 3000/ Samsung Evo 250GB/ Western Digital Black 1 TB

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Comment on Avast 5.1.864 Free
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 03:50:02 AM »
I read plenty topic here in forum that the lastest Avast 5.1.864 is still having problem.

I wanna ask you guys if the problem been fixed already?

I wanna update the program in Avast Menu.

I hate removing the old version then installing the new one. I takes plenty of time. Uninstalling - reboot - use uninstall utility - reboot - Install new version - reboot. I hate this kind of steps!

Again is it safe to upgrade the program using Avast Program Update menu?

Btw! upon reading some topic i noticed that some problem needed to manual fix in registry.
Plenty users will mess this kind of steps.

I think best is installing on DEFAULT.

The Avast team would not release a version to the public if it wasn't ready (Safe). Having said that, there are no guarentees with any security software, no matter how long it has been out or who the company is. It directly relates to individual OS and configuration of other software programs installed at that time...and previously if not uninstalled properly. :-\

Updating from the GUI has been going well for most of the users. However You have not mentioned what version you have now. If I was using an old old version such as 4.8....you need to uninstall via 'Add and Remove Programs' and then install clean from the latest download link.

Free AV: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe
Pro AV: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_pro.exe
Internet Security: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 03:55:22 AM by schmidthouse »

Offline -Genesis-

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 03:59:59 AM »
I know Avast team will not make it to official release without being tested.

They make a beta forum for testing.

I got your point it relates to different users with different OS, different settings, different software's but if we read in forum 1st day of official release plenty having problems.

In majority still high rates of problems.

So i guess i should pass for about a week.

I hope a week would fix the problem to plenty of users.

Added info.
@schmidthouse, have you look at my sig or info?. The first line.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 04:08:26 AM by chubalz »
Ryzen 5 1600/ Aorus Gtx 1080Ti Xtreme/ Gskill Trident Z RGB 3000/ Samsung Evo 250GB/ Western Digital Black 1 TB

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 04:02:09 AM »
Hi chubalz
I have updated from within AIS 5 (see shot below) on 3 XP machines without any apparent problems.
That said, only one of them was mine and it's not my main PC.
In general, I'm happy to stick with 5.0.677 until any remaining rough edges are ironed out.

Hope that actually helps. :-\
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 04:08:46 AM »
I know Avast team will not make it to official release without being tested.

They make a beta forum for testing.

I got your point it relates to different users with different OS, different settings, different software's but if we read in forum 1st day of official release plenty having problems.

In majority still high rates of problems.

So i guess i should pass for about a week.

I hope a week would fix the problem to plenty of users.

Fair enough, and that's the beauty of being part of the forum. You get a wide range of information and opinions which really helps in making an informed choice. ;)

Gargamel360

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 04:11:26 AM »
In general, I'm happy to stick with 5.0.677 until any remaining rough edges are ironed out.

+1
I have not updated yet.... :-[  ;D  

External HDD on the fritz = No backup = No "Gamma" testing for me.  ;) :-X

Offline -Genesis-

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 04:14:07 AM »
Yep! Its safe not to update yet.

Stick to previous version 5.0.677 :)

sded

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 04:23:07 AM »
Actually version 5.1.864 is having very few problems, but has run into a few issues that just weren't caught by the systems used during beta testing.  I am running a Pro version on w7x64 and a Free version on Vista and W7x64 with no issues.  Given that, though, there is no reason not to delay upgrading a week or two to see what develops-unless you have problems with the .677 version you are using now.  A few things, like Behavior Shield, have had some some significant upgrades that affect certain systems (like w7x64).  In any case you get the same database updates as with the latest version, and can wait and see if any of the new issues found affect you.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 05:36:05 AM by sded »

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 04:34:57 AM »
Actually version 5.1.864 is having very few problems, but has run into a few issues that just weren't caught by the systems used during beta testing.  I am running a Pro version on w7x64 and a Free version on Vista and W7x64 with no issues.  Given that, though, there is no reason not to delay upgrading a week or two to see what develops-unless you have problems with the .677 version you are using npw.  A few things, like Behavior Shield, have had some some significant upgrades that affect certain systems (like w7x64).  In any case you get the same database updates as with the latest version, and can wait and see if any of the new issues found affect you.

Good advice sded. However, there is one thing I feel gets overlooked when we follow problem issues here on the forum, and that is: those thousands (probably way more) of users that don't experience any issues very seldom post on the forum. I mean if you count the number of users having issues and compare that to the majority of Non problem users, I would suggest that a very,very Small Minority of users have issues.
IMHO. :)

sourshade

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 05:34:51 AM »
Kinda the whole point of this forum tho isn't it?, to bring our "problems/issues", get some fast feedback and advice.

Was the new update pushed out before it was properly tested? ;)  A nice Jan. 1st release date and some creative thinking, yea, I can see it being the case.

The amount of bugs alone Ive found only adds to the credibility of that last statement.  Sorry to offend all you Pro-Avast! posters.  The previous versions have all been excellent tho.  And compared to the other garbage out there, I'll pick Avast! 9 times outta 10 its just this 5.1.8 has really done a number on my comp. and its taken alot of my free time to repair it. 

Bit of a shame imo. 

Anyone else bored & wants to crash Avast! 5.1.8. here's an easy way.
Shut down your behavior shield, 10 mins will do.
Load the most recent version of gameguard  *Aion/LineageII
Watch the "AvastSvc.exe - Application Error's" fly.
Reboot & begin again.

Happy New Years

MikeN92

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 05:45:22 AM »
I think I'm doing something wrong. I've been playing with AIS 5.1 and really can't get any bugs out of it :-\ I'm actually thinking of giving @sourshade's plan a go.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 05:59:51 AM »
Actually version 5.1.864 is having very few problems, but has run into a few issues that just weren't caught by the systems used during beta testing.  I am running a Pro version on w7x64 and a Free version on Vista and W7x64 with no issues.  Given that, though, there is no reason not to delay upgrading a week or two to see what develops-unless you have problems with the .677 version you are using now.  A few things, like Behavior Shield, have had some some significant upgrades that affect certain systems (like w7x64).  In any case you get the same database updates as with the latest version, and can wait and see if any of the new issues found affect you.

Well so far I'm okay I had to uninstall the v5.0.677 and clean out the windows register files before I add the new version than I had to redouble check for left overs, and finally the latest v5.1.864 is working again and no freezing up problem so far..........phew! I don't fully understand why can't the Avast program update wouldn't work properly during the update installation ??? ??? Avast you're scaring the crap out of me on New Year Days :o
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

marc-d-l

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 07:00:58 AM »
5.1.864 works great (so far)on my pc running vista.I downloaded over .677 and no problems.
Did the same with my pc with xp pro.That was a bundle of problems.It kept freezing, of course avast was the last thing I tought of.After working for hours I uninstalled and reinstalled from fresh.It now works really well.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 04:53:25 PM »
5.1.864 works great (so far)on my pc running vista.I downloaded over .677 and no problems.
Did the same with my pc with xp pro.That was a bundle of problems.It kept freezing, of course avast was the last thing I tought of.After working for hours I uninstalled and reinstalled from fresh.It now works really well.

Glad to here that!

It is true, some users had problems when installing over previous versions,and alot didn't including myself (for the most part).There was one beta that caused me issues, so I uninstalled the program via 'Add and Remove', then ran aswClear.exe in safe mode. And I always, always run CCleaner and a Disk Defrag before installing any new software from scratch. When I reinstalled the beta from the installer provided and made sure to reboot a second time everything worked fine.
There are many of the users that recommended uninstalling previous beta and installing the new one from scratch,and for them it worked.
Yes, for a beta program, it did seem a bit rocky at times and I certainly understand the frustration that some of the testers felt (and expressed) but hey "the choice was there" to participate or not, and I know alot of them opted out, and that's okay. I have no doubt that in a week or two, many of them will reinstall and have no issues. :)