Author Topic: Cannot move viruses to virus chest.  (Read 3407 times)

NinjaDude007

Cannot move viruses to virus chest.
« on: January 02, 2011, 09:32:21 AM »
I just ran a virus scan and found several viruses. I tried moving them to the virus chest but when I did it gave me an error message reading "Virus chest server is not running. RPC communication failed. (2147422219)"

I was able to delete a few of the viruses, but I'm wary of deleting the rest due to the locations of the files- four located in the System Volume Information and one in a system32 file.

I recently had to uninstall/reinstall Avast because it wouldn't update. I tried to repair it through Add/remove programs. I'm running it on XP. I hope somewhere in this post is enough information to get this solved. Thanks.

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
Re: Cannot move viruses to virus chest.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 01:24:08 PM »
I just ran a virus scan and found several viruses. I tried moving them to the virus chest but when I did it gave me an error message reading "Virus chest server is not running. RPC communication failed. (2147422219)"

I was able to delete a few of the viruses, but I'm wary of deleting the rest due to the locations of the files- four located in the System Volume Information and one in a system32 file.

I recently had to uninstall/reinstall Avast because it wouldn't update. I tried to repair it through Add/remove programs. I'm running it on XP. I hope somewhere in this post is enough information to get this solved. Thanks.

so first of all turn off system restore and reboot
then run scan with malwarebytes (http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php) and quarantine founded infections.
if you cannot update avast download update manually here http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/vpsupd.exe

then you can shedule boot-time scan with avast
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 01:27:59 PM by danny96 »
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10

NinjaDude007

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 01:29:13 PM »
I feel like an idiot but... how do I turn off system restore?

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 01:33:18 PM »
I feel like an idiot but... how do I turn off system restore?
Eh, I forget where it is (i'm running win7) :)
so you will need download ccleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download)
go to tools > system restore and delete the newest restore points (or date of the point when you get infected) if this won't help delete them all )
then reboot and follow next step... (malwarebytes scan)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 01:37:17 PM by danny96 »
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10