Author Topic: v.4.8 - Vague Predictions  (Read 1973 times)

kb-r

v.4.8 - Vague Predictions
« on: January 02, 2011, 12:10:56 PM »
Good morning.

There are many posts containing statements like, "...v.4.8 will no longer be supported", (and the less frequent "...will not be updated").

But I cannot find any attempt to explain the meaning of these phrases, nor any definitive policy statement from Alwil.

So the many references to a cessation of "support" or "update" are merely vague rumblings of doom, which, without even an attempt to define what will actually happen - or even when 'it' will happen - are of little or no value.

For example, does  "...will no longer be supported" mean that from some as yet unspecified date, any remaining v.4.8 installations will be frozen in their final state, becoming more and more out of date with each passing day?

Or does it merely mean that technical support will not be available, but that virus definitions will continue to be updated? (As it does in the case of, e.g., Antivir v.8 and v.9, which also receive updates to their scanning engines, and keep many people with older machines and/or OSs happy.)

Regards,
kb-r

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: v.4.8 - Vague Predictions
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 12:59:53 PM »
For example, does  "...will no longer be supported" mean that from some as yet unspecified date, any remaining v.4.8 installations will be frozen in their final state, becoming more and more out of date with each passing day?

Yes.

kb-r

Re: v.4.8 - Vague Predictions
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 01:56:52 PM »

Yes.

Thank you: accepting that the label, "avast! team" confers authority, I'll regard that as a definitive statement.

For myself, I'm quite happy with v.5.x, but I sympathise with those about to be deprived.

Cheers,
kb-r