Author Topic: A question about the removal tool  (Read 3537 times)

EagleGhost

A question about the removal tool
« on: January 02, 2011, 01:44:52 PM »
Hi! Do I have to run the Avast removal tool in a Safe Mode or in a Normal Mode? Thanks in advance!

Offline superhacker

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • superhacker != super mario
Re: A question about the removal tool
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 02:35:20 PM »
You dont need to run avast removal tool if you dont have problems with avast normal un-installation.
Any way you can run avast removal tool in normal mode if you disable avast self protection otherwise you have to run it in safe mode.
Disabling avast self protection:
From avast GUI click settings->Troubleshooting->un tick "enable avast! self defense module"
Dreams don't die, they just fall asleep.

Tenko

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 02:54:41 PM »
Hi! Do I have to run the Avast removal tool in a Safe Mode or in a Normal Mode? Thanks in advance!

Hey and warm welcome!

I just want you to know that removal tools are only needed if you cant use windows uninstaller.

Regards,
              Tenko
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 03:24:28 PM by Tenko »

EagleGhost

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 05:39:41 PM »
I want to use the removal tool, because if I install 5.1.864 upon to 5.0.677 I will have some serious problems. I have understood, that I can avoid these problems by uninstalling 5.0.864 and installing 5.1.677 from a scratch.

Anyway, does the removal tool remove something, what the normal Windows uninstaller doesn't (I mean the folders and the registry entries)?

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 06:38:36 PM »
I want to use the removal tool, because if I install 5.1.864 upon to 5.0.677 I will have some serious problems. I have understood, that I can avoid these problems by uninstalling 5.0.864 and installing 5.1.677 from a scratch.

Anyway, does the removal tool remove something, what the normal Windows uninstaller doesn't (I mean the folders and the registry entries)?

Confirmed by an earlier post from 'Tech' that Yes, there are some items (remnants)that are left when uninstalling via 'Add and Remove Programs' that are removed by aswClear.exe when run in Safe Mode. :)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 06:41:31 PM by schmidthouse »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 06:53:29 PM »
Yes.
But, generally, the leftovers do not avoid a clean installation of the new version.
The best things in life are free.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 07:00:25 PM »
Yes.
But, generally, the leftovers do not avoid a clean installation of the new version.

My appoligies, I just read this reply 'after' message. :-\ ;D