Author Topic: Which version of Avast is REALLY right for me?  (Read 2924 times)

Jdonz94

Which version of Avast is REALLY right for me?
« on: January 02, 2011, 08:40:48 PM »
Okay, so I know a that basically when you move from free to pro, all you gain is the sandbox. Then from there, you gain the firewall and anti-spam.
I'd like to think I'm an advanced user, so I have a fair deal of common sense regarding safety, so I am not really sure why I would want the Avast firewall over Windows firewall, and   on top of that, Gmail has built in anti-spam, so I really don't need that. Honestly, it doesn't seem like one would really need Avast Pro, or Internet security, unless they were lacking anti-spam and common sense. So let me know what you think. Because I think we can all agree that computer safety is key. Thanks guys!

vecchio

Re: Which version of Avast is REALLY right for me?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 08:48:05 PM »
Personaly I use ais And yes i dont need the antispam but i like the firewall(better than windowsfirewal
Also i love the internet security struture in general
Ais also have the new bs(behaveor)shild,an inportant module

So i would like to sugest to you to use avast internet security

sded

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 09:38:23 PM »
Which Windows version are you using?  W7 actually has a very versatile firewall if you want to play with it.  Or not-my wife uses that with Avast! Free because she doesn't want to play with a firewall.  AIS is also a "silent firewall" that gives you more convenient controls than even the W7 firewall, but doesn't really require a lot of attention.  I have used and like it, prefer a firewall with a HIPS so use OA most of the time.  Haven't tried the anti-spam, but since even my ISP outsourced to Google mail don't feel the need for another one.  A sandbox like in Pro can be very useful if you deal with a lot of unknown files, and is in a sense an alternate to a HIPS that lets you make your decisions after you see what happens.  Pro even has a script shield for guarding against malicious website script execution.  After saying all that, I actually have AIS running in Pro mode and don't often use the firewall or the sandbox.

Jdonz94

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 09:42:24 PM »
Personaly I use ais And yes i dont need the antispam but i like the firewall(better than windowsfirewal
Also i love the internet security struture in general
Ais also have the new bs(behaveor)shild,an inportant module

So i would like to sugest to you to use avast internet security

I am quite sure that the layout is the same in the free version, being I have tried both. And yes the firewall is very good, but why would I ever really need that? Again, with all the real time protection, there really are like 8 firewalls anyway in the free version, and all the real time shields are identical regardless of version. I have looked.

Jdonz94

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 09:44:45 PM »
Which Windows version are you using?  W7 actually has a very versatile firewall if you want to play with it.  Or not-my wife uses that with Avast! Free because she doesn't want to play with a firewall.  AIS is also a "silent firewall" that gives you more convenient controls than even the W7 firewall, but doesn't really require a lot of attention.  I have used and like it, prefer a firewall with a HIPS so use OA most of the time.  Haven't tried the anti-spam, but since even my ISP outsourced to Google mail don't feel the need for another one.  A sandbox like in Pro can be very useful if you deal with a lot of unknown files, and is in a sense an alternate to a HIPS that lets you make your decisions after you see what happens.  Pro even has a script shield for guarding against malicious website script execution.  After saying all that, I actually have AIS running in Pro mode and don't often use the firewall or the sandbox.
That makes sense, however, would you really say it is worth the money?

miscreant

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 09:57:07 PM »
Personally i like the sandbox and the firewall in AIS so i would say yes its worth it.The anti spam concept in these security suites is just plain rubbish ,and i honestly dont know why any AV vendor puts in an antispam module.Does anyone really use it ?.If you do then you probably dont know anything about  spam as there are much better ways/programs of eliminating spam than the crappy security suite attempts.But,,the firewall and sandbox make it worth it for me.Plus the knowledge that im giving something back after taking for so long ;)
m

sded

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 10:00:07 PM »
I think it is generally worth the money in the sense that eventually you will run into situations where you want a little more control of what is going on or want to be certain you are doing the right thing.  At the very least it is a learning experience to see what is really going on in your system and how the AIS firewall is reacting to them.  And whether you might want to do more.  A firewall really worries about allowed/blocked connections, IPs, ports, and protocols for your processes.  An AV is more worried about the content of your connections, whether by examining the data or looking at things like whitelists for specific connections.  Both provide protection as well as useful information, but really at a different level.  You might want to get a free 30 day trial version of AIS to help decide http://www.avast.com/internet-security#tab3 .
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 11:18:19 PM by sded »

CharleyO

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 09:08:02 AM »

Okay, so I know a that basically when you move from free to pro, all you gain is the sandbox. Then from there, you gain the firewall and anti-spam.

Well, that is not exactly true. See the link below and scroll down to see the real differences.

http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download#tab3