Author Topic: Online Armor install crashed computer  (Read 5033 times)

Oxa

Online Armor install crashed computer
« on: January 11, 2011, 03:14:01 AM »
I had Avast Version 5.0.677 on my computer. I tried installing the latest version via the "Update Program" link in the software. I don't know what version it tried to install on my computer, but did it ever screw things up! My computer froze on starting, and I had to do a system restore. Even then, I couldn't get Avast to start, and had to uninstall it. Win XP SP3

I am not the only one experiencing this problem. There may be a problem with the interaction of Avast and Online Armor. There's a thread on the OA support forum describing the same problem:
http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/3275-oa-free-avast-free-problem/page__gopid__18789#entry18789

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Online Armor install crashed computer
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 03:33:27 AM »
I had Avast Version 5.0.677 on my computer. I tried installing the latest version via the "Update Program" link in the software. I don't know what version it tried to install on my computer, but did it ever screw things up! My computer froze on starting, and I had to do a system restore. Even then, I couldn't get Avast to start, and had to uninstall it. Win XP SP3

I am not the only one experiencing this problem. There may be a problem with the interaction of Avast and Online Armor. There's a thread on the OA support forum describing the same problem:
http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/3275-oa-free-avast-free-problem/page__gopid__18789#entry18789

Sorry to hear your having issues. I've run OA++ with every version of Avast and never experienced any issues.
Make sure you have each others folder mutually excluded.(OA excluded in Avast File System Shield and Avast excluded in OA)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 03:35:31 AM by schmidthouse »

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 03:43:36 AM »
Oxa,

ZoneAlarm is an excellent trouble free firewall that's very user friendly. ;)

Works great with avast!. :)

http://www.filehippo.com/download_zonealarm_free/

I don't know which is more buggy OA fw or PC Tools fw. ::)

Oxa

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 03:47:13 AM »
According to the blurb on the Avast Exclusion tab, excluding a program excludes it only from on-demand scans. I don't understand why excluding OA from Avast on-demand scans would help with the installation of a new version of Avast.

ZoneAlarm is an excellent trouble free firewall that's very user friendly.

ZoneAlarm is a horrible firewall that comes out at the bottom of every test I've ever seen, and it does not have the HIPs features of OA. I'm using OA++, by the way.

Gargamel360

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 04:09:59 AM »
Off-topic, but your email is showing public, oxa.
You can hide it from public through the forum profile settings.

Oxa

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 04:21:49 AM »
Thanks for letting me know. I thought I'd fixed that a long time ago...

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 05:19:41 AM »
Hi Oxa, when you place the exclusion for OA please do them in the (file system shield/expert seting's/exclusion's), if your seeing the on demand blurb your in setting's which is the wrong area.
I agree that zone alarm is rubbish and seem's to have it's own bunch of problem's when running with avast, not recomended.
There has also been another pre release build of avast 5.1.884 if you wish to try http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=69152.0
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 05:25:47 AM by craigb »

Oxa

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 05:29:12 AM »
Thanks for the tip! For now, I think I'm going to leave things as they are. Avast 5.0.677, which I now have installed, has worked fine with OA for several months. In fact, Avast and OA have co-existed happily on my computer for 3-4 years. It was only when trying to install 5.1.x that a problem occurred. But now I know where to make the exclusion of OA, if I decide to do that.

penshooter

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 05:32:43 AM »
I still use Online Armor 4.0.0.45 Free with Avast, XP SP3.
I didn't really like the newer OA so I changed it back to this version.
What I like from OA is its program guard. Easier to manage than Comodo (for me)  :)
PrivateFirewall is an alternative although its HIPS is not as good as OA in my opinion  :)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 05:33:38 AM »
Forgot to mention that there will be a new stable release out very soon, hopefully today or tomorrow :)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 05:51:34 AM »
I still use Online Armor 4.0.0.45 Free with Avast, XP SP3.
I didn't really like the newer OA so I changed it back to this version.
What I like from OA is its program guard. Easier to manage than Comodo (for me)  :)
PrivateFirewall is an alternative although its HIPS is not as good as OA in my opinion  :)
There were numerous improvement's from your version of OA to the current in performance and security and i cant see what your post does to help the op in anyway, shape or form.