Author Topic: Problems with "wltrysvc.exe" & "bcmwltry.exe" after 5.1.864 Update - DELL users  (Read 22827 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Have both of you tried what was suggested by NON, uninstall the behaviour shield element ?
Windows add remove programs, Avast xxx, click the Change/Remove button, click the Change section from the new window and uncheck the Behaviour Shield entry, OK your way out and reboot.

i hope you only mean this as a temp fix and not leaving dell users semi protected.

Of course it is temporary, what other choice do you have if you can't use your wireless lan. The behaviour shield is currently only working in passive mode as it gathers data on the any suspect behaviour and passes that bask to avast so that the rules and filters can be tweaked to try and reduce false detections. So it isn't currently providing the same kind of protection as the rest of the resident shield which should still do their job.

Why when it is in passive mode there is this kind interaction is beyond me as an avast user, but whilst the developers are working on a resolution, this suggestion may well allow you to at least proceed. Some have set it to Ask rather than the default of Allow and that is a possible area where if there isn't a response whatever it might be, then that device might not start.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 05:29:10 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline rwaters

Re: Problems with "wltrysvc.exe" & "bcmwltry.exe" after 5.1.864 Update
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 05:30:55 AM »
@c0ldy
It seems your app crashes are the same issues (0xC000005) that I had during beta testing.
Unfortunately I have to say this issue may need program update to fix. :(
I think uninstalling (not stopping) Behavior Shield solves your issue temporarily (but I'm not sure, sorry).
And please upload these EXE files to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming, this helps developers to solve this.

The two files on my system are wltray.exe and wltrysvc.exe. I have uploaded them both to the FTP server as requested.

coldy

I've just uploaded BCMWLTRY.exe

I hope this gonna help.

Nesivos

Hello guys, today I have updated Avast Free Edition directly via the program (not from scratch).

Then some bugs happened and apparently, just by looking the other forum threads I think that you released a buggy version of your program :D

First I should describe my configuration :

- Dell Studio 1537
- Windows Vista SP1 32 bits
- Core2Duo T5800 2 GHz
- 3 GB RAM
- ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series

You have some really old software like Windows 7 Beta2
The HD 3400 Series is also old.

My point is that you might also have really old "drivers" on your computer.

For sure running W7 B2 you are at risk security wise.

I have a Dell 570MT W7x64 HP with a Radeon 4200.  

I have had no problems with AIS or any other programs after updating from 5.0.6xx to 5.1.864 using the GUI.

Windows is up to date and even though I purchased the computer last month I had to update the drivers.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 05:57:15 PM by Nesivos »

Offline rwaters

Hello guys, today I have updated Avast Free Edition directly via the program (not from scratch).

Then some bugs happened and apparently, just by looking the other forum threads I think that you released a buggy version of your program :D

First I should describe my configuration :

- Dell Studio 1537
- Windows Vista SP1 32 bits
- Core2Duo T5800 2 GHz
- 3 GB RAM
- ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series

You have some really old software like Windows 7 Beta2
The HD 3400 Series is also old.

My point is that you might also have really old "drivers" on your computer.

For sure running W7 B2 you are at risk security wise.

I have a Dell 570MT W7x64 HP with a Radeon 4200.  

I have had no problems with AIS or any other programs after updating from 5.0.6xx to 5.1.864 using the GUI.

Windows is up to date and even though I purchased the computer last month I had to update the drivers.

If you have had no problems then that's great. But I have a Dell laptop that is fully patched with all of the latest drivers and can attest that there are indeed reproducible problems with some Dell machines.

While some are quick to blame drivers when people have problems with a new software version, it should be noted that systems that coexisted peacefully with the former 5.0.677 version do not with the new 5.1.864 version. It's not unreasonable to suspect that something is wrong with the new version, especially when other users are reporting the same issue.

Note also that the bug that has been reported affects the Dell (Broadcom) wireless cards. What wireless card do you have in your system? If you don't have the same card that we do, then you likely won't experience this problem.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 06:36:01 PM by rwaters »

coldy

If you have had no problems then that's great. But I have a Dell laptop that is fully patched with all of the latest drivers and can attest that there are indeed reproducible problems with some Dell machines.

While some are quick to blame drivers when people have problems with a new software version, it should be noted that systems that coexisted peacefully with the former 5.0.677 version do not with the new 5.1.864 version. It's not unreasonable to suspect that something is wrong with the new version, especially when other users are reporting the same issue.

Note also that the bug that has been reported affects the Dell (Broadcom) wireless cards. What wireless card do you have in your system? If you don't have the same card that we do, then you likely won't experience this problem.

Totally agree with you.

I hate the guys "First, update/upgrade all your hardware and software then the problem will be fixed" (like Nesivos apparently).

This kind of people should understand that if a system is running peacefully but experiences some troubles just after a local update of a specific program, this doesn't mean the whole system is fucked up.

And by the way Nesivos, I'm not running W7 B2 but Vista SP1. So at least, make an effort of re-writing before trolling.

And to conclude, apparently you don't have a broadcom card, so you it's "normal" than you are not experiencing any trouble. Good for you.

Tenko

here is the solution it seems:

If it is related to the behaviour shield (which is a possibility) then removing it should resolve the conflict. This should allow you to use the wireless lan, I don't know that for certain as A) I don't have a Dell and B) I don't know if your situation matches those others that have found removing the behaviour shield worked for them.

One thing for sure it won't do any harm and hopefully when this problem is resolved you can reverse the process.

Have nice day

Regards,
              Tenko

Offline rwaters

here is the solution it seems:

If it is related to the behaviour shield (which is a possibility) then removing it should resolve the conflict. This should allow you to use the wireless lan, I don't know that for certain as A) I don't have a Dell and B) I don't know if your situation matches those others that have found removing the behaviour shield worked for them.

One thing for sure it won't do any harm and hopefully when this problem is resolved you can reverse the process.

Have nice day

Regards,
              Tenko

This workaround will eliminate the conflict with the Dell Broadcom-based wireless card that I have (the 1395) and will probably work for the other Broadcom cards. But it's important to note that you must UNINSTALL the Behavior Shield through the Control Panel (not just disable the shield through the GUI) for this to work. I tried simply disabling the Behavior Shield and this did not fix the problem.

acuariano

as a dell user i'm having a problem too but with free version "unsecure" alert.
i tried most recomndations but nothing.
btw i open my own thread

vijaymails

Hi
i am using Dell inspiron 1545 with Vista home premium, sometimes after boot up my laptop, there is a pop-up of MSW :
"Dell Wireless WLAN Card Wireless Network Controller stopped working and was closed. A problem caused the application to stop working correctly. Windows will notify you if a solution is available".
and i am using Avast Anti virus in my laptop
[/color]

The system working  normally but that window i am unable to close.
ALL Applications in Laptop are fine.
Please find me the solution.(Is it similar solution what David dimensioned)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Hi
i am using Dell inspiron 1545 with Vista home premium, sometimes after boot up my laptop, there is a pop-up of MSW :
"Dell Wireless WLAN Card Wireless Network Controller stopped working and was closed. A problem caused the application to stop working correctly. Windows will notify you if a solution is available".
and i am using Avast Anti virus in my laptop
[/color]

The system working  normally but that window i am unable to close.
ALL Applications in Laptop are fine.
Please find me the solution.(Is it similar solution what David dimensioned)

I already answered in your other thread...!!!
Please don't post your issue over and over again. Thanks.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0