Author Topic: [Resolved] Almost fixed!  (Read 3716 times)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
[Resolved] Almost fixed!
« on: January 02, 2011, 09:25:15 PM »
Since .864 is out it is no longer a beta version. I did a complete uninstall then a clean install of.864 and still had problems. I never did see what was going on. Software did not load (control panel). Did a system restore, using 5.0.677 again. Yes, I used CCleaner and ARO so I know my registry is clean. I do have an Acer Aspire 4520 laptop. Is it my pc or worse yet, me, or what? Or am I the only one having problems?    Help!!!   My bad. After I did the system restore the set-up file for 5.0.677 magically appeared on my laptop. Can I "upgrade" to 5.1.864 from the UI? Or how do I get rid of the old set-up file? I'm thinking the old set-up file might be causing the problem. Is this possible?
I never have gotten to the place to do a repair on .864 my pc keeps acting up to the point of a necessary system restore. Everyone raves about .864...now I want to.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 03:55:53 AM by Para-Noid »
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Almost fixed!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
Since .864 is out it is no longer a beta version. I did a complete uninstall then a clean install of.864 and still had problems. I never did see what was going on. Software did not load (control panel). Did a system restore, using 5.0.677 again. Yes, I used CCleaner and ARO so I know my registry is clean. I do have an Acer Aspire 4520 laptop. Is it my pc or worse yet, me, or what? Or am I the only one having problems?    Help!!!

It's a bummer you are having such a time with the latest version. I suspect you have been asked this( can't recall if I did)but please tell me if you used aswClear.exe (Clean up Utility)separately for each version of Avast you have had installed in the past IN SAFE MODE??
If you did accept my appologies for asking again. :-\
It just has been my experience, that running the tool in Mormal Mode has never worked for me on XPSP3.
It has only been effective in 'Safe Mode'...for me...I'm just saying ;)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 09:45:13 PM »
Since .864 is out it is no longer a beta version. I did a complete uninstall then a clean install of.864 and still had problems. I never did see what was going on. Software did not load (control panel). Did a system restore, using 5.0.677 again. Yes, I used CCleaner and ARO so I know my registry is clean. I do have an Acer Aspire 4520 laptop. Is it my pc or worse yet, me, or what? Or am I the only one having problems?    Help!!!

It's a bummer you are having such a time with the latest version. I suspect you have been asked this( can't recall if I did)but please tell me if you used aswClear.exe (Clean up Utility)separately for each version of Avast you have had installed in the past IN SAFE MODE??
It just has been my experience, that running the tool in Mormal Mode has never worked for me on XPSP3.
No. I did modify my post. Please re-read it. I will try aswcleaner.exe.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 10:02:48 PM »

No. I did modify my post. Please re-read it. I will try aswcleaner.exe.

If you havn't already please follow these instructions carefully.

Download the latest version of Avast (5.1.864) for the product you need and save it to your HDD:          

Free AV: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe
Pro AV: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_pro.exe
Internet Security: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe
Then download the Avast Clean up Utility http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your hard drive where you can access it easily.
Please go to Start/Control Panel/Add and Remove Programs and choose Avast and click Remove and then Uninstall. Once the uninstall process is completed, Reboot your computer and when up and running in normal mode, Reboot again into 'Safe Mode' and find the (aswClear v5) download you saved to your hard drive and run the Clean up tool. Make sure you first choose the version you want to cleanup and then run the tool, your computer will automatically reboot. Once up and running in Normal Mode, Install the latest version of Avast you saved to your hard drive and Walla! All should be fine. Please remember you need to choose the version in the Clean up tool that you have had installed on your system. If you have had both v.4 and v.5 installed, then you need to follow the ‘safe mode’ process twice; once for each version separately.
If you have any problems please feel free to let us know. :)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 10:04:28 PM by schmidthouse »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 12:51:45 AM »
My pc would not allow me to do anything in safe mode. So...I went back to 5.0.677. I did receive a windows message
"ordinal 5070 could not be located in the dynamic link library". Did a Google search. Got lost in a hurry. Could this be an "administrator" error message? I did e-mail VLK the other day. It might be a while before he gets back to me. I will just be very patient. VLK has been very, very busy lately...let him sleep and rest-up. Don't be afraid to pm me. I have tried to update using the UI. Did not work. I am still getting an "ePower DMC has stopped" mssg. Now I'm getting a "ordinal 14850 could not be found in the DLL". And something about the "DEP". I'm too chicken to do anything about that. Going back to 5.0.677.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 01:56:50 AM by Para-Noid »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 03:55:07 AM »
Never mind I now have and I am using 5.1.874.
Thanks for all of your help.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 04:04:32 AM »
Never mind I now have and I am using 5.1.874.
Thanks for all of your help.

You're welcome. Glad to see the new build is working for you. :)