Author Topic: Which version of Avast is best suited for me?  (Read 7848 times)

Jdonz94

Which version of Avast is best suited for me?
« on: January 03, 2011, 12:26:33 AM »
I use the internet to watch movies and for YouTube and Email purposes(Gmail has it's own anti-spam), and I play full games like Mass Effect 2 and Batman: Arkham Asylum (So the games don't require an internet connection). I was just wondering, for a kid who has very limited money, and needs to buy a car and such, is it really necessary for me to upgrade from Avast free? I am doing fine with it for now, but then again, a two year license for 20 dollars does sound very nice. Let me know what you guys think. I really appreciate it guys!

Gargamel360

Re: Which version of Avast is best suited for me?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 12:54:06 AM »
Car Vs. Paid Avast!, Car>>FTW. 

It is great as a free product or paid, but in the face of a tight budget, (and not a lot of online financial activity), stick with the free version.  The only thing I would consider important to PC security that Avast! Free doesn't have is a 2 way firewall, and there are free offerings for those, or if you have a newer OS than XP, you could just turn on outbound protection of Windows firewall.

Get yourself some wheels!!
(unless you live in NewYork or something, where cars are more hassle than they are worth.)

MikeN92

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 12:55:23 AM »
I use the internet to watch movies and for YouTube and Email purposes(Gmail has it's own anti-spam), and I play full games like Mass Effect 2 and Batman: Arkham Asylum (So the games don't require an internet connection). I was just wondering, for a kid who has very limited money, and needs to buy a car and such, is it really necessary for me to upgrade from Avast free? I am doing fine with it for now, but then again, a two year license for 20 dollars does sound very nice. Let me know what you guys think. I really appreciate it guys!

If you are saying avast free never failed you in the past then I guess you answered your own question.http://www.avast.com/comparison-chart#tab2
If you are keeping avast free don't forget to use a firewall.If you are using Windows 7 the windows firewall is good, if not you should try Online Armor, Outpost, etc.

sded

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 12:58:41 AM »
If I were in your situation I would spend the $20 on beer.  But don't take this as official recommendation!  ;)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 01:01:07 AM by sded »

Jdonz94

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 01:03:24 AM »
Car Vs. Paid Avast!, Car>>FTW. 

It is great as a free product or paid, but in the face of a tight budget, (and not a lot of online financial activity), stick with the free version.  The only thing I would consider important to PC security that Avast! Free doesn't have is a 2 way firewall, and there are free offerings for those, or if you have a newer OS than XP, you could just turn on outbound protection of Windows firewall.

Get yourself some wheels!!
(unless you live in NewYork or something, where cars are more hassle than they are worth.)
You have a pretty good point, I really need to prioritize. And I have Windows 7, so it isn't like I can't just keep that going for me. There really is no point in Internet Security for me I suppose then.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 01:06:07 AM »
I don't know where you can get a legitimate two year license for 20 dollars, when a single one year avast Pro license would be close to twice that ?

So I would be suspicious of that, unless this is some sort of avast offer
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jdonz94

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 01:10:40 AM »
I don't know where you can get a legitimate two year license for 20 dollars, when a single one year avast Pro license would be close to twice that ?

So I would be suspicious of that, unless this is some sort of avast offer
In the free version, when you go to register, they offer to take $25 off the price and give you a single two year license for $19.99. It's legitimate.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 01:27:38 AM »
OK, I don't see that in my avast free version, which stood the test of time over almost 7 years ;D

So now all you have to decide is what are your needs and level of protection you require. For many years, the free version of avast has been the strongest competitor to avast Pro.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jdonz94

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 02:31:31 AM »
OK, I don't see that in my avast free version, which stood the test of time over almost 7 years ;D

So now all you have to decide is what are your needs and level of protection you require. For many years, the free version of avast has been the strongest competitor to avast Pro.
You have to actually be installing Avast free, because when you go to register, they will try to get you to buy the Internet Security license on the spot, and they give you that offer.
And yeah, I will agree, I don't see why I would upgrade, the free edition is pretty solid on it's own.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 03:04:40 AM »
I did do a clean install after I completed the beta testing phase, but I didn't notice any specific offer.