Author Topic: Avast Update caused an error on my computer  (Read 7448 times)

phzombie

Avast Update caused an error on my computer
« on: January 03, 2011, 04:21:53 AM »
I recently updated my Avast! software (I use Avast Internet Security) and am now receiving a recurring pop-up message from Microsoft Windows informing me that my 'WLAN Card Wireless Network Controller stopped working and was closed'. I apparently still have an internet connection, but this error message will not go away even after I installed the updated driver for my wireless card. What's wrong?

SafeSurf

Re: Avast Update caused an error on my computer
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 04:49:55 AM »
What version of Avast did you have and what version did you upgrade to?

phzombie

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 06:08:26 AM »
What version of Avast did you have and what version did you upgrade to?

I'm currently using Avast! Internet Security version 5.1.864. I just updated it like I normally do--this problem has never happened before.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 07:51:26 AM »
Did you reboot?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

phzombie

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 10:41:35 AM »
Did you reboot?

Yes, a few times. The message pops up as soon as I reboot and keeps popping up for quite some time.

boatracer39

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 10:44:42 PM »
I have a similar problem ! I have had Avast for years with no problem,as soon as I updated to the newest version ,I can no longer sign on to AOL. As soo as I uninstall Avast the problen is fixed !

phzombie

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 04:35:21 AM »
I'd really like to know what's up. or if other problems might potentially happen... I used the free version of Avast! for a year and really liked it, so I shelled out for Internet Security about a week ago. I'd hate to have to uninstall it because it's causing problems on my machine.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 04:40:57 AM »
Are all of you reporting this problem in this topic using Dells ?
Does it relate to Dell Wireless WLAN Card ?

If so there are a couple of topics about this already, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=68702.0 for one.

Have both of you tried what was suggested in the above topic by NON, uninstall the behaviour shield element ?
Windows add remove programs, Avast xxx, click the Change/Remove button, click the Change section from the new window and uncheck the Behaviour Shield entry, OK your way out and reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

phzombie

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 04:45:19 AM »
Are all of you reporting this problem in this topic using Dells ?
Does it relate to Dell Wireless WLAN Card ?

If so there are a couple of topics about this already, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=68702.0 for one.

Have both of you tried what was suggested in the above topic by NON, uninstall the behaviour shield element ?
Windows add remove programs, Avast xxx, click the Change/Remove button, click the Change section from the new window and uncheck the Behaviour Shield entry, OK your way out and reboot.

Yes, I am using a Dell Inspiron 546. Should I just remove the Behavior Shield then? What will that change/affect?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 05:18:04 AM »
If it is related to the behaviour shield (which is a possibility) then removing it should resolve the conflict. This should allow you to use the wireless lan, I don't know that for certain as A) I don't have a Dell and B) I don't know if your situation matches those others that have found removing the behaviour shield worked for them.

One thing for sure it won't do any harm and hopefully when this problem is resolved you can reverse the process.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

phzombie

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 06:16:47 AM »
If it is related to the behaviour shield (which is a possibility) then removing it should resolve the conflict. This should allow you to use the wireless lan, I don't know that for certain as A) I don't have a Dell and B) I don't know if your situation matches those others that have found removing the behaviour shield worked for them.

One thing for sure it won't do any harm and hopefully when this problem is resolved you can reverse the process.

Okay! Thanks for the advice.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 03:23:21 PM »
You're welcome, let us know if it does work for you as a temporary workaround.

phzombie

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 08:20:47 PM »
Yes, it worked. Thanks. Is it okay to leave it uninstalled for a while, at least until a permanent solution is found?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 09:13:26 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, yes it is OK to leave it that way until the permanent solution is released, hopefully that will be soon.