Author Topic: What do you think?  (Read 11114 times)

Sojourner

What do you think?
« on: August 25, 2004, 04:23:06 PM »
"For a very limited time, we are offering our Cloudeight Email Backup Guardian for Outlook Express at a very special price! This sale will last 72 hours only and begins today, Wednesday,August25,2004.If you use OutlookExpress for your email, you won't want to miss this special offer! You'll save over 30% off the regular price. Remember this sale lasts for 72 hours only, so hurry and order your copy of Cloudeight Email Backup Guardian today!

Email Backup Guardian downloadable version is normally $21.95. But, during this special offer period you can get Email Backup Guardian for only $15.00 through Saturday, August 28, 2004. Or, for more savings, get the downloadable PLUS an Email Backup Guardian CDROM for only $20.00!Click here now and get a great program.

I think there is a better way to present this info.-but I don't know how- I helped test this program; check it out! :)

« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 04:52:16 PM by Sojourner »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 04:45:50 PM »
On THIS WEBSITE you can see what files contain the data of Outlook (express). Real easy to back them up manually.

Sojourner

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 02:44:04 AM »
On THIS WEBSITE you can see what files contain the data of Outlook (express). Real easy to back them up manually.

This backup program has a scheduler so you can forget about it until suddenly you need it --- useful for those that use emails in their work and can't afford to lose them --- not for everybody.  :)

inthewildteam

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 02:51:00 AM »
Is this within the terms of the forum?

do not post any spam or announcement of commercial software/service if you are author or provider of such service

inthewildteam

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 03:13:08 AM »
Further to this, i include this from Cloudeight's t&c

subscription based newsletter.

Third Party Advertising Privacy Policy

We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our Web site. Our third-party advertising company also separately places or recognizes a cookie file on your browser in the course of delivering advertisements to this Site. These companies may use information (not including your name, address email address or telephone number) about your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, please click the links below.

Cloudeight works with third parties that serve ads to this site.

To find out how Burstmedia manages the privacy of information in conjunction with serving ads on this site, please go to http://www.burstmedia.com/release/privacy.asp

To find out more about how FastClick manages the privacy of information in conjunction with serving ads on this site, please go to http://www.fastclick.com/about/privacy2.html

To find out more about how Google manages the privacy of information in conjunction with serving advertisements on this site, please see: http://www.google.com/privacy.html

Cloudeight Site Partners Privacy Policy

When visiting our partner site, FreeCD-Software , or when ordering from them: Privacy Policy can be found by viewing their Privacy Policy .

Advertising Disclaimer

Cloudeight Internet LLC is not responsible for the content of any site linked to or from the Site. Your linking to any other site is entirely at your own risk. While Cloudeight Internet LLC. may provide links on this site to other sites, the inclusion of such links is for your convenience only and should not necessarily be interpreted as an endorsement of the owner/sponsor of the site or the content of the site or products advertised thereon.  Cloudeight Internet LLC further disclaims all warranties, express and implied, as to the accuracy, validity, legality or otherwise of any materials or information contained on such sites. All third party advertisements which appear on this site are served by Burst Media, Google, Inc, and/or FastClick. While Cloudeight makes reasonable efforts to ensure that no objectionable advertisements appear on our site, we cannot control the actions of these third party companies and therefore cannot be responsible for advertisements served by them.

NOTE: We encourage you to always read any EULA and Privacy Policy when clicking ads on our site and considering offers, products, services or software from 3rd party ads from Google and other sources.  We do our best to monitor the third party sites which MAY appear on our Web sites. However we cannot monitor them all. We URGE you to read the privacy policy and EULA of any products you buy, download, or install no matter where you buy or download it from.

inthewildteam

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 03:20:21 AM »
Burstmedia and fastclick.............. not for me thank you.

Sojourner

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 03:34:49 AM »
Re: third party info --- I would think that has no bearing on the backup program that Cloud8 developed; it is not the same as the products they sell for other companies, is it? Cloud8 is very much against any kind of spy-ware, so I don't understand all that page on third party advertising.  ???

inthewildteam

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 03:47:07 AM »
Re: third party info --- I would think that has no bearing on the backup program that Cloud8 developed; it is not the same as the products they sell for other companies, is it? Cloud8 is very much against any kind of spy-ware, so I don't understand all that page on third party advertising.  ???

Cut and pasted from cloudeights t&c

Have you run any spyware programmes on your pc Adaware or Spybot are the first that spring to mind.

inthewildteam

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2004, 04:07:27 AM »
This is from burst (you also sign up to this by installing the software)

Third-Party Measurement Services

Often, advertisers will employ a third-party service provider other than BURST! for serving the advertisements and for tracking the performance of an ad program. These companies may employ cookie and 1x1 pixel technology to measure and improve the effectiveness of ads for their client. These companies may collect and use anonymous information about your visits to our member websites and other websites.The information collected can include:

* Date/time of your visit
    * The banner ad that was shown
    * Their cookie
    * Your IP address
    * The URLs of sites you visit

The fastclick site doesn't load their privacy policy (no surprise there then)

If this isn't enough of a clue I don't know what is.  You just agreed to this by using cloudeights programme.  we're already onto third party times two agreements.  

Why would any site want to log your ip addy and the sites you visit unless it was for targeted advertisments or for sale as an active address?

Sojourner

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2004, 04:12:59 AM »
inthewildteam,
Are you asking if I run Ad-aware and/or other programs to check for spy-ware? Yes, regularly. I use stationery from Cloud8 and have never had any spy-ware of any kind; I don't, however, buy anything from them, not even the email program;(I got it free for taking part in the testing during beta). I also have Spyware Blaster. With SP2, I wonder if that is enough? ???

inthewildteam

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2004, 04:39:43 AM »
inthewildteam,
Are you asking if I run Ad-aware and/or other programs to check for spy-ware? Yes, regularly. I use stationery from Cloud8 and have never had any spy-ware of any kind; I don't, however, buy anything from them, not even the email program;(I got it free for taking part in the testing during beta). I also have Spyware Blaster. With SP2, I wonder if that is enough? ???

It's good that you are spyware free, my replies mean simply read all of the agreements when you download this software, or any from the web.  burstmedia and fastclick (linked to your programme link) of cloudeight might mean you get more than you bargain for.  It's a whole different ball game with 1x1 pixel technology, and ip tracking.  just clicking on an add in the programme you mention can lead to privacy invasion by other companies linked to it and excluded from cloudeights t&c's
I apologise if my replies seemed too authoritarian (I'm ex services and used to giving orders) it's just that I hold my privacy dear and the thought of allowing a company to track my way on the internet is a little to orwellian for me.

If my replies seemed somewhat terse, it's because I spent a long time making sure my ideas were implimented in the shortest time and without regard to feelings.  That's a failing I should redress now I'm retired.  I apologise if I have upset you, but still stand by the original meaning of my posts.

Sojourner

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2004, 05:14:24 AM »
inthewildteam,
These discussions are good; we are talking about facts, not feelings, so it is OK!  ;)
The fact is I don't intend to allow any tracking of my Internet activities, either. The only thing I have gotten is data miners from downloading gifs, and Ad-aware gets rid of them for me right away.  :)
I appreciate the information you provided; it reminds me to always be on the alert and to not take any web site for granted.
Were you a Marine?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2004, 06:15:30 AM »
I looked at their website.
We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our Web site.
Simply said, it is adware. Something I definatly don't like. They use malware and therefor it is not recommended to use. We already have enough people on this board and in other places that need help.

Sojourner

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2004, 06:29:59 AM »
I looked at their website.
We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our Web site.
Simply said, it is adware. Something I definatly don't like. They use malware and therefor it is not recommended to use. We already have enough people on this board and in other places that need help.
OK, Eddy ---I don't like it either! I can live without their stationery. Thank you for your input.  :)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2004, 03:14:07 PM »
I don't like it either! I can live without their stationery.
But I like your stationary. :'(
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet