Author Topic: I can't delete viruses on the scan results page.Does anyone have any ideas  (Read 3601 times)

acayou

I'm new at this and the apply button on that page can't be used ???

SafeSurf

Hello acayou and welcome to the forum.

What kind of scan did you do?  Did it find viruses while scanning?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Which is(are) the error(s) message(s)?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Not everything listed in the results is a virus, so we need more information as has been requested.

I'm going to take a stab at this being a custom scan and you had it scan memory ?

Or that they are files that can't be scanned for whatever reason ?

In both of the above the apply button is likely to be greyed out, inactive as a) items in memory aren't physical files and b) files that can't be scanned are just that and you wouldn't want to take action.

So as you can hopefully see we need more information.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

acayou

I am looking at the last scan that was done and there was memory in the items to be scanned. It is a custom scan and I have all harddisks,system drive, auto start programs, rootkits(full scan), and c:\documents and settings\user\mydocuments\* set to be scanned. Let me know if you need more info Thanks :)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
I'm new at this and the apply button on that page can't be used
as you are new i recomend using the default scans, quick/full with default settings, they are good enough for the normal user

This happend bc you are playing with the scan settings, and not knowing what the result will be. Using custom scan and ticking the "Scan memory" option
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:04:06 PM by Pondus »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I am looking at the last scan that was done and there was memory in the items to be scanned. It is a custom scan and I have all harddisks,system drive, auto start programs, rootkits(full scan), and c:\documents and settings\user\mydocuments\* set to be scanned. Let me know if you need more info Thanks :)

When doing a Custom scan in which you have elected to scan Memory and that all these detections are in memory or are listings of files that can't be scanned. Since they aren't physical files they can't be moved to the chest, deleted, etc. so there is no action that can be taken, hence the Apply button being greyed out.

The detections in memory are frequently other security applications loading unencrypted virus signatures into memory. Having set off a scan of memory by an antivirus application looking for virus signatures, don't be too surprised if it finds some in memory.

So if you can give some examples of the items in the list will help us to help you.

What other security applications do you have installed ?

The pre-defined scans are more than adequate, when you consider that avast is a resident on-access antivirus, files that are a threat, present an immediate risk if infected (.exe, .com, .dll, etc.) are scanned when a) created, b) modified or c) you try to run them, then they will be scanned.

This actually lessen the need to do an on-demand scan as for the most part you would be scanning files that are otherwise dormant or they would already have been scanned by the file system shield.

I do a weekly Quick scan and a monthly Full System scan, no custom scan, no archives (they are inert until you extract and try to run the files).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

acayou

Thank you, I will use the standard scans and I have removed memory from the scan anyway. Thanks for the welcome scansurf and thanks everybody

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You're welcome.

Seany007

Re: I can't delete viruses on the scan results page.Does anyone have any ideas
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 12:14:40 PM »
Same prob here

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: I can't delete viruses on the scan results page.Does anyone have any ideas
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 06:56:12 PM »
Then follow the topic and answer the questions asked of the original poster (OP) ?