Author Topic: aswRdr and PC Tools Firewall Plus  (Read 5495 times)

TwoShoes

aswRdr and PC Tools Firewall Plus
« on: January 03, 2011, 10:17:11 PM »
Quite often during bootup I get a popup from PC Tools FW saying "Services and Controller app is attempting to load driver aswRdr".  Options are to Allow or Block but the Checkbox for Remember My Answer is grayed out.  Anyone know of a way to eliminate this popup?

Avast is 5.0.677 and PC Tools is 6.0.0.88.

Thanks

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: aswRdr and PC Tools Firewall Plus
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 10:27:57 PM »
Quite often during bootup I get a popup from PC Tools FW saying "Services and Controller app is attempting to load driver aswRdr".  Options are to Allow or Block but the Checkbox for Remember My Answer is grayed out.  Anyone know of a way to eliminate this popup?

Avast is 5.0.677 and PC Tools is 6.0.0.88.

Thanks

If I understand your post correctly, and PC Tools FW is giving you the Pop Up Options...wouldn't it be preferable to contact PC Tools support and ask them this question. ???
If I have misunderstood my appologies. :-\

TwoShoes

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 05:12:47 AM »
Thanks for replying and yes your thinking is correct about the problem, it is a PC Tools issue and no apology is necessary.  However the first thing they will probably ask is what does aswRdr do and I have no idea.  I came here first because I know that some Avast users also use the PC Tools FW and that maybe someone knows a way around needing to always respond to this annoying popup.  Or maybe someone can give me a reasonable question with some background to ask PC Tools. 

This problem is happening on a PC running XP SP3 with all patches applied.  I have another PC running Vista (again with all patches applied) with the exact versions of the involved software without every getting a popup.  So it appears that not all OSs see this issue.

Again, thanks for your reply.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 05:26:12 AM »
Thanks for replying and yes your thinking is correct about the problem, it is a PC Tools issue and no apology is necessary.  However the first thing they will probably ask is what does aswRdr do and I have no idea.  I came here first because I know that some Avast users also use the PC Tools FW and that maybe someone knows a way around needing to always respond to this annoying popup.  Or maybe someone can give me a reasonable question with some background to ask PC Tools. 

This problem is happening on a PC running XP SP3 with all patches applied.  I have another PC running Vista (again with all patches applied) with the exact versions of the involved software without every getting a popup.  So it appears that not all OSs see this issue.

Again, thanks for your reply.

Yes I understand, and you are welcome. Unfortunately, I have not used any PC tools product so am not in a position to offer anything relevant.
I'm sure that other users or evangelists will respond with more information as too compatibility and potential pop ups
Good Luck. ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 05:37:26 AM »
Well this thing has been going on with PC Tools for some considerable time, see http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66958 and why it isn't remembering your allow selection.

Check the last post on that page and see if that is what you have done, and if not try that.
Quote from: from jaysonboy88 in the above reference
I have the same problem but I think I found an answer... open Firewall plus open the Applications tab then click the ADD button when the select window opens navigate to the c:\windows\system32\drivers directory select the ASWRDR.SYS file and click OPEN the file should have permissions set..make sure the IN and Out are set to ALLOW and ALLOW ALL u can then click REFRESH ..next time u boot u shouldn't get the alert anymore

Also see avast forum topic http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=62761.0.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

TwoShoes

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 05:47:09 AM »
Thank you both for the replies.  I will check that out in the morning and let you know what I have found.  Have a good night.

SafeSurf

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 07:52:40 AM »
I also had this problem when testing this firewall (FW).  I found by installing Avast first, then the FW under Advanced settings, I was able to disable the pop-up because it was no longer greyed out.  I think the order of installation had something to do with it.  However I also had a problem with the FW not being stealth on testing as well, therefore I do not use it as you can see from my Signature.

I should mention that others I have helped here using PCT FW still had the problem as David has mentioned; perhaps I was lucky in my testing or had the persistence in uninstalling and installing in that particular order...we'll never know.

It would be helpful to those of us helping you if you could add you Signature to your Profile to something similar to David and mine.  Please go to PROFILE on the top of the main forum page > Modify Profile > Forum Profile Information > Signature.   Enter information about your system like the Operating System (OS), RAM, browser, security software, what version and product of Avast and firewall you use and other items you wish to mention.  Thank you.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.  :)

TwoShoes

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 03:35:27 PM »
I have added aswRdr.sys to the FW so will have to see what it does.  I will post back with the results.  Thanks to all.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 04:52:37 PM »
You're welcome, good luck.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

daaf

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 05:10:42 PM »
PC Tools  6.0.0.88 is a old version

The new version is 7.0.0.111 where the checkbox grayout and other problems are resolved.

see here http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68601

working fine here with avast free, threatfire and sandboxie

daaf ;)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 05:12:46 PM by daaf »

TwoShoes

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 11:32:37 PM »
Thanks Daaf.  I run the "Smart Update" frequently and it always tells me my FW is up to date.  Never mentioned a new version, I will download and install it.