Author Topic: Behavior Shield Superantispyware  (Read 4466 times)

slybo

Behavior Shield Superantispyware
« on: January 04, 2011, 11:04:10 AM »
I want to say I am not having a problem but thought I should post this so avast team could see it. On my old xp computer when I updated superantispyware avast(free version on this computer) would show item scanned of superantispyware. Today it also blocked an item that looks to be related to superantispyware but caused no problem with the update. Also under the Behavior Shield txt file there is no log of this. I also have Behavior Shield set to allow, did not change that. I know Behavior Shield is not fully working and this would explain some of this. Just thought you might want to see this, will try to post a photo.

MikeN92

Re: Behavior Shield Superantispyware
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 01:14:41 PM »
SSUPDATE.EXE must be from Superantispyware but are you sure that -DF2C3C.tmp is from Superantispyware? Also, bloking it when you have it set to allow is weird. ???

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 01:26:51 PM »
add it to trusted software in the behavior shield expert settings. It's probably a temp exe to update SAS so just get the path as soon as it's in the temp folder.

slybo

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 01:36:59 PM »
Thanks Logos will try that, but was mainly wanting avast to know about it. Did a search on google and found this site http://www.im-infected.com/worm/w32-sillyfdc-bcd.html  but I am sure that I am not infected it just picked this up from the superantispyware update I would think if I had W32.SillyFDC.BCD on my computer the other shields would have found it, right? Forgot to say that site shows the file that was blocked DF2C3C.tmp as part of that worm.

slybo

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 02:38:29 PM »
Logos added but it still shows superspyware as analyzed but there is 0 blocked. I added the file it found C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\SSUPDATE.EXE tried it then added two more just to see if it would make a difference, C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERANTISPYWARE.EXE and C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SSUpdate.exe , but it will show analyzed with 0 blocked. Guess this is the way it works? will only affect the blocked? not the analyzed?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 04:45:04 PM »
If you check your 1st image again you will see that it isn't SSUpdate.exe being blocked but ~DF2C3C.tmp.

I have SAS Pro and no such blocked ~DF2C3C.tmp file (the name of which is likely to change). I don't have SAS set as a trusted process, not to mention adding the program files location won't have any impact.

I have just initiated a manual SAS Pro update and I monitored both the Temp folder mentioned and the Behaviour Shield. I didn't get any ~DFxxxx.tmp file created and the ssupdate.exe was analysed by the behaviour shield.

So I don't believe that this ~DF2C3C.tmp file has anything to do with the SAS Update
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

slybo

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 05:20:22 PM »
I understand DavidR, at first I thought that because they both showed up at the same time. Also because I thought that Behavior Shield was only going to analyze for now untill later version, so why would it block something. So I put all that together and said what I did. So why is it blocking something if it is not suppose to be working but just going to analyze for now, that is what I read in other posts? Just to be sure I just finished running a boot scan with avast and it came up clean and now have a scan with superantspyware running and will do a malwarebyte scan next and will report here when finished.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 05:36:00 PM »
It reports what action would have been taken, but it is still passive, the idea of showing it as blocked would be to alert you to it, which it clearly has.

So on investigation you should a) empty the Temp folder b) do as you are doing initiate other scans and c) monitor your system to see if it re occurs and try to remember what you were doing at the time.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

slybo

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 05:45:57 PM »
Ok I did not understand it that way. I was thought it would not show it, it shows it but does not take action. Makes more sense now. I ran ccleaner which is suppose to clear the temp, also looked at the folder and the file is not there. I guess I could have cleared it out and did not realize that I had because I did not look at the folder first. Superantispyware just came up clean. Will start malwarebytes next. Thanks for all your help.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 06:18:18 PM »
You're welcome.

slybo

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 06:23:08 PM »
Malwarebytes also came up clean. Thanks for the help in clearing up my confusion.

Offline Hopper15

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 10:14:28 PM »
Superantispyware screwed up my registry and killed my hard drive.  I would get rid of it. 
Win 8.1 64 bit 16GB Avast Free/Malwarebytes Pro/CCleaner

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 11:03:41 PM »
Strange SAS has never cause any issue in over three years that I have been using it.

MAG

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 11:13:24 PM »
I've also had no major problems with SAS in about 3 years of use (other than the odd system freeze during scans) - certainly never noticed any damage to the system.