Author Topic: Avast Web shield  (Read 53552 times)

DAV2

Avast Web shield
« on: January 04, 2011, 05:56:58 PM »
How do you get Avast web shield to slow down? IT scans 10's of thousands without finding anything and slows down the computer in the process. It is set at defalt. Thanks.

DAV2

Re: Avast Web shield
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 06:00:15 PM »
The web site is 96.17.106.39

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 06:01:59 PM »
The web site is 96.17.106.39

that's Akamai, so what?

DAV2

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 06:04:18 PM »
What is Akamai and why does it get scanned 10 of thousands of times?

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 06:07:55 PM »
What is Akamai and why does it get scanned 10 of thousands of times?

might be because Akamai is associated with thousands and thousands of ISPs and web sites to offer a few million mirrors worldwide ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akamai_Technologies

DAV2

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 06:12:31 PM »
Thanks. So why is Akamai mirroring my computer and how do I stop it and does this have anything to do with Avast file system shield not working and how do I fix it? Thanks in advance.

Hermite15

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 06:18:10 PM »
Thanks. So why is Akamai mirroring my computer and how do I stop it and does this have anything to do with Avast file system shield not working and how do I fix it? Thanks in advance.

Akamai mirroring your computer ??? are you serious? ;D Akamai is mirroring some sites that you browse, and most likely your ISP's servers ok? ;)

And on aside note, neither the FS shield nor the webshield slow down anything when browsing. If it's the case for you then either your Avast setup is broken, or something conflicts with it etc... may be have a look at other software (especially security software) installed on your PC.

DAV2

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 06:24:32 PM »
Thanks. Do you think this has anything to do with Malwarebytes saying it is over 14 days old each time I run it daily after update. I am running it on 2 identical secured computers and only one is acting this way. Thanks in advance.

Hermite15

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 06:31:16 PM »
Thanks. Do you think this has anything to do with Malwarebytes saying it is over 14 days old each time I run it daily after update. I am running it on 2 identical secured computers and only one is acting this way. Thanks in advance.

no this shouldn't be related. You got the paid version of MBAM (resident)?... as to your message, no idea, update/license issue?

DAV2

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 06:32:50 PM »
Ok I turned off Bloomberg and the scan slowed down, but the computer remains slow. The other computer does not do the 10 of thousand of scans with Bloomberg. This computer still does not do the File system shield. How do I fix it? Thank you in advance.

Hermite15

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 06:38:00 PM »
Ok I turned off Bloomberg and the scan slowed down, but the computer remains slow. The other computer does not do the 10 of thousand of scans with Bloomberg. This computer still does not do the File system shield. How do I fix it? Thank you in advance.

look it's hard to say without a direct access to your computer, could be million of things... may be as a first step uninstall Avast, reboot, and re-install it. See if there is any difference. Also get rid of other security software if any (except mbam). btw what do MBAM scans say, nothing, no infection? As to Bloomberg that you said you "turned off", does that mean that you excluded it from the web shield scope? or do you have any bloomberg related desktop utilities?

DAV2

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 06:47:34 PM »
Thanks and sorry about being so vague. Mbam always says clean on scan except on the original load of Genuine Win 7 Pro. The Bloomberg was only Bloomberg TV on IE 8. I closed the page. I will try to reload Avast. Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 06:49:08 PM by DAV2 »

DAV2

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 07:56:25 PM »
Thanks for all the help. Removing Avast fixed the problems. I was wondering why every time I closed Microsoft Word I got the error message trying to print, even though I never told it to print. It now is back to full speed and Mbam scans in about less than 15 minutes like usual instead of nearly forever. I wish Avast would tell me in a friendlier way when it is broken. Thanks again.

Hermite15

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 08:04:11 PM »
might have been just an issue with the behavior shield. It got slightly modified in version 5.1, and there are issues. So you could have just uninstalled the module instead of uninstalling Avast completely. May be try to re-install, but choose "custom setup" and uncheck "behavior shield".

DAV2

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 08:18:51 PM »
"Trojan.FakeMS" was found by Mbam after Avast removed. Do you know what this does? First one found by Mbam after over 1 yr of scanning.